Author Topic: Rumor (source unlisted): Celtics might acquire Steven Hunter  (Read 39710 times)

Re: Rumor (source unlisted): Celtics might acquire Steven Hunter
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 12:07:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
"Powe's stock is the highest it's ever been right now.  If we're gonna move him, I would expect it could be for someone better than Steven Hunter."

Agreed. 

Ultimately I'd rather keep Powe though.

I disagree.

Powe had a good year.  But he is still a short reserve PF.  It is going to limit his trade value. 

I agree on powe personally, i know what hes going to give me every night.

davis is a ncie project, but how many short, fat PF's are there out there that contribute at a high level?

Yeah, if I can only keep one between Davis and Powe, it's Powe. I just don't see how Davis keeps his weight down throughout his career, and he has no vertical at all.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202

"Powe's stock is the highest it's ever been right now.  If we're gonna move him, I would expect it could be for someone better than Steven Hunter."

Yeah, if I can only keep one between Davis and Powe, it's Powe. I just don't see how Davis keeps his weight down throughout his career, and he has no vertical at all.

Weight down / PF with no vertical -- I cannot believe we are still talking about Charles Barkley!  What?  Oh, nevermind
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Well, Denver's backup 4 and 5 are Balkman and Birdman, Hunter is kind of expendable. Scal and Pruitt seems about right for Hunter, but not if you throw in Powe. Leon is not that type of "throw-in player". I just don't see any sense in it from our side. Are we doing it to sign Cassell? But there would still be another free roster spot if it's a 3-for-1. Maybe Bonzi is coming to town? I would suspect that this deal would go through only if we have another player in line who we want to sign, and if Denver returns a nice draft pick.

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 12:37:14 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
No way we include Powe in a deal just for Hunter. Why trade a guy who in his 2nd season averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds in just 14.5 minutes a game? Powe has a strong work ethic and he has the potential, albeit is small, to become a Davis West like player. I wouldn't give that up for Hunter. And I don't think I would give up Davis either. Although he's undersized, Davis has a good grasp of the defensive rotations and if motivated to lose weight (it's his contract year) he could give us pretty good production. Scal/Pruitt is the most I'd go to get Hunter. Otherwise, I would rather wait to see how we do with O'Bryant and look for buyouts.

Looking at it from Denver's side, they only have 12 players on their roster right now so I could see them looking at making a 1-2 type of trade, but if they trade Hunter, Nene will be their only center left and he can't be relied to play more then 2/3 of a season. At pf, Denver has Martin, Andersen and Melo/Nene who can play that position as well. Getting 2 more pfs in Scal + Powe/Big Baby doesn't make sense for them either.

Re: My friend (or a person I know) tells me the Celtics might acquire Steven Hun
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 01:20:32 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The deli guy strikes again?

Hahaha! Don't knock the deli guy!  :P

PJ came out of retirement and joined the C's a couple weeks later. I'm just sayin!

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 01:39:32 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
The C's need a real backup center.

Powe and Baby are entering the last year of their contract. It doesn't make sense to keep (pay up for) both of them. They are undersized backup 4's.

I'd say yes to Scal/Powe for Hunter or Scal/Pruitt for Hunter. I'm not sure if we need to loose both Pruitt and Powe. In that case Denver should throw in a 2nd round pick.

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Weight down / PF with no vertical -- I cannot believe we are still talking about Charles Barkley!  What?  Oh, nevermind

charles could jump out of the gym. baby can barley dunk with a full court sprint. this is the baby comparision i hate the most. at no point, in his entire career, did charles barkley resemble glen davis.

he was taller, more athletic, a better shooter and defender, and just meaner from day one than glen can ever hope to be.

if were lucky, davis is what tractor trailer was hyped to be, and not what he became.

but please, no more insulting charles with these comparisions.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 02:17:52 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
yep the Barkley comparisons need to go away. The killer instinct alone separates them.

Barkley was shorter though. I don't care what he was listed at. I don't think he was taller then 6-5. Amazing player.

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:17 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
yep the Barkley comparisons need to go away. The killer instinct alone separates them.

Barkley was shorter though. I don't care what he was listed at. I don't think he was taller then 6-5. Amazing player.

Barkley was listed at 6-6, but was more like 6-4.  Davis is listed at 6-9, and while we can all agree that's a generous listing, he's still gotta have a few inches on Charles.  But that's all he has on Barkley.  That's not a knock against Davis.  Charles Barkley was one of the greatest players of all time.  And while he was a little overweight in college, he was in great physical condition during his pro career up until the end after age and injuries cought up to him.

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 03:04:25 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

charles could jump out of the gym. baby can barley dunk with a full court sprint. this is the baby comparision i hate the most. at no point, in his entire career, did charles barkley resemble glen davis.

he was taller, more athletic, a better shooter and defender, and just meaner from day one than glen can ever hope to be.

if were lucky, davis is what tractor trailer was hyped to be, and not what he became.

Barkley was shorter, but everything else is spot on. Barkley was amazing.

I don't see why anyone is worried about losing Pruitt. Questionable second round prospects are a dime a dozen. We can find a better player to take his roster spot while we see if our rookies pan out. BBD panned out, Pruitt might not. I can accept that.

Now we need a backup center.

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 03:19:57 PM »

Offline serpico

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
I wouldn't want to lose Pruit for Hunter.  This is the make or brake year for him.  I would like to see him get a chance to play.

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 03:22:50 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Hunter really stinks. I think there are D League guys better then him. Pryzibilla (sp) I could see - as he has real size and knows how to use it. But Hunter? He has trouble finishing over Marcus Banks. He is garbage.

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Is this a joke ? I didn't know ball boys are like assistant GMs for the celtics.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2008, 03:32:56 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Barkley was shorter, but everything else is spot on. Barkley was amazing.

I don't see why anyone is worried about losing Pruitt. Questionable second round prospects are a dime a dozen. We can find a better player to take his roster spot while we see if our rookies pan out. BBD panned out, Pruitt might not. I can accept that.

Now we need a backup center.

I wouldn't say Davis has panned out.  He showed good signs during his rookie year, but he still has a lot of improving to do.  I also don't see why you're so quick to write off Pruitt.  The point guard position is the toughest in the league.  It may take Pruitt longer to become a key contributor in this league, but he has the tools to do it.

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Does this havve anything to do with the fact that Powe's contract is up after this year? How much is he going to want??