Author Topic: Marbury expected to be released.  (Read 25463 times)

Re: Marbury expected to be released.
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2008, 05:05:32 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I am sure this has been posted at some point in the past but I just thought I'd remind people who were talking about.

This man has lost his mind.

Hahaha. Yeah, we don't want to go there.... I'll stick with Eddie House.  ;D

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I would love to see Marbury on the Celtics! I mean cmon guys we could have a 2 times all star as our backup point guard. He already said he likes player with KG. But, as to his behavior i think KG will keep him in line. ;)

I think House will be our backup PG. As for the 3rd string PG, well, Cassell made an All-Star appearance and All-NBA Team more recently than Marbury.

Btw, Marbury and KG are not best friends, far from it.

No, please. I cannot think a worse option in terms of team chemistry (well,perhaps Radolph or Blount).

I consider Blount a choir boy next to Marbury. I'd rate Marbury's ability to implode a team as Artestesque.

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2008, 08:32:16 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I would love to see Marbury on the Celtics! I mean cmon guys we could have a 2 times all star as our backup point guard. He already said he likes player with KG. But, as to his behavior i think KG will keep him in line. ;)

I think House will be our backup PG. As for the 3rd string PG, well, Cassell made an All-Star appearance and All-NBA Team more recently than Marbury.

No, please. I cannot think a worse option in terms of team chemistry (well,perhaps Radolph or Blount).

I consider Blount a choir boy next to Marbury. I'd rate Marbury's ability to implode a team as Artestesque.

cordobes doing what he does best - sparing my fingers the work...agreed in whole, TPs aplenty  ;D

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2008, 11:15:31 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I am sure this has been posted at some point in the past but I just thought I'd remind people who were talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxgbyYrT5A

This man has lost his mind.

Wow. That video was bizarre.

Key points:
-He felt he needed to apologized to KG (not a good relationship)
-He said he's not interested in the trophy - it can't get you billions of dollars
-He got really excited about kissing his sister
-He started yelling like a madman

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

corbobes racking up a very well deserved TP for his creation of a new word into the basketball vernacular, Artestesque.

Great word, it is so self explanatory it doesn't even need to be defined.

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Well, I don't think Marbury is good enough anymore to implode a team (they would just cut him if he started to go the wrong way). 

I think Marbury is one of the most interesting figures in the NBA.  I genuinely think he is a good guy.  I think he absolutely has the best intentions, and I think he will continue to do very good things for the community, no matter where he goes.

Then you contrast that with the fact that he is either completely insane...or more likely just never matured past the emotional age of about 13, and it makes one of the most interesting characters in Sports.

What I am saying is although you are right that he does have an uncanny ability to break a team apart, he is not Ron Artest.  Artest is absolutely insane, and from what I gather, not a great guy either. 

But anyways...I agree that I don't want him on this team.

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2008, 11:49:18 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I think he absolutely has the best intentions, and I think he will continue to do very good things for the community, no matter where he goes.

yes, he's been quite a big boon to young dancers in every community he's been  a part of  ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2008, 12:52:05 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
no thanks
even tought hes an upgrade over sammie
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2008, 01:24:30 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
The prospect of having him in green is intriguing in a number of different ways.  I seriously doubt that it will ever come close to happening though.  He would certainly be entertaining, and we don't have a clear solution for the back-up point at this moment.

We've spent the offseason rolling the dice with most of our aquisitions, and yet another one of the Starbury magnitude...

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2008, 01:46:30 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
The thought of having Marbury in Green makes me Nauseous. I could see him and Ray Allen becoming great friends. ;)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2008, 02:11:29 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train!!!

...maybe marbury could take that as a theme song each time he scores...

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
The perfect team for Marbury would be the Nuggets.  He'd fit right in with the thugster, the snitchster, Blotter Smith and Martin.....And George Karl would be watching Coby's games in a straitjacket.

The Garnett influence is overrated.  Handling "characters" is Rivers' biggest weakness.  Bringing in a bunch of character-challenged players will exploit that.  We already have Miles.  One is enough.

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Handling "characters" is Rivers' biggest weakness.  Bringing in a bunch of character-challenged players will exploit that.  We already have Miles.  One is enough.

This is an interesting statement.  I don't want to get too much off topic here, but I think it is relevant when discussing bringing in a guy like Marbury.

By most accounts one of Rivers greatest strengths is in dealing with the personalities, motivating players, and getting them to play together.  He is known for the most part as a "players coach", who numerous players have named as one of their favorite to play for, mainly because of the way he deals with the players.

So are you disagreeing with this sentiment, or do you think that his style, as a "players coach" does not work with some of these real headcases?  Perhaps guys like Marbury or Miles need more structure and discipline to keep them in line? 

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2008, 02:53:46 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Handling "characters" is Rivers' biggest weakness.  Bringing in a bunch of character-challenged players will exploit that.  We already have Miles.  One is enough.

This is an interesting statement.  I don't want to get too much off topic here, but I think it is relevant when discussing bringing in a guy like Marbury.

By most accounts one of Rivers greatest strengths is in dealing with the personalities, motivating players, and getting them to play together.  He is known for the most part as a "players coach", who numerous players have named as one of their favorite to play for, mainly because of the way he deals with the players.

So are you disagreeing with this sentiment, or do you think that his style, as a "players coach" does not work with some of these real headcases?  Perhaps guys like Marbury or Miles need more structure and discipline to keep them in line? 
Yes, Chris.  Or the actual desire to fit in.  It appears that neither Miles, nor Marbury has ever had that in their DNA.

Danny gutted the team of "character" players IMHO, because Rivers has shown no history of compentently handling character issues since he started coaching.  Blount thrived under Obie and hasn't under anybody else.  But the way Rivers handled Blount....As in through the press...was sophomoric at best.  (Garnett, in Minnesota, in spite of his normal herculean intensity, wasn't able to get Blount to play any better.)  Ditto for Banks.  Ricky was handled in an equally classless way as Blount post-trade. O'Grady disgracefully tanked for a trade to get out from under Rivers.   I don't see handling players like this as a strength.  But a weakness of Rivers'.  Marbury is one of those players.  I'm sure some might think the fact that Garnett is Marbury's buddy is somehow potentially a positive.  I don't.  I'm sure Marbury had plenty of buddys in New York.  Like Cassell, I'm positive that Marbury thinks he's still an elite player.  He never was.  There is no way he plays a supporting role without being the disruption that he has a history of even when he was the featured player on his team.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:04:48 PM by iowa plowboy »

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2008, 03:00:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Yes, Chris.  Or the actual desire to fit in.  It appears that neither Miles, nor Marbury has ever had that in their DNA.

Danny gutted the team of "character" players IMHO, because Rivers has shown no history of compentently handling character issues since he started coaching.  Blount thrived under Obie and hasn't under anybody else.  But the way Rivers handled Blount....As in through the press...was sophomoric at best.  Ditto for Banks.  Ricky was handled in an equally classless way as Blount post-trade. O'Grady disgracefully tanked for a trade to get out from under Rivers.   I don't see handling players like this as a strength.  But a weakness of Rivers'.

Well, I disagree about him being classless with the way he handled the players...but we will just have to agree to disagree on that (I am sure we have argued it plenty in the past anyways).  I definitely do see how someone like Marbury would cause problems with Rivers though. 

He always seems to have the most trouble with guys who think they are much better than they are.  He doesn't just sit there and humor them like some other coaches do.  So it would probably not end well.

But I will say that I think in general, Doc does a great job of managing personalities, it is just that one personality type who dont seem to respond well to his style.