Author Topic: The Mars Volta  (Read 13103 times)

Re: The Mars Volta
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I haven't heard of Devotchka before.
I'll check them out  ;)

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 01:03:03 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45

Pretentious: Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious. See Synonyms at showy.

Queen is an apt comparison too, imho.  Suprised you'd take the Pink Floyd comparison like an insult.  Every generation has its band that plays 15 minute, over-produced, over-written, theory driven songs outside of the main stream of music. Doesn't mean they aren't good, just that they aren't that original...genre-wise, not musical influence-wise.

If you're defining pretentious music as "15 minute, over produced, over-written, theory driven songs, outside the mainstream of music"

You could just as easily said "the 70's called, they want Frank Zappa back."

I don't think that's a fair comparison either.

I'd be interested in hearing what  YOU consider original.

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The mars volta seemed interesting when the first came out but now they have over done their act. They just make long annoying songs and really arent "rock" at all. There are much better experimental bands out there that are much better than the mars volta.

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 11:06:17 PM »

Offline ThreadCrasher

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

Pretentious: Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious. See Synonyms at showy.

Queen is an apt comparison too, imho.  Suprised you'd take the Pink Floyd comparison like an insult.  Every generation has its band that plays 15 minute, over-produced, over-written, theory driven songs outside of the main stream of music. Doesn't mean they aren't good, just that they aren't that original...genre-wise, not musical influence-wise.

If you're defining pretentious music as "15 minute, over produced, over-written, theory driven songs, outside the mainstream of music"

You could just as easily said "the 70's called, they want Frank Zappa back."

I don't think that's a fair comparison either.

I'd be interested in hearing what  YOU consider original.

Ironically, Frank Zappa is hugely original. A true musical genius.

Others off the top of my head, I guess I would say Daniel Johnston.  Ian Curtis.  Jeff Buckley. 

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 12:12:21 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45

Others off the top of my head, I guess I would say Daniel Johnston.  Ian Curtis.  Jeff Buckley. 

We're in agreement on Zappa.

As for the others, I can see why you don't TMV.

My ex girlfriend was really into Joy Division and Jeff Buckley, so I kinda got burnt out on that stuff. I'll check out Daniel Johnston when I get a chance.

You into Tom Waits?

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2008, 01:31:22 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
The mars volta seemed interesting when the first came out but now they have over done their act. They just make long annoying songs and really arent "rock" at all. There are much better experimental bands out there that are much better than the mars volta.

Sort of like a certain Seattle band
with a guy named Eddie as the singer?
 ;)

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 01:07:31 AM »

Offline ThreadCrasher

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

We're in agreement on Zappa.

As for the others, I can see why you don't TMV.

My ex girlfriend was really into Joy Division and Jeff Buckley, so I kinda got burnt out on that stuff. I'll check out Daniel Johnston when I get a chance.

You into Tom Waits?

He has one of the greatest voices in music history...dare I say original!  Although, I know that you even get him or you don't.  Not alot of in between.  He is undoubtly an important artist, although relatively unknown.

You got to check out Daniel Johnston if you can.  He is a hidden gem.  He recorded most of his music on a boom box and sold dubbed tapes.  I heard of him through Kurt Cobain in an interview, many years ago (obviously!).  His style is so unique, it takes a while to catch on to what he is doing.  Then his genius just flows. 

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 08:22:35 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Sort of like a certain Seattle band
with a guy named Eddie as the singer?
 ;)

Easy now.  The last thing I need is to get my Pearl Jam lovin' feathers ruffled on a Sunday.

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 10:30:59 AM »

Offline Celtsfan33/34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
My age must be setting in cause I've never even heard of The Mars Volta.  To be honest, when I first saw the thread title I thought it was some NASA thing.   ;D

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 01:57:20 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
band is horrible. "at the drive in" is 100 times better.