Author Topic: Marbury expected to be released.  (Read 25466 times)

Re: Marbury expected to be released.
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2008, 10:11:44 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Question: Would you guys trade a second round pick for Steve Francis to have him back up Rondo?

i'm not sure the relevance of this question but yes, i would. i feel francis is old enough/mature enough now to take that backup role, where marbury is not.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2008, 10:13:35 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Question: Would you guys trade a second round pick for Steve Francis to have him back up Rondo?

i'm not sure the relevance of this question but yes, i would. i feel francis is old enough/mature enough now to take that backup role, where marbury is not.

I agree that he might me mature enough.  However right now I don't think he is even better than Cassell
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2008, 10:37:27 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I agree that he might me mature enough.  However right now I don't think he is even better than Doc Rivers

I corrected your post. ;)

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2008, 11:19:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If this guy stays out of trouble and get his head screw on correctly, he can still average 18 points and 6 assist. In my opinion.
I would rather put my money on the 'if' Miles is healthy than the 'if' Marbury stays out of trouble, and I don't even have much confidence in Miles.

There is nothing in Marbury's history to justify thinking that he could exist on a team as a backup without trying to start a revolution.

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2008, 11:35:47 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
I'd love to have Marbury, he can't be any worse of a team player than Sam

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2008, 08:24:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Actually, yes he could be. As much as we, the fans, were at times appalled by Sam's non-ubuntu style of play last year, from all accounts his team mates loved him and will be welcoming him back. Sam's style might not be what some of us like to see but he is a team type of guy.

KG, had troubles with Marbury in the past. Everyone on the Knicks hates the guy and he has left sour tastes in the mouths of team mates in Phoenix, Jersey, Minnesota and anywhere else he has ever been.

Marbury defended a guy that ran a pitbull dogfighting syndicate, for Pete's sake. That's all I need to know about the guy to know I would not want him here.

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2008, 09:07:59 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Marbury defended a guy that ran a pitbull dogfighting syndicate, for Pete's sake. That's all I need to know about the guy to know I would not want him here.

I wouldn't say "defended" him. It was more that he was pointing out the hypocrisy of US society getting offended by it when hunting deer and such is considered a sport, which, when you think about it, is a valid point - whether you agree or not. It's not like Marbury was saying it was okay to dogfight. (Not to my recollection)

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2008, 09:08:43 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
No Marbury please...he doesn't pass the ball, he wants to start, he is a locker room cancer, he is crazy...

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2008, 10:37:59 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
No, please. I cannot think a worse option in terms of team chemistry (well,perhaps Radolph or Blount).

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2008, 12:13:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I can't really get my head around the fact that Darius Miles has an 80% Celticsblog approval rating and yet very few here would be in favor of signing Marbury as the back up point guard?

I'm not a fan of either but I'd strongly prefer Marbury. Marbury is the bigger talent with the better career. If Miles is less scrutinized it's only because he's had less time in the spotlight.

Miles has said all the right things in the past year about wanting to come back and play for a winner.  I can't think of a time when Starbury has ever said anything close to the right thing.  I think people are also excited about Miles because he has some potential.  This will be the first time in his career where he will have positive role models and it just so happens that he grew up idolizing KG. 

Ah..potential. Every Celtics fan's favorite word (and Danny Ainge's.)

haha.  I know that word has been beat to death on this site (Gerald Green representing all that is wrong with "potential") but that doesn't mean that it isn't important.  Our team is not exactly full of future stars.  We have a couple guys with some potential and I think we need them all in hopes that maybe one of them could wind up being a great player who extends our championship-caliber play.  At one point in his career Darius Miles was thought to be a franchise player.  He is only 26 and he has never been in anywhere near as good of a situation as he is in right now.  If he is ever gonna have a chance to reach his potential this is it.

I agree. Though I am not overly excited with the Miles acquistion, I do find it an intriguing one.  What worries me is the guy hasn't played a full schedule in two years. However, everyone seems to be saying and from all accounts on his stats, even if he becomes 90% healthy by December, he could be a monster for the Celtics.  Plus Portland will pay for his salary if he plays more than a certain amount of time so really it's a low-risk, high-reward move by the Cs. If we could only get rid of useless Scalabrine.

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Actually, yes he could be. As much as we, the fans, were at times appalled by Sam's non-ubuntu style of play last year, from all accounts his team mates loved him and will be welcoming him back. Sam's style might not be what some of us like to see but he is a team type of guy.

KG, had troubles with Marbury in the past. Everyone on the Knicks hates the guy and he has left sour tastes in the mouths of team mates in Phoenix, Jersey, Minnesota and anywhere else he has ever been.

so you think a guy that threatened to blackmail his GM over losing his starting job is going to be a smooth transition as a backup player getting 10-15 minutes a night behind a young point gaurd?

hahaha...ha.. *wipes away tear* he'd be in the boston media calling out his owner and teamates as morons and that he should start 5 minutes after rajon had his first subpar game.

also, comparing sam and marbury's ablity to accept comming off the bench is laughable. i never heard sam open his mouth once.

star can't keep it shut.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2008, 12:35:53 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
This topic is still being hotly debated? Long summer huh?

He looks good in green...

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Hate to bring up an old subject.
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54439/20080918/marbury_expected_to_be_waived/
  If he is released, where do you all think he will go? He is not gonna get alot of money, well maybe over seas he will. So who will take the chance/cancer? Celtics?

I think a team like the Clippers could take a chance on him for the min.  They already have enough head cases there that he would fit right in.  After losing Brand they have been scrambling to get as much talent as possible.  He could be a solid contrubutor off the bench.  If not then you just cut him.

They already have enough guards but a little competition among J-Will, Ricky D, Eric Gordon, and B-Diddy couldn't hurt. 

Or maybe it could  :-\

That would be a fun train wreck to watch...J-Will, Ricky Davis, Baron, and Starbury all in the same locker room?  Who would even survive the season??? :P

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2008, 01:04:57 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I am sure this has been posted at some point in the past but I just thought I'd remind people who were talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxgbyYrT5A

This man has lost his mind.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2008, 02:08:28 PM »

Offline Jellyman15

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
I would love to see Marbury on the Celtics! I mean cmon guys we could have a 2 times all star as our backup point guard. He already said he likes player with KG. But, as to his behavior i think KG will keep him in line. ;)