Poll

Out of This Group of Players Which One of Them Would You Rather Have Fill Roster Spot #15?

Brian Scalabrine
7 (8.3%)
Sam Cassell
1 (1.2%)
P.J. Brown
18 (21.4%)
Shaun Livingston
11 (13.1%)
Fred Jones
0 (0%)
Alonzo Mourning
21 (25%)
Bonzi Wells
10 (11.9%)
David Harrison
0 (0%)
Kirk Snyder
2 (2.4%)
Allan Houston
1 (1.2%)
Damon Stoudamire
1 (1.2%)
Dikembe Mutombo
12 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: September 27, 2008, 01:47:04 AM

Author Topic: Ainge Never Finished at Fifteen: Cassell, Livingston, Jones & Trade to Follow?  (Read 7315 times)

Offline bowlingwarnie

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
but can't you just see Zo in the PJ role as far fetched as it is????

wow
why Johnny Ringo...
You look like somebody just walked over your grave

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
how can you not vote for Scal next to those sorry losers.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
how can you not vote for Scal next to those sorry losers.
[dang] straight

This is the year of the Scals!
Yup

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
NESB, I'm sorry I was using the "who he's fooling" more as a catchphrase to say that I didn't think anything would come of it rather than that Danny was actually trying to do something devious. And I rather disagree with the players that you mentioned talents being to the point that it would give pause to Danny to hold on to one while jettisoning a guaranteed contract.

Livingston, like Miles, is a cripple in NBA terms who's career might be in big jeopardy. I highly doubt either stands a chance of making this team. When it is all said and done after the preseason I don't expect for the team doctors to tell Danny that either players legs would be able to hold out for an entire season. For that reason alone I don't think they will make it no matter how well they may play in the limited time of training camp and preseason games. It is the long term that will cause both players to not make ithere.

Jones is a heck of an NBA defensive guard. But he stands zero chance of supplanting a first round draft pick with a guaranteed contract or Tony Allen with $5 million guaranteed. Nice player. If the Celtics had spent Tony's money a a good SF I would say yes. But they didn't and Jones is redundant.

Sam's status I just don't get. As I sai in another thread my guess is he will get the guaranteed contract, be the 15th guy who is inactive for every single game, and spends more time on the bench dressed in a suit coaching up Rondo, Pruitt and Giddens than anything else. Once the teams's needs are revealed later on in the season, Sam will be jettisoned and held on as a coach. He's insurance against injury or in case they need to move a young guy in a trade.

As you said, I think Danny is doing his job creating an atmosphere of competition and uncertainty during training. Let's face it players play better when they are not certain of their status. 

I was totally with you until the very last sentence. Competition is good - especially in training camp. But I totally disagree that "players play better when they are not certain of their status." Guys who get yanked around and don't know their roles or their "status" usually play much worse. Again, in training camp maybe that's ok because the process naturally weeds out the mentally weak. But as a general statement, I disagree with it.

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I thought out 15 spot was already filled
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I thought out 15 spot was already filled

most teams bring 3-4 other guys to camp, they rarly make the roster, and arent on gurnteed contracts.

also, our 15 isn't set with contracts. as has been noted, miles is on a "play for it" type of contract, they can cut him if they want, so really we have 14 under contract.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Clearly Zo is the player we 'need' and would be the most logical but as previously mentioned he is firmly imbedded in the South Florida community.

I really see no way that Scalabrine isnt on our roster unless Danny pulls off a miracle multiplayer deal that requires his contract. Scal will be a Celtic next year and make about the same contribution he did the past year IMO.

I think the extra players are great for competition and 'if' Cassell goes to Denver we may have an open roster spot. The Miles contract isnt guaranteed but he is participating in pick up games in Waltham with Paul, Ray, Rondo and others. No word on how well he is playing however.

Correct me if I am wrong, but dont teams bring players into camp to help showcase them as favors to agents? It seems like a logical thing to do and besides that, a guy like Jones would be very valuable if Tony or Giddens blew out a knee in practice. They also could be used as a 'trade tool' if we found a team that needed/wanted them. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Re: Ainge Never Finished at Fifteen: Cassell, Livingston, Jones & Trade to Foll
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 05:15:14 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

wow

It not too far fetched... He's already said that he still wants to play. And then by the time he is rehabbed, he can observe the NBA landscape and look for a fit. Playing alongside KG should look really nice. I'd love to see it happen.

On the other hand, if Miami is contending for a playoff spot, I've got to believe that miami will be his first choice.

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 05:57:02 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

wow

It not too far fetched... He's already said that he still wants to play. And then by the time he is rehabbed, he can observe the NBA landscape and look for a fit. Playing alongside KG should look really nice. I'd love to see it happen.

I'm no NBA insider, but my sense has always been that Mourning has always had a slight chip on his shoulder about the C's (maybe going back to that playoff series with Charlotte back in the early 90s when he hit that big shot from the top of the key? If I remember, that series was pretty chippy. I don't know). Whatever the issue may be, I've always thought that it was enough to keep him from coming to Boston as a player. But that could just totally be me reading too much into my own bad perception...

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 06:11:55 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'd vote for Zo. But will he be healthy enough to play basketball again? I doubt it very much.

Barring a trade, PJ after the All-Star break.

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
Doesn't surprise me of his interest in Jones; he likes high-flyers (Jones being an ex-dunk champ).

Don't think Livingston really has much leverage right now on demanding a deal.