Author Topic: Homeland Defense Back on Call (NFL/Patriots)  (Read 7450 times)

Homeland Defense Back on Call (NFL/Patriots)
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:49:06 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Perhaps the performance by the Patriots D against the inept Cheifs and the schmorgasboard of free agents and trade aquisitions that are the New York Jets is not the best barometer for evaluation, but these last two weeks made me realize just how good this Patriots D can be when faced with adversity.

We all knew our front line of Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren was good, but i think we all forgot just how good they can be - particulary with a healthy and determined Richard Seymour.  New York wanted to run the ball, but it just wasn't happening.  Besides an occassional Leon Washington dance move for 5 yards, he and Thomas Jones were constantly frusterated by the Patriot run defense.  Bruschi looked fast, Adalius looked unblockable, and Rodney was helping out all over the field.  This really made the jobs of Ellis Hobbs, Merriweather, Sanders,and O'Neal easier as their run support was not necessary.  Although i'm still skeptical about the secondary, if the run defense can maintain this level of play, they'll get by just fine.

So what were you impressed with yesterday? How about that backfield combo of Maroney/Morris/Jordan/Faulk? There may not be a deeper combination in the league.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:53:15 PM by Redz »

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Re: Homeland Defense Back on Call (NFL/Patriots)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The whole thing was pretty impressive.  Faulk is an amazing player indeed.

How about Gostkowski booting it through the end zone time and again.

My only gripe with yesterday is Hanson's continued failures at putting a punt within the 20. 

Not too bad if that's the worst I can come up with (he was ticking me off though)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:10:29 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:01:24 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Jordan was a very pleasant surprise.  Some good, hard running out of him.  Maroney being banged up again was kind of annoying, but it was good to see him back in the end of the game.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:21:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The front 7 looked unstoppable.  They have 7 legit playmakers there, and they showed yesterday just how dominant they can be.  The D-line is the best in the league when they play like they did yesterday, and I think it would be hard to find a better linebacking core now that Thomas looks comfortable, Vrabel just seems to keep getting better, and Mayo keeps proving that he can do everything.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 01:57:52 PM »

Offline YUNGx24

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Mayo is a beast. You have to be something special if your starting on the patriots as a rookie. It seemed like every play he was hounding down the ball carrier and was in on every stop. Defensive rookie of the year? its a possibility

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:06:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Mayo is a beast. You have to be something special if your starting on the patriots as a rookie. It seemed like every play he was hounding down the ball carrier and was in on every stop. Defensive rookie of the year? its a possibility
In 2 weeks Mayo has 15 tackles, all, every single one, unassisted. DROY is quite easily within his grasp. That screen passed he sniffed out in the second half, dropping the RB for a 6 yd loss on the completion was an extremely veteran play and tackle. Pioli hit a homerun on picking this kid where they did.

Pierre Woods has also shown quite a lot to me so far in the time he has been on the field and Merriweather is improving week by week. Got say, I like they way the youngsters on defense are playing thus far.

Also, this might be the first time in 3 years where all three defensive down linemen are healthy and they are showing the force they can be now that all are healthy and all are playing the best football they have ever played. Running on this front seven with Harrison and Merriweather supporting from the safety position is going to be very tough this year for the opposition.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
D has looked good so far.  A bit premature to dub them Homeland Defense II, though.  Let's wait until after that stretch of games against San Diego, Denver, and Indy.

However, "Bend, don't break" has been a staple of the Belichick defense.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 02:33:21 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
The whole thing was pretty impressive.  Faulk is an amazing player indeed.

How about Gostkowski booting it through the end zone time and again.

My only gripe with yesterday is Hanson's continued failures at putting a punt within the 20. 

Not too bad if that's the worst I can come up with (he was ticking me off though)

Yeah i'm with ya on Hanson.

When Belichik ran the offense off the field and had the punt team run on, they forced the Jets defense to stay on the field...all Hanson had to do was knock it straight in the air and let the coverage down the ball - there's no way Kerry Rhodes was gunna try to field the thing.  instead, Hanson boots it to the 1 yard line, outkicking the coverage and sending the ball bouncing through the end-zone.

Head ball coach can't be too pleased with the punting game right now, but as you said, you know things are going well when the punter is all you have to complain about.

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 02:35:49 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
My favorite play from sunday was Thomas's sack of Favre AND the runningback. He locked on and would not let go. I hope Cassel gets some more chances (2-3) next week to open it up. Got to keep moss engaged (though moss did drop that one pass that, while underthrown, still hit his chest and hands before the defender hit him. should have caught that.)

I love the Jordan signing. He was always more dangerous than Curtis Martin in New York, and he was supposed to be a breakout starter in oakland. Just because someone doesn't look good playing for the raiders doesn't mean they aren't good. They are one of the most inept organizations in sports. just look at moss's time there.

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 02:47:27 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Cassel didn't play bad but he did look lost a few times out there. As long as he continues not to make big mistakes that defense will carry the team.

Faulk alone with the entire defence looked great out there yesterday.

The running corps of Morris, Jordan, and Faulk were all impressive. Jordan and Morris are the heavy hitters getting the extra two yards out of nothing, while Faulk used his quickness to get the extra yards. Disappointed in Maroney looked soft out there. Too much dancing and never seem to get the extra yardage.

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 02:49:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Maroney's definitely in the doghouse right now.

Think Belichick was trying to make a point when he threw Maroney back out there late in the fourth quarter?   ::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Think Belichick was trying to make a point when he threw Maroney back out there late in the fourth quarter?   ::)

my friends and i theroize that bill has a "times maroney danced in the backfield instead of hittign the hole hard" sheet, and after he hits the number, he gets yanked.  ;D

"one more kid, then you get a mysterious injury that lasts a game....oh, there it is. go sit down now laurance. better luck next week."
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 04:04:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

my friends and i theroize that bill has a "times maroney danced in the backfield instead of hittign the hole hard" sheet, and after he hits the number, he gets yanked.  ;D

"one more kid, then you get a mysterious injury that lasts a game....oh, there it is. go sit down now laurance. better luck next week."
It is just so frustrating watching Maroney. We know he has the strength and speed to be a top caliber RB, but he just won't take off with a full burst and hit that hole. And his recognition of the hole being closed while another just opened up is as lacking as any RB with his amount of talent than I've ever seen. He just doesn't have very good on-field vision and awareness.

It's sad because I think this will be his last chance this year to prove to Belichick that he's the guy that will be his RB for the next few years. He either gets it fast or he's going to be relegated to the bench this year and then be released next year. Bill just isn't going to give him any more time to prove himself. Especially when really good RBs can be found at the end of the first round every year. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:54:03 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell

It is just so frustrating watching Maroney. We know he has the strength and speed to be a top caliber RB, but he just won't take off with a full burst and hit that hole. And his recognition of the hole being closed while another just opened up is as lacking as any RB with his amount of talent than I've ever seen. e just doesn't have very good on field visions and awareness.

It's sad because I think this will be his last chance this year to prove to Belichick that he's the guy that will be his RB for the next few years. He either gets it fast or he's going to be relegated to the bench this year and then be released next year. Bill just isn't going to give him any more time to prove himself. Especially when really good RBs can be found at the end of the first round every year. 

One run that Maroney had yesterday really summed up his career with the Patriots.  Don't remember the quarter, but Maroney took the handoff and hit a hole that was pretty wide open, but as he hit the second level he tried to bounce outside and was dragged down by an arm tackle ( ithink it was the safety, Smith).  He only picked up about 3/4 yards on a play that looked like he'd get at least twice that.  Even Dierdorf noted that, when he hit the hole, it looked like a sure-fire big play.

If Dierdorf is seeing that, you know Belichek and his staff did as well.

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 03:26:29 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Maroney gets overly bashed IMHO. If you look at his yards per carry last year - it was good. He is more an outside speed guy than an inside pounder though.