Author Topic: How to approach a lil Wayne argument.  (Read 16792 times)

Re: How to approach a lil Wayne argument.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 11:55:26 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I carry little to no rap in my shop (I have a CD / vinyl shop on Cape Cod), but I've done pretty well with Lil Wayne's latest.  If being popular is a sign of being a "hot" rapper, then yes, you gotta say Lil Wayne is "one of the hottest rappers"

As for the "Lil" nametag.  The only artist I can think of who managed to successfully shed the Little or Lil' name was Stevie Wonder.
Yup

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 11:58:41 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
A colleague of mine just tried convincing me that "lil Wayne is the hottest rapper of the last 5 years." I was so disgusted I couldn't respond. :o

He also claimed "all that underground stuff you like, there is a reason they are underground."

I'm literally speechless. Help me out guys, I'll show him this thread.

There's a difference between hottest and best. He's probably had the most radio play, and quest appearances on songs out of any rapper in the last 4 years. So he could be the "Hottest" Rapper in the last 4years. Like it or not he IS the "Hottest" rapper out right now.

Redz beat me too it, but i'm still going to post this since i wasted the time.

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 12:05:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I'll also add that The Macarena was hands down the best selling CD I've experienced in 13 years in business.  Nothing even comes close.  Nothing.

So make of popularity what you will.
Yup

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 12:12:26 PM »

Offline kgiessler

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 96

There is no need for a superlative to describe him; one way or the other.  He has some good songs, he has some good lyrics.

My favorite currently:
They said I couldn't play football I was too small.
They said I couldn't play basketball I wasn't tall.
They said I couldn't play baseball at all.
And now everyday of my life I ball.
And they say you ain't great until someone assassinate,
And I feel like M.L.K.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do." - Franklin

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
But they say he's rappin like big, jay, tupac, andre 3000...

Thats my favorite Lil Wayne line.   

They say im rappin like Big, Jay and Tupac/Andre 3000 where is Erykah Badu at?
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 12:32:20 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
The fact that Lil Wayne sells a ton of albums just show you how bad the state of Rap is right now.

I'll keep old skool with my Public Enemy, Eric B, Wu-Tang, J5, NAS,

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
But they say he's rappin like big, jay, tupac, andre 3000...

Thats my favorite Lil Wayne line.   

They say im rappin like Big, Jay and Tupac/Andre 3000 where is Erykah Badu at?

Same here, his stuff is poppy crap. I just happen to like that. He's a beast, he's a dog, he's... not the best rapper in the world.

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »

Offline Weird Facts

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • OOGIE BOOGEY DELONTE
What can you do? 

Everyone has different taste in music.

Theres people that think Biggy is garbage, theres people that think Tupac is garbage.

Your always going to run into different opinions.
There just isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

if you were to create a rating system that defined what good rap would be.

Lets say it would include these categories.

Difficulty of Lyrics

meaning of Lyrics

and the beat

Well, I would say Little Wayne would fall in the lower half of Difficulty of Lyrics as well as meaning of Lyrics.

Of course unless you believe that rhyming the same word twice is an incredibly difficult task.

Regardless of this, what makes someone bob their head, makes them bob their head.  And who are we too say what is realistically better than something else. 

This is why we all get our own opinion.

So what I'm saying is this.  If your friend argued that he likes the way Lil Wayne sounds and makes him feel more than other rappers, then fine. 

If he said Lil Wayne is a better lyricist and more talented than other rappers, then its an entirely different ball game in which he is absolutely incorrect.

Over and out.
Fair or bad weather
I'll always be a fan of the green

http://www.cafepress.com/besttees3

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 12:28:32 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
What can you do? 

Theres people that think Biggy is garbage, theres people that think Tupac is garbage.

Difficulty of Lyrics

meaning of Lyrics

and the beat

Well, I would say Little Wayne would fall in the lower half of Difficulty of Lyrics as well as meaning of Lyrics.

Of course unless you believe that rhyming the same word twice is an incredibly difficult task.

Regardless of this, what makes someone bob their head, makes them bob their head.  And who are we too say what is realistically better than something else. 

So what I'm saying is this.  If your friend argued that he likes the way Lil Wayne sounds and makes him feel more than other rappers, then fine. 

If he said Lil Wayne is a better lyricist and more talented than other rappers, then its an entirely different ball game in which he is absolutely incorrect.

Over and out.

What do you mean by difficulty? and by meaning I assume you do mean content. Not everybody is so picky about what type of content they listen to.

Original lyrics and delivery are what matter to me. Wayne has a lot of that, in a lot of his better songs. I also don't think that they lyrics of songs are all that easy.

I can understand why people don't like him over some of his recent stuff, but you can't completely dismiss him talent wise. He does have REALLY good rap songs.

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 12:34:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
What can you do? 

Difficulty of Lyrics

meaning of Lyrics

and the beat

Over and out.

What do you mean by difficulty? and by meaning I assume you do mean content. Not everybody is so picky about what type of content they listen to.

Original lyrics and delivery are what matter to me. Wayne has a lot of that, in a lot of his better songs. I also don't think that they lyrics of songs are all that easy.

I can understand why people don't like him over some of his recent stuff, but you can't completely dismiss him talent wise. He does have REALLY good rap songs.

Sometimes you can enjoy a good meal, just because it tastes good.  You don't have to know, or like, all the ingredients, or have a profound respect for the cook.  If you enjoy it, you enjoy it.
Yup

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 03:56:16 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Difficulty of Lyrics

meaning of Lyrics

and the beat

OK, lets clarify some things.  If we want to discuss Lil Wayne as a rapper, the first thing we need to do is clarify what rap is.  Rap is an acronym that stands for Rhythmic American Poetry.  So lets see:

Does Lil Wayne have rhythm?  I'd say so.  I think 90% of his lyrics sound foolish, but I'd say that he has great beats and can flow with them well.  I find some of his songs catchy.

Is Lil Wayne's music "American Poetry"?  Well first, lets talk about American.  With how fast the popularity of the clubbing/cocaine culture has grown in America's suburban/urban, 16-26 yr old demographic in the past 10 years, I'd say that he does reach a decent portion of American culture.  Not the culture that I identify with, but a considerable sized culture nonetheless. 

What about Poetry?  In my opinion, Lil Wayne is about as poetic as Dr. Seuss.  His "poetry" is childish.  Poetry should be beautiful.  There is nothing beautiful about doing or selling cocaine.  I have heard people in their young 20's say  "Ohh that line is hot (or 'killin it')!" after hearing "I am regularly irregular".  I just shake my head.

But like other's have noted, is Lil Wayne hot?  Undoubtedly.  Is he a good rapper?  I think not by my poetry argument.
I was a huge fan of rap in the mid 90's to about 2002.  It was basically all I listened to, but I rarely listen to it anymore except when I work out.  I listen to country music mostly now as I find some songs catchy and can actually relate them to my life since I am not a drug dealer nor bringing shorties back to my hotel room at 6am for after parties.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Difficulty of Lyrics

meaning of Lyrics

and the beat

OK, lets clarify some things.  If we want to discuss Lil Wayne as a rapper, the first thing we need to do is clarify what rap is.  Rap is an acronym that stands for Rhythmic American Poetry.  So lets see:

Does Lil Wayne have rhythm?  I'd say so.  I think 90% of his lyrics sound foolish, but I'd say that he has great beats and can flow with them well.  I find some of his songs catchy.

Is Lil Wayne's music "American Poetry"?  Well first, lets talk about American.  With how fast the popularity of the clubbing/cocaine culture has grown in America's suburban/urban, 16-26 yr old demographic in the past 10 years, I'd say that he does reach a decent portion of American culture.  Not the culture that I identify with, but a considerable sized culture nonetheless. 

What about Poetry?  In my opinion, Lil Wayne is about as poetic as Dr. Seuss.  His "poetry" is childish.  Poetry should be beautiful.  There is nothing beautiful about doing or selling cocaine.  I have heard people in their young 20's say  "Ohh that line is hot (or 'killin it')!" after hearing "I am regularly irregular".  I just shake my head.

But like other's have noted, is Lil Wayne hot?  Undoubtedly.  Is he a good rapper?  I think not by my poetry argument.
I was a huge fan of rap in the mid 90's to about 2002.  It was basically all I listened to, but I rarely listen to it anymore except when I work out.  I listen to country music mostly now as I find some songs catchy and can actually relate them to my life since I am not a drug dealer nor bringing shorties back to my hotel room at 6am for after parties.

Never knew the acronym bit.  TP for that.

You had me agreeing with your definition of rap, until you got to the part about what poetry "should" be.
Yup