Author Topic: Movies that looked good... but were awful  (Read 17598 times)

Re: Movies that looked good... but were awful
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 07:51:59 PM »

Offline Celtsfan33/34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
King Kong and Ali...Two of the worst movies I have ever seen.

King Kong wasn't great but it wasn't bad.  And Ali??  Will Smith was EXCELLENT in that movie.  Ali was an awesome movie.

As far as movies that didn't live up to the hype, Island of Dr. Moreau with Val Kilmer sucked.  And the first Hulk movie with Eric Bana was pretty bad too.

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 08:18:37 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
dark_lord is going to kill me with Force Lightning, but I have to say Phantom Menace was atrocious.

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 08:38:01 PM »

Offline FanInTheSouth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 4
There are several good examples previously posted that I would like to add on to and another movie that I didn't like and would like feedback...

The Happening:  Did anyone else feel like this was the same movie as War of the Worlds, just with a different enemy?

I am Lengend:  Never read the book, but I think it's automatically bad if 40 minutes into the movie you are begging for the lead character to get killed to feel justified in watching the whole thing.

Spiderman 3:  Hated it as soon as I saw Toby and noticed the fat roll on his chin.  How in the world can Spiderman be chubby?

No Country for Old Men:  I'm sure someone out here will say I just didn't get it, and they will be right.  I understand that there are movies that have artistic value and the director is trying to "say something" to me.  But I think the only thing that I got out of the movie is a disbelief it was made.

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 09:10:04 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
I don't think I've ever hated a movie in the theater more than Juno.
That had to the most overrated movie in the history of cinema.

Amen

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 09:10:51 PM »

Offline eat ur wheaties

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 19
http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom

im glad ive only heard of maybe 5 of those

but that i actually saw, the #23 was a stinker and spiderman 3 was terrible

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I thought this movie had potential. I was wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dIuFyK8RBA
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
Devil's Rejects was absolutely awesome, anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

You're also kidding yourself if you thought either of the last two Spider Man movies, either of the Matrix sequels, anything with the Hulk, or Ghost Rider....looked anything but lame as hell.

Pineapple Express looked hilarious, but that movie was a pile of garbage.

No, I'm not kidding myself at all.

The Devil's Rejects was the worst movie I've ever seen. Easily. Nothing really comes close.

Agreed on the Matrix sequels and Ghost Rider, they were rubbish beyond belief. However I disagree with your assessment of the Hulk (both Bana and Norton) and Spider-Man 2 and to a degree part 3.

At least we can agree on the Matrix.

That's not an opinion, that's a universal law. The Matrix sequels will always suck.

I think super hero movies, for the most part, are hacky CGI fests. We'll agree to disagree there.

I can see how Devil's Rejects isn't for everyone, but the worst? Give me a break dude.

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 09:16:47 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford

No Country for Old Men:  I'm sure someone out here will say I just didn't get it, and they will be right.  I understand that there are movies that have artistic value and the director is trying to "say something" to me.  But I think the only thing that I got out of the movie is a disbelief it was made.

You're not alone. I was really let down by NCOM. There wasn't anything TO get, it was just bad storytelling.

Too bad, because it was really intense at parts. The built up "the chase", and had a very creepy villian...but the ending SUCKED.

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2008, 09:23:21 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Devil's Rejects was absolutely awesome, anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

You're also kidding yourself if you thought either of the last two Spider Man movies, either of the Matrix sequels, anything with the Hulk, or Ghost Rider....looked anything but lame as hell.

The Devil's Rejects was the worst movie I've ever seen. Easily. Nothing really comes close.

Agreed on the Matrix sequels and Ghost Rider, they were rubbish beyond belief. However I disagree with your assessment of the Hulk (both Bana and Norton) and Spider-Man 2 and to a degree part 3.

Clearly you were missing some of the finer points of Sid Haig's performance.

Nah, it's not a great movie by any stretch, I just enjoyed Captain Spaulding's particular brand of malicious clown humor.
Yup

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 05:01:27 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

At least we can agree on the Matrix.

That's not an opinion, that's a universal law. The Matrix sequels will always suck.

I think super hero movies, for the most part, are hacky CGI fests. We'll agree to disagree there.

I can see how Devil's Rejects isn't for everyone, but the worst? Give me a break dude.

The reason I called it the worst ever is because I sat there in the theatre expecting a quality horror-thriller and not once did it get good. It just seemed to have no plot and was pointless. I spent good money on the ticket, and I paid for my girlfriend too, so I paid double to see that pile of doo-doo. God I hate that film.

Ghost Rider is second for the exact same reasons.

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'll add another. Sideways easily by far the worst possible movie ever. I wasn't that excited about seeing it but by word of mouth hype I thought it would at least be decent. WRONG. I would have walked out if I wasn't with my girlfriend. That movie was absolute garbage.

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
These belong in the looked good, but disappointed category-not awful...whatever though...

wedding crashers, unforgiven, super bad, crash, 300, Taxi Driver, The Departed, american wedding

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2008, 04:37:35 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Punisher

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2008, 04:57:49 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

The reason I called it the worst ever is because I sat there in the theatre expecting a quality horror-thriller and not once did it get good. It just seemed to have no plot and was pointless. I spent good money on the ticket, and I paid for my girlfriend too, so I paid double to see that pile of doo-doo. God I hate that film.

Ageed.  I have a soft spot for horror movies, and Zombie seems to have his heart in the right place, but I thought both Rejects and House of... were very blah.  Most movies can hold my attention, but at Rejects I was constantly looking at my watch throughout the last half of the movie.  They had their freaky moments, but when I don't care about any of the characters, what's the point?  And the main dude that is played by the guy from TCM II was corny as hell.  Those endless lines of dialogue had me continually rolling my eyes.

I haven't seen Zombie's Halloween remake yet, but I will eventually.  I hope he starts doing that late night show of his on TCM again.  I thought that it was pretty neat and had great potential.

And on a different note, some of the movies you people are naming as not being good are blowing my mind.  Taxi Driver?  No Country for Old Men?  Unforgiven?  Sideways?  I thought all of these were great.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2008, 06:21:02 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
And on a different note, some of the movies you people are naming as not being good are blowing my mind.  Taxi Driver?  No Country for Old Men?  Unforgiven?  Sideways?  I thought all of these were great.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Same, the ones you mentioned as well as Crash, Wedding Crashers, The Departed and American Wedding are fantastic.