Poll

Out of This Group of Players Which One of Them Would You Rather Have Fill Roster Spot #15?

Brian Scalabrine
7 (8.3%)
Sam Cassell
1 (1.2%)
P.J. Brown
18 (21.4%)
Shaun Livingston
11 (13.1%)
Fred Jones
0 (0%)
Alonzo Mourning
21 (25%)
Bonzi Wells
10 (11.9%)
David Harrison
0 (0%)
Kirk Snyder
2 (2.4%)
Allan Houston
1 (1.2%)
Damon Stoudamire
1 (1.2%)
Dikembe Mutombo
12 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: September 27, 2008, 01:47:04 AM

Author Topic: Ainge Never Finished at Fifteen: Cassell, Livingston, Jones & Trade to Follow?  (Read 7338 times)

Offline New England Sports Blog

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 6
I have heard some interesting chatter concerning our Defending Champs and I just thought I'd share it with an NESB Affiliate Site.  I would love to read your thoughts especially on Fred Jones (within the last few hours I have received word that there is a possibility that Jones could be at the very least invited to camp on a non-guaranteed deal within the next few weeks by Ainge) and Shaun Livingston since we have not heard to much about these players up until now during this Off-Season:

After reading the latest from the Baltimore Sun's Annie Linskey I successfully tracked down a few of our NBA Sources who passed along the following confirmation and information on certain available Free-Agents who are in the "Ainge Range".

* I did indeed receive confirmation that the Boston Celtics have every intention of signing Sam Cassell to a 1yr/ veteran minimum contract (which does include language regarding his coaching future) prior to Celtics Media Day which is less than three weeks away. Hold that thought for a moment because I have been told that the Denver Nuggets are still in talks with "Camp Cassell" regarding a similar contract to the one Danny Ainge and Celtics Ownership have on the table to "Play it Again..And Again..And Again".  Now if you read Annie's article mentioned above and read the comments made by Cassell yesterday it would seem that he is leaning heavily toward staying here in town to finish off his playing days and to also begin his coaching career (It is very likely that Cassell was awaiting word on Doc's contract extension before engaging in any heavy leaning). Either way or shall I say either team Sammy decides to go to, it will all shake down before training camp tips off.  PS:  Keep in mind Boston will not outbid Denver on any aging Combo Guard solution considering they already have Eddie House and Tony Allen real-wrapped for 2 years apiece (House does have a PO on the 2nd yr. of his deal).
    * My "Hoop Insiders" still Speaking on the condition of anonymity went on to reveal that The Celtics were NOT at the Shaun Livingston workout last week.  Funny thing is that Danny AInge and his Celts did however find a way into a few of the hottest rumors floating around the gym the day of the Livingston workout.  The first rumor out of the mill consisted of Ainge still being interested in signing former Clipper PG Shaun Livingston to a Darius Miles type of contract.  In the next NBA Heart-Beat  Livingston and his agent scared away Ainge for the moment with talks of them wanting a 2 season guaranteed deal which Boston will not offer up for the same reason I mentioned in the Sam Cassell bullet-point above. 
    * Worst case scenario for the Livingston talk above is that the C's can use those talks as a smokescreen for another trade or signing they are contemplating.  With that being typed a little mole  ;) went on to tell me to keep an eye on Free-Agent 6-4 SG from Oregon, Fred Jones!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:57:20 AM by New England Sports Blog »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
So you are telling me that sources have told you we'll sign Sam Cassell and Fred Jones?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It would be no big surprise to anyone if Danny Ainge signed a couple of more guys to non-guaranteed contracts into camp. I've heard him expound in past training camps the need to have a sense of competition for playing time in camp and even a sense of insecurity for a roster spot.

I can't say I disagree but Danny's M.O. has then been to always keep the guaranteed contracts and cut the non-guaranteed contracts. So I don't know exactly who he thinks he's fooling.

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Livingstone and Jones? That's an interesting one. Although, I've only heard about that here so I wont hold my breath.

Offline New England Sports Blog

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 6
P2,  It's nice to hear from you again, you still remain as one of my favorite members whether it be here at CB or elsewhere on the net.  I dig your passion for news, roster moves and rumors regarding our guys in green. 

Back to the crux of the matter P2, I am merely relaying to the CB Community what I am hearing out there and I will continue to post any updates here and back at my place (NESB) as well.  On Sammy, he already spoke of his re-signing with us and for that news I give a Fonziesque thumbs up to Ms. Linskey but I figured I could still release any tidbits that I uncovered on the issue.  As a matter of fact the day before her story broke I got a text from one of the sources I spoke of that read, "The Celtics are willing to give Sam a go but he still might end up in Denver".  I thought I had peeped similar info at Real GM as well as a Denver outlet so I didn't feel the need to share the stale info until I got a hold of something more substantial and or fresh (I continued to dig upon reading her stuff). 

Where Freddy Jones is concerned The Celtics have a group of players that they sit back on until their demands drop down to the minimum.  Jones is one of those guys.  If nothing else entices Ainge on a deeper level he more than likely will extend a minimum offer or a camp invite to the defensive minded Jones, at the same time it doesn't mean Jones is going to jump all over it like T.C. on Winfrey's couch but the market is dwindling and the Jones story could be picking up steam within the following couple of weeks.

Nickagneta,  I think we can chalk it up to 44 just doing what he is paid to do whether he is in fact trying to pull the wool over someones eyes remains to be seen.  I do understand though that players of the "Right Said Fred", "Play it Again" and Livingston (if officially signed) caliber will pose a more problematic final cut than the former Baby Faced Celtics Guard has ever encountered before.

CelticMaestro,  Thank you for reading my post and offering your take on the rumors fed to my guys at NESB!  As we all know a rumor is just a rumor until their is a signed copy of a contract or a completed trade agreement sitting at the NBA offices waiting to be stamped and approved so you have company my friend, we won't hold our collective breaths together.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Huh...  as the roster stands right now, we seem pretty set at shooting guard.  It wouldn't shock me at all to see Jones get extended an invite, but there's just not space for him, in terms of either roster slots or construction.  He's not a bad player, though, and certainly should be on some NBA team's roster; I'm surprised he hasn't been signed yet.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
New England Sports Blog, thank you for presenting your rumors in a classy way - I wouldn't expect anything else, but some have caused issues on this and other boards due to poor attitudes.

As long you make it clear up front that you are posting rumors, not facts, I think everyone will take it with the appropriate grain of salt and I trust everyone to show you the same respect given to any poster.

thanks
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am still most interested in Zo, followed by PJ.

If they sign Cassell, I wonder who they move and how they move them when they want to sign that vet big man they were talking about. 

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I usually like to see a set roster come to training camp. But what Danny is doing makes sense. We don't want to tire guys out in intrasquad scrimmages or pre-season games. Our starting five don't need alot of work to get back to where they were (the benefits of experience). They'll go easy with Perk because of the shoulder. In the meantime, if one or two guys unexpectedly impress we are a better team. With the contracts Danny is doing players can easily be dropped or if they impress another team maybe a trade will become imminent. So things are starting to get interesting for us again. I'm tired of Brady's knee and the Sox can't seem to get a hit when they need it. So the fun begins for the important fans in this city and surrounding areas (such as the world).

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
NESB, I'm sorry I was using the "who he's fooling" more as a catchphrase to say that I didn't think anything would come of it rather than that Danny was actually trying to do something devious. And I rather disagree with the players that you mentioned talents being to the point that it would give pause to Danny to hold on to one while jettisoning a guaranteed contract.

Livingston, like Miles, is a cripple in NBA terms who's career might be in big jeopardy. I highly doubt either stands a chance of making this team. When it is all said and done after the preseason I don't expect for the team doctors to tell Danny that either players legs would be able to hold out for an entire season. For that reason alone I don't think they will make it no matter how well they may play in the limited time of training camp and preseason games. It is the long term that will cause both players to not make ithere.

Jones is a heck of an NBA defensive guard. But he stands zero chance of supplanting a first round draft pick with a guaranteed contract or Tony Allen with $5 million guaranteed. Nice player. If the Celtics had spent Tony's money a a good SF I would say yes. But they didn't and Jones is redundant.

Sam's status I just don't get. As I sai in another thread my guess is he will get the guaranteed contract, be the 15th guy who is inactive for every single game, and spends more time on the bench dressed in a suit coaching up Rondo, Pruitt and Giddens than anything else. Once the teams's needs are revealed later on in the season, Sam will be jettisoned and held on as a coach. He's insurance against injury or in case they need to move a young guy in a trade.

As you said, I think Danny is doing his job creating an atmosphere of competition and uncertainty during training. Let's face it players play better when they are not certain of their status. 

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If we're talking spot #15 I'm sticking with Scals.  There are a couple of guys who work at #14, but Scals is my guy for #15.
Yup

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
wish those sources knew if scalabrine had been scouting real estate in another nba city... ;)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Every time Zo is interviewed, he refers to the Miami Heat as "we", meaning he envisions himself on their team.  I can't imagine him signing somewhere else at this point.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Huh...  as the roster stands right now, we seem pretty set at shooting guard.  It wouldn't shock me at all to see Jones get extended an invite, but there's just not space for him, in terms of either roster slots or construction.  He's not a bad player, though, and certainly should be on some NBA team's roster; I'm surprised he hasn't been signed yet.

Completely agree on the SG point.  Doesn't seem like the C's need him at this point in time.

But thanks to NESB for posting the rumors you have heard, any news helps me get through the offseason.

Re: Ainge Never Finished at Fifteen: Cassell, Livingston, Jones & Trade to Foll
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 10:51:48 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158

Every time Zo is interviewed, he refers to the Miami Heat as "we", meaning he envisions himself on their team.  I can't imagine him signing somewhere else at this point.

Yes, the man seems to be embedded in the community down there... Now way he's leaving.
The only color that matters is GREEN