Author Topic: Rumor (source unlisted): Celtics might acquire Steven Hunter  (Read 39638 times)

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If it was Scal for Hunter straight up, in which the Nuggets could save about $600K over the next two years, and the Celtics get to add another player to a tougher position to fill, I could see it.  But the Nuggets are thin at the center position too.  But when you throw in Pruitt to the mix, I don't like it so much.  Adding Leon, and it looks really bad.  Hunter hasn't really proven too much in this league.

What difference would Pruitt make? He's just a roster spot at this point. And dumping Scal's contract isn't a loss.

The trade would basically be Powe for Hunter.

In any 3 for 1 deal, we also have to consider who will take the extra roster spot left over to evaluate the trade. I'm sure we can get someone better than Pruitt and Scal for that spot.

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
CROTOR reference in before the lock
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Okay, I have to go to class, if he gives me any piece of into I'll tell you.

don't sweat it, the intial post is enough to gurntee you TP's if it comes true, no need to oversell it  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Pssst...Hunter's coming to the Celtics...pass it on

Yup

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
If it was Scal for Hunter straight up, in which the Nuggets could save about $600K over the next two years, and the Celtics get to add another player to a tougher position to fill, I could see it.  But the Nuggets are thin at the center position too.  But when you throw in Pruitt to the mix, I don't like it so much.  Adding Leon, and it looks really bad.  Hunter hasn't really proven too much in this league.

What difference would Pruitt make? He's just a roster spot at this point. And dumping Scal's contract isn't a loss.

The trade would basically be Powe for Hunter.

In any 3 for 1 deal, we also have to consider who will take the extra roster spot left over to evaluate the trade. I'm sure we can get someone better than Pruitt and Scal for that spot.

If Pruitt is merely considered a roster spot at this point, that's disappointing and one of Ainge's rare misses in the draft.  But I don't see him in that way.  I think he can produce some for the team this year.  But I don't know what's going on behind the scenes.  What I do know is that Leon Powe came up big in the reagular season and playoffs.  He was inconsisent throughout, but that can be expected of a guy with little experience.  Powe's stock is the highest it's ever been right now.  If we're gonna move him, I would expect it could be for someone better than Steven Hunter.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Pssst...Hunter's coming to the Celtics...pass it on

Hysterical!!  TP for you

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would be fine with a Scali/Pruitt trade for Hunter.

If they throw one of Powe or Davis in, I might not like it as much, but would be fine with it.  I think only one would get resigned next year anyways. 

All are replaceable. 

Powe or Davis.  one will be the third PF.  Teams can find 3rd PFs still. 

Pruitt.  Third, possible 4th PG.  If they trade him like this, I would guess they have decided he can not be effective as a PG in the Celtics system and do not need him at SG. 

Scali.  3rd SF/4th PF.  One of the best defenders left on the Celtics bench.  He might be the hardest to replace. 

Re: My friend (or a person I know) tells me the Celtics might acquire Steven Hun
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I have Hunter as POB's short/mid-term ceiling. It'd be an improvement at the backup 5.

So, if Miles is indeed able to play, I'd do Scal+Pruitt for Hunter. Not Powe, unless we're signing Marcus Haislip.

If Hunter could learn how to fight for the position in the post, especially on the defensive end, he'd be a much better player. If I believed that was possible, I'd trade Scal/Pruitt/Powe for him. But I don't.

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

If they throw one of Powe or Davis in, I might not like it as much, but would be fine with it.  I think only one would get resigned next year anyways. 

All are replaceable. 

Pruitt.  Third, possible 4th PG.  If they trade him like this, I would guess they have decided he can not be effective as a PG in the Celtics system and do not need him at SG. 

Scali.  3rd SF/4th PF.  One of the best defenders left on the Celtics bench.  He might be the hardest to replace. 

EDIT: nm im an idiot, i see what you did there  ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: My friend (or a person I know) tells me the Celtics might acquire Steven Hun
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 11:39:57 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

All are replaceable. 

Although I have no problem with them including Powe or Davis in a trade, I think that is a lot to give up for Hunter.  Right now Scal is still valuable to this team, because he is the only guy they know they can count on at all as a backup SF.  Pruitt doesn't have a ton of value, but still has some potential.  So when you then throw in a rotation quality player like Powe or Davis, and all you are getting back is a guy like Hunter, then it is too much.  For a package like that, I think they need to get someone who is a little more of a sure bet to help the team than Hunter is.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I think it will take either Powe or Davis to make the trade be attractive to Denver.

it will take Scali to make it work in terms of cap number. 

Pruitt is the one piece I do not understand.  Unless Boston wants the roster spot open, he has little trade value, no need to include him for salary purpose. 

Re: Rumor (source unlisted): Celtics might acquire Steven Hunter
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
"Powe's stock is the highest it's ever been right now.  If we're gonna move him, I would expect it could be for someone better than Steven Hunter."

Agreed. 

Ultimately I'd rather keep Powe though.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 11:59:57 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
"Powe's stock is the highest it's ever been right now.  If we're gonna move him, I would expect it could be for someone better than Steven Hunter."

Agreed. 

This.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 12:02:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Agreed. 

I disagree.

Powe had a good year.  But he is still a short reserve PF.  It is going to limit his trade value. 

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 12:04:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Agreed. 

I disagree.

Powe had a good year.  But he is still a short reserve PF.  It is going to limit his trade value. 

I agree on powe personally, i know what hes going to give me every night.

davis is a ncie project, but how many short, fat PF's are there out there that contribute at a high level?