Author Topic: Pats idea: Trade for Garcia  (Read 8609 times)

Pats idea: Trade for Garcia
« on: September 12, 2008, 08:24:46 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
if Cassel doesn't wow us this week, why not Jeff Garcia?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jeff-Garcia-I-can-play-coach-Jon-Gruden-Not-?urn=nfl,107177

might cost us a draft pick, but I'm not sure how high of one considering his age and the fact that Gruden now apparently hates him ;)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Pats idea: Trade for Garcia
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 08:32:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He would definitly give the team a better chance to win. 

Better hope his backup puts on a good show this week (in TB)

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 09:31:05 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i guess, two things to consider though.

1. garcia is dinged up.

2. it would take 5-6 weeks for him to even begin to learn a brand new playbook.

and as for matt "wowing" us, thats not what i need to see. I need him to not throw picks and make the safe completions. We are still way more tlanted at the other positions than alot of clubs. Matt's job isn't to wow, its to play within himself and not turn the ball over.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 09:36:33 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
if Cassel doesn't wow us this week, why not Jeff Garcia?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jeff-Garcia-I-can-play-coach-Jon-Gruden-Not-?urn=nfl,107177

might cost us a draft pick, but I'm not sure how high of one considering his age and the fact that Gruden now apparently hates him ;)

Hey if we can give up a first rounder for using a video camera, why not spend one on a QB?
Yup

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 10:08:54 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really think they're going to live or die with Cassel.  Or if anything, probably keep it in house with O'Connell and perhaps Guitierrez.

If they were to go outside, don't be shocked if they kicked the tires on Testaverde.  Yes, the guy is like 45 years old but he knows this system and can bounce back into it real quick.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 10:18:07 AM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
Jeff Garcia?

But isn't he........
well, isn't he...........
well, I heard that he was..........
um, but isn't Jeff Garcia well you know........
I mean, every knows that Jeff Garcia is well, um...........happy   
and really, do the Patriots want a, well, a happy player on the team?

;D
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 10:19:45 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
No we don't need to make any sacrifices. We can just sign Donte Culpepper and get it over with. He's still decent. All we need is a mobile QB that can put it up in the air. Don't worry Moss will catch it. lol

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 10:46:19 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Jeff Garcia?

But isn't he........

;D

;D Let me help you SShorefan 3.0,

But isn't he... ignorant of the Patriot system?

well, isn't he... not going to be able to implement the system in a time period that would justify giving up a draft pick?

well, I heard that he was... not as knowledgeable when it Comes to BB's system as Matt Cassel.

um, but isn't Jeff Garcia well you know... not that good.

I mean, every knows that Jeff Garcia is well, um...........happy he doesn't need to ever have learn the Pats system because BB will stick with Cassel.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 11:45:25 AM by Jsaad »

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 11:00:07 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I bet Grog's has still got some life left in him

(man, he looks like he's about to take crushing hit #11,987 of his career there)
Yup

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 11:14:47 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
No we don't need to make any sacrifices. We can just sign Donte Culpepper and get it over with. He's still decent. All we need is a mobile QB that can put it up in the air. Don't worry Moss will catch it. lol

I wish people would stop assuming cassel's arm sucks. He's got a better arm than brady. he doesn't do anythign else better than tom, but put them both ont he 10 yard line, and tell them to see how far they can chuck it, and matt's is going farther.

trust me, throwing the deep ball won't be his problem, several other million things will be, but chucking it up for grab's deep wont be lol.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
Jeff Garcia?

But isn't he........

;D

;D Let me help you SShorefan 3.0,

But isn't he... ignorant of the Patriot system?

well, isn't he... Not going to be able to implement the system in a time period that would justify giving up a draft pick?

well, I heard that he was... Not as knowledgeable when it Comes to BB's system as Matt Cassel.

um, but isn't Jeff Garcia well you know not that good.

I mean, every knows that Jeff Garcia is well, um...........happy he doesn't need to ever have learn the Pats system because BB will stick with Cassel.

well done!!!  TP
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Haha, Thanks. I felt like I was doing a word fill puzzle. ;D

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I like our chances with Cassel.  I'm one of the people who thinks it reminds me of when Brady took over for Bledsoe.  We just need him to manage the game and let our other playmakers do their job.  

But I think it would be stupid to not at least explore other options.  Everybody remembers what the Culpepper/Moss duo accomplished in Minnesota.  But for me, I'd prefer Garcia.  I'll never forget how Garcia seemed to take over the games and played his heart out for Philly in the 2006 playoffs after McNabb went down and everybody ruled them out.  With all this talk about Cassel just needing to "not turn the ball over" and make "safe plays", it should be noted that Garcia had a 12/2 TD/Int ratio with Philly in '06 and 14/7 with TB in '07 (both including postseasons).
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 12:16:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Garcia makes far too much sense for the Pats to get him. The second I heard the report that he may get traded or cut, I definitely thought he would fit in fantastically with this team. I say we give Cassel the next two games (into the bye week) and if he just isn't cutting it, we will go out and get him (or a Culpepper, or someone similar). Dynasties don't last forever either, and for us to just throw in the towel on a season where most players are in their prime or exiting their prime, would just be stupid. A veteran QB who knows how to play/win is much more important than grooming a new QB. Brady will be back next year and for years to come. I am interested to see what Cassel has, but will be upset if he plays poorly and we go with him all season

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I wish people would stop assuming cassel's arm sucks. He's got a better arm than brady. he doesn't do anythign else better than tom, but put them both ont he 10 yard line, and tell them to see how far they can chuck it, and matt's is going farther

He probably has a strong arm - but i saw Brady win the long throw contest in one of those QB battles on TV. So your wrong to discount his arm. Tom is a big guy with a big arm.

Pete