Author Topic: Marbury expected to be released.  (Read 25317 times)

Re: Marbury expected to be released.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 11:16:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
the consensus so far is that marbury would be a great celtic if only he would decide that everything he has thought about himself needs to be completely altered and if he would only forego his enmorous, life long love affair with himself and suddenly become a team player who would give up personal recognization and stats so that other would benefit on his team...

he would be great.

i agree he would. but then, i dont think he would marbury, would he?
He would have been a great Knick if he could do that. The problem is, like you said, he can't. He is who he is. He needs a personality transplant.

Btw, for the earlier poster -- the Celtics aren't a fantasy team. Wins are the only stats that matter. Sacrificing wins for others stats is not a good idea.

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 04:52:37 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I'm saying this under my breath so no one really hears me.

"I'd quite like to see Stephon Marbury in Celtics Green."

:-[

Seriously.....why?     

Because he's still got great talent, he has good history with KG and if his head was right he would be the best back-up point in the NBA. Although, I'd like the name "Starbury" dropped.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 04:59:57 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
I would definitely like him more than Cassell.

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 05:02:46 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

I can see why people don't want him though. Head case, selfish, arrogant etc. I just feel that if he gets his head together, with a little help from KG, he could be a great addition to this team.

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 07:59:44 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Why do people assume he still has great talent?  He hasn't been above average in years, and even when he was in his prime his teams consistenly lost. 

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 08:22:08 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Big numbers on bad teams is not an accurate measure of talent.  Its more a function of how much of a green light that player has.  When Marbury put up big numbers he always had the ball in his hands and did whatever he wanted with it. Lots of players do this.  Antoine was an allstar who averaged over 20/game when he had that green light.  But numbers were a better reflection of his talent on dallas and miami.  Ricky Davis averaged over 20 on Cleveland.  Even Mike James averaged around 19 per game for a bad Toronto team.
To use a term that I believe Ainge once used about Antoine- I think a lot of Marbury's numbers were due to his "stranglehold of the organization".  And that was pretty much the case on Minny, Phoenix, and New Jersey in Marbury's case.  When the green light wasn't on all the time like in New York, he just wasn't very good.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »

Offline nykid84

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
I really hope the Celtics don't make the mistake of signing this guy. Marbury is a straight up cancer.

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 10:24:14 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Why mess with success?

Sure, if this were the Pats i'd say go for it! then again...those aren't guarenteed contracts.

Obviously the Celts have the veteran leaders in town to keep guys in line, but Stephon marbury isn't right in the head...really, he's just not.  The guy thinks he's god's gift to basketball -- he's mentioned, several times now, that he'd be willing to go over to Europe and pull a "Beckham."  Does anyone really think that, if Marbury went to Europe, he would be doing the NBA a great justice?  When Beckham came here, he was supposed to rekindle soccer in the United States....i got news for you Stephon, basketball in Europe doesn't need Starbury to get kick started - it's already well on its way and there are plenty of ball players over there already who are more skilled than you are at this point in your career.

After many years in the leauge, most athletes begin to sacrafice personal gains for a shot at a championship.  Does anyone believe that Stephon is ready to sit on the bench for 35 minutes a game and watch Rondo (a guy who Stephon probably thinks he's still better than) go through the learning process? Do you think Stephon will jump around on the bench like a cheerleader every time someone makes a play -- ala Eddie $$ and the rest of the guys?

Keep Marbury out of Green.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 10:51:22 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I'm saying this under my breath so no one really hears me.

"I'd quite like to see Stephon Marbury in Celtics Green."

:-[

Seriously.....why?     

Because he's still got great talent, he has good history with KG and if his head was right he would be the best back-up point in the NBA. Although, I'd like the name "Starbury" dropped.
Has a good history with KG? Any links?

I just remember the article 2 weeks ago with KG telling Marbury's cousin that Marbury was crazy. I also remember Marbury bolting from the t-wolves.

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 10:53:01 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

I can see why people don't want him though. Head case, selfish, arrogant etc. I just feel that if he gets his head together, with a little help from KG, he could be a great addition to this team.
I'd rather count on Scalabrine leaning to fly than Marbury getting his head together.

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 11:45:35 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I say he ends up on the Heat, and it turns out to be a terrible decision for them.

(Subquestion; does anyone know why on Hoops World the HEAT are always listed in caps?)

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »

Online shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
There are few players with a ton of talent in the league that I wouldn't at least consider taking a look at for the Celtics. Starbury is definitely one of those players I wouldn't even think about entertaining a thought on, right up there with Kobe, Arenas, and Iverson.
I agree and I would add Artest to that list.   Although at this point in his career (or after this season when he is a FA) I wouldn't mind AI to play 30-35 MPG off the bench for us.  He is just so competitive that I bet he would be wiling to take a reduced role for a shot at the ring.  Also he seems like a smart enough and confident enough guy to be willing to bow down to the big 3.

Arenas, Starbury, and Kobe however need to be the main attraction on their team.  For some reason I feel like AI has gotten over that period of his career.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 03:36:21 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
There are few players with a ton of talent in the league that I wouldn't at least consider taking a look at for the Celtics. Starbury is definitely one of those players I wouldn't even think about entertaining a thought on, right up there with Kobe, Arenas, and Iverson.
I agree and I would add Artest to that list.   Although at this point in his career (or after this season when he is a FA) I wouldn't mind AI to play 30-35 MPG off the bench for us.  He is just so competitive that I bet he would be wiling to take a reduced role for a shot at the ring.  Also he seems like a smart enough and confident enough guy to be willing to bow down to the big 3.

Arenas, Starbury, and Kobe however need to be the main attraction on their team.  For some reason I feel like AI has gotten over that period of his career.

30-35 off the bench? Huh?

Not sure why Arenas is getting no love, I'm a huge fan of both him and his game. Ok, he's a little extravagant, but he's a very, very good player.

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 03:40:58 PM »

Online shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

Not sure why Arenas is getting no love, I'm a huge fan of both him and his game. Ok, he's a little extravagant, but he's a very, very good player.

Because he seems to care more about individual glory than actually winning.  He is an extremely hard worker but he is just not a very productive player.  Sort of like a younger Iverson.

Whats wrong with AI getting 30-35 MPG off the bench?
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Maybe because it's been proven time and time again that defense wins championships...and Agent Zero can't be bothered when it comes to that end of the court.