Author Topic: Will Joey Porter ever learn and just keep his big mouth shut.  (Read 10769 times)

Re: Will Joey Porter ever learn and just keep his big mouth shut.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 04:01:54 PM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
I don't think Joey Porter is to upset about his prediction right now.

My take: Cassel made mistakes, but this is what we expected, we knew it would happen sooner of later, it only his second start. I think most of this was on the defense. They gave up over 200 rushing yards. They killed us with the running game. They didn't stop them not ONCE until the 4rth quarter. Every other time they (the phins) had possession, they scored. You can't put that on Cassel.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Joey Porter was pretty dominant. I hope he continues to talk if it leads to performances like that!

Cassel looked bad. Almost every pass was a short dump off and it's hard to imagine no one was open downfield with the focus the fins had on pressuring Cassel. He should have been picked at least 3 times, and that isn't even counting another pass into the hands of a dolphin defensive back after the Patriot receiver missed the ball.

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 05:55:12 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
tom brady is not your "just manage the game" type of quarterback...he is one of the greatest players in the nfl - a true difference-maker.  cassel is not the answer...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 07:53:04 PM »

Offline Celtsfan33/34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
tom brady is not your "just manage the game" type of quarterback...he is one of the greatest players in the nfl - a true difference-maker.  cassel is not the answer...

It took Brady getting Randy Moss in his prime for him to not be a "manage the game" QB.  One fluke year doesn't erase all the others where Brady was the prototypical system QB.  Brady will NEVER be as good as Manning.  And if he's lucky he can crack the top 10 all-time QB list.  Team success has nothing to do with the single player either so remember that.  Brady=Jim Kelly with a better kicker.  Nothing more.

[Edited.  Trolling is not permitted.] -R.H. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:51:29 PM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics

It took Brady getting Randy Moss in his prime for him to not be a "manage the game" QB.  One fluke year doesn't erase all the others where Brady was the prototypical system QB.  Brady will NEVER be as good as Manning.  And if he's lucky he can crack the top 10 all-time QB list.  Team success has nothing to do with the single player either so remember that.  Brady=Jim Kelly with a better kicker.  Nothing more.

And as far as Joey Porter goes.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Pats got owned by an overrated, aging LB on a garbage defense. 

Really?  One of the greatest QBs of all time is a "manage the game" QB?  Last year was a fluke?  A guy that has two less Super Bowls and whose team is 1-2 is better than him?  Gimme a break dude.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 10:55:17 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
Why should he shut his mouth?  He is an athlete who gives an entertaining interview.  Would you rather turn on ESPN and hear every single player thank god and their moms every time they see a mic?  He wasn't even offensive!

plus... 3 sacks today, so... 

go celts!
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 11:08:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Man, I hate the Patriots as much as anyone, but just that fact that you would mention a QB and a top 10 list means the guy must be really good. Any QB in the top 10 all-time is amazing.

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 11:48:56 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45

Team success has everything to do with a single player, when the position happens to be quarterback.

Look at the Patriots current situation.

Argument over.

Even the die hard Patriot haters out there can STILL admit that Brady is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 11:56:43 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Why should he shut his mouth?  He is an athlete who gives an entertaining interview.  Would you rather turn on ESPN and hear every single player thank god and their moms every time they see a mic?  He wasn't even offensive!

plus... 3 sacks today, so... 

go celts!

The NFL has a long history of interviews and sound bites like that.  It started back with Broadway Joe and has always been a part of the game.  It definitely adds to the entertainment value of the games and the league.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 08:15:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I can't exactly say that I am stunned by what happened yesterday. The Pats defense did have me fooled a bit I guess because their preseason looked so bad and them they looked so good for the first two games. But yesterday they just showed exactly what was happening all preseason.

Except for Mayo, every single linebacker on that team should be ashamed of the game they played yesterday. They were beat to the spot every time, missed tackles, missed coverages, just couldn't cover or was two steps too slow rushing the passer. Mayo was okay but he has an excuse, he's a rookie. The rest of them were as bad as I've seen that linebacking corps in quite a while.

And the secondary was, in a word, pathetic. They played ten yards off the receiver at the line of scrimmage and yet still let the Dolphin receivers into the seems or under the coverage all day long. And their run stopping tackling was atrocious.

Oh, and can someone please let the offensive line know that it's not February again and that they have too actually put a block on someone.

Kudos to Porter, he said it and I doubted him. Of course, if you just keep predicting you are going to win a game every week sooner or later you're probably going to be right.

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 09:01:35 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
One silver lining I could take out of that game is that in Tom Brady's second career start, the Pats lost to the Dolphins 30-10.  Although I'm really reaching there, considering in 2001, the Dolphins were a good team, the game was in Miami, and Brady didn't make many mistakes.  Cassel looked awful.

If we're being honest, that was just a bad, bad game by the Patriots.  Give credit to the Dolphins on both sides of the ball, they had a great game plan and "threw the kitchen sink" at the Pats, offensively and defensively.

It sucks that they have a bye week now after a stinker like that, but maybe it will give them time to regroup.

On a side note, as bad as the play on the field was, I was more embarrassed by the video shots of all the "fans" leaving with about a full quarter of football to play, and all of the empty seats in view when that last field goal went up by Miami.  The Pats won 21 straight regular season games.  There are only 8 regular season home games per season, and a season ticket waiting list a mile long, and this is how "the greatest sports fans in the country" treat their team?  I hope beating the traffic was worth it.

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 10:16:41 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
One silver lining I could take out of that game is that in Tom Brady's second career start, the Pats lost to the Dolphins 30-10.  Although I'm really reaching there, considering in 2001, the Dolphins were a good team, the game was in Miami, and Brady didn't make many mistakes.  Cassel looked awful.

If we're being honest, that was just a bad, bad game by the Patriots.  Give credit to the Dolphins on both sides of the ball, they had a great game plan and "threw the kitchen sink" at the Pats, offensively and defensively.

It sucks that they have a bye week now after a stinker like that, but maybe it will give them time to regroup.

On a side note, as bad as the play on the field was, I was more embarrassed by the video shots of all the "fans" leaving with about a full quarter of football to play, and all of the empty seats in view when that last field goal went up by Miami.  The Pats won 21 straight regular season games.  There are only 8 regular season home games per season, and a season ticket waiting list a mile long, and this is how "the greatest sports fans in the country" treat their team?  I hope beating the traffic was worth it.

I agree with what you said about the Pats performance, but I can't blame the fans for leaving early.  My only argument against leaving early would be if you parked in the stadium lot, leaving early wasn't going to make a bit of difference.  Getting out of there is a nightmare.

Cassel was throwing some god awful looking passes yesterday.
Yup

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

I agree with what you said about the Pats performance, but I can't blame the fans for leaving early.  My only argument against leaving early would be if you parked in the stadium lot, leaving early wasn't going to make a bit of difference.  Getting out of there is a nightmare.

Cassel was throwing some god awful looking passes yesterday.

Well we can't expect Matt Cassell to put up 40 points.  He didn't play well, but when your defense is surrendering points on every drive, it's a lot to ask of Matt to go out there and throw the ball effectively on every play.

I put this square on Belichek, he got outcoached in every sense of the word by Sporano.  Pennington was untouched the entire game, 3-step drop passes were netting 15/20 yard gains, Fins running game got whatever they wanted, wherever they wanted it.

let's give credit to the dolphins, who have one hell of a running game right now.  If you can't stop the Brown/Williams combo, Pennington will eat you alive as well.  Say what you want about him, but when he has playmakers to work with he knows how to get them the ball and get out of the way.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 10:46:19 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
There's plenty of blame to go around for yesterday.  They were listless, and got caught with their pants down (repeatedly).   But I can't let Cassel go uncommented here.  Backup or not, he was WAY off on some pretty easy passes yesterday.  The whole thing was ugly.
Yup

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 10:49:51 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I wonder if there is a hundred point rule?  When this game goes to Miami the Dolphins may have negative net yardage in that game.  Belichick may never have his team more prepared than he does for that rematch.