Author Topic: Childress named Frerotte the starter for the remainder of the season  (Read 5053 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Re: Childress named Frerotte the starter for the remainder of the season
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:55:31 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Tavaris Jackson is not an NFL quarterback. Can't believe it took this long for the Vikings to figure that out.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I remember watching a Vikings game on MNF last year and Jaws ripping apart Jackson's throwing form, saying how he has the most basic elements of throwing all wrong.

One thing I never understood is why say "Starter for the remainder of the season?" Is this to give Frerotte confidence, or to send a message to Jackson that his play is not at a high enough level? What happens if Frerotte gets out there and sucks even more in the next two games, does Childress announce that Jackson will be the starter for the remainder of the season again?

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I remember watching a Vikings game on MNF last year and Jaws ripping apart Jackson's throwing form, saying how he has the most basic elements of throwing all wrong.

One thing I never understood is why say "Starter for the remainder of the season?" Is this to give Frerotte confidence, or to send a message to Jackson that his play is not at a high enough level? What happens if Frerotte gets out there and sucks even more in the next two games, does Childress announce that Jackson will be the starter for the remainder of the season again?

no, then its bootylicious time

and as for jackson, refer to my post imploring NFL clubs to stop drafting super athletic kids who are good in the option offense (see: young, vick, and countless others) and assuming that your going to bbe able to teach them how to be a pocket passer in a year. it won't happen.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 03:13:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It's about time.  Jackson is absolutely horrible, and Frerotte is a good, steady QB who will not lose them games like Jackson can. 

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 03:18:38 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

and as for jackson, refer to my post imploring NFL clubs to stop drafting super athletic kids who are good in the option offense (see: young, vick, and countless others) and assuming that your going to bbe able to teach them how to be a pocket passer in a year. it won't happen.

Vince Young led his team to the playoffs in the absurdly competitive AFC South last year, right?

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Vince Young led his team to the playoffs in the absurdly competitive AFC South last year, right?

And he has basically lost his starting job this year, unless Collins is horrible.

The problem isn't about athletic QBs, it is about inaccurate QBs, and QBs without good pocket presence. 

It is similar to guys like Gerald Green being drafted in the NBA.  Teams look at the athleticism, and assume they can teach him how to play in the NBA, but don't seem to realize that it is not that easy.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Collins is getting the start only because Young hurt his knee. Not that Young is a great QB. Out of all the more heralded QB's out of that draft class only Cutler has been decent. Hopefully, Frerotte doesn't knock himself out again.

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 04:01:20 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
And he has basically lost his starting job this year, unless Collins is horrible.

The problem isn't about athletic QBs, it is about inaccurate QBs, and QBs without good pocket presence. 

It is similar to guys like Gerald Green being drafted in the NBA.  Teams look at the athleticism, and assume they can teach him how to play in the NBA, but don't seem to realize that it is not that easy.

He didn't lose his starting job because he played horrendously, he lost his starting job because he's having an emotional breakdown, or he may if starts and makes the situation worse.

To compare Vince Young and Gerald Green is not fair. Young won a national championship in college and played the most important position on a playoff team, two things Gerald Green never even sniffed.

Young proved, before this recent breakdown for which I wish him all the best, that he had the potential to be more of a McNabb than a Bishop. I can't think of an NBA player who has had a similarly tough time managing the criticisms and emotionally abusive material that gets slung every which-way, but I'm sure it's happened.

I'm sorry if this came off as aggressive, I just feel bad for the guy. This is an obviously rough time for him, and I can understand why he's blindsided by it.

Also, Tavaris Jackson to Gerald Green is a fair comparison, but I'd say he's closer to a Kwame in that he plays a more important position.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:13:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

with a stunning 67.5 QB rating, and more picks than touch downs.

rex grossman lead a team to the super bowl, it doesn't mean he's a good qb. They had an awesome defense and a good running game.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

right chris, but thats my point. they aren't accurate because the intermediate passing game isn't a focus of option spread. long balls and the option are.

That doesn't work in the NFL, and NFL teams don't have time to teach fundamentals.

mark my words, tavaris jackson and vince young will have something in common in 2 years, being out of the league.