Author Topic: Adios Culpepper?  (Read 7929 times)

Re: Adios Culpepper?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 02:14:26 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
That's a hell of a retirement statement.  Sounds like he'll do fine at whatever he decides on doing.

Maybe I need to re-read it, but my impression when I read it was he was giving the "I'm taking my ball and going home" speech. Everyone is treating me unfairly and no one will give me the shot I deserve, so I am going to quit. I don't know how this can be considered a positive way out?! With the shots he is taking at all the league blaming THEM for him not making a roster, he sure has sealed his fate.

Am I missing something?!

Not making a roster would have been one thing, but it sounds as though he wasn't even being offered tryouts, and he felt that he was being blackballed due to his self-representation agent role.  If it was based solely on not being good enough, I can see your "I'm taking my ball and going home" notion, but it's seems as though that's not the case.  He knows he's not a superstar any more, but he definitely was worthy of a camp invite somewhere.

Based on what though?! He had games with the Dolphins after his "recovery" to prove he could come back and was awful. He had an entire season with the Raiders to prove he could still play and couldn't win the job. It wasn't like he hadn't come back and shown what he could do. There is no way that a team in desperate need of a quarterback wouldn't give him a chance if they thought he truly could be at least a very solid backup. They are in it to win games and not to "spite" Culpepper.

The fact is that Culpepper never really was that good to begin with. Moss was that good. I could go out there and throw the ball up in the air and let Moss get it. He never was good once he got separated from Moss and the whole league knows it. I am not necessarily saying there are 30 third stringers that are better than him, but the third stringer is typically your developmental player and a big need on the squad. Wasting it on Culpepper doesn't help your future.

As far as the comments go though, I was just curious as to why you sounded like his statement was high class when it sure sounded like sour grapes. Even if it was justified, it sure wasn't classy.

You really believe that, out of all the carousel QBs that continuously find jobs despite not proving anything, (i.e. Greise, Leftwitch, Carr, Grossman/Orton, Ferrotte, Batch, Brunnell, Ramsey, Andrew Walter, Matt Cassell, ect..) Culpepper is really THAT much worse than all those names?  Hell, maybe he is down towards the bottom of this list, but he certainly isn't at the point where he doesn't deserve a shot at a backup role - which he explained he was more than ready to accept.

2007  Oakland Raiders  7 games, 58% 1,331 yards, 5 TDs 5 INT 78 QB rating.

Now certainly that line won't win you a starting job, but he was playing with one of the most inept offenses in the NFL last year.  Those numbers certainly warrant a try-out for a back-up job, not a 3rd string job. 

I'm also getting sick of hearing how Culpepper was only as good as Randy Moss made him.  obviously it helped a lot to have him and carter snagging balls, but the guy was an ELITE QB for several years - if not for his injury he would still be battling for a starting job somewhere. 

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
That's a hell of a retirement statement.  Sounds like he'll do fine at whatever he decides on doing.

Maybe I need to re-read it, but my impression when I read it was he was giving the "I'm taking my ball and going home" speech. Everyone is treating me unfairly and no one will give me the shot I deserve, so I am going to quit. I don't know how this can be considered a positive way out?! With the shots he is taking at all the league blaming THEM for him not making a roster, he sure has sealed his fate.

Am I missing something?!

Not making a roster would have been one thing, but it sounds as though he wasn't even being offered tryouts, and he felt that he was being blackballed due to his self-representation agent role.  If it was based solely on not being good enough, I can see your "I'm taking my ball and going home" notion, but it's seems as though that's not the case.  He knows he's not a superstar any more, but he definitely was worthy of a camp invite somewhere.

Based on what though?! He had games with the Dolphins after his "recovery" to prove he could come back and was awful. He had an entire season with the Raiders to prove he could still play and couldn't win the job. It wasn't like he hadn't come back and shown what he could do. There is no way that a team in desperate need of a quarterback wouldn't give him a chance if they thought he truly could be at least a very solid backup. They are in it to win games and not to "spite" Culpepper.

The fact is that Culpepper never really was that good to begin with. Moss was that good. I could go out there and throw the ball up in the air and let Moss get it. He never was good once he got separated from Moss and the whole league knows it. I am not necessarily saying there are 30 third stringers that are better than him, but the third stringer is typically your developmental player and a big need on the squad. Wasting it on Culpepper doesn't help your future.

As far as the comments go though, I was just curious as to why you sounded like his statement was high class when it sure sounded like sour grapes. Even if it was justified, it sure wasn't classy.

You really believe that, out of all the carousel QBs that continuously find jobs despite not proving anything, (i.e. Greise, Leftwitch, Carr, Grossman/Orton, Ferrotte, Batch, Brunnell, Ramsey, Andrew Walter, Matt Cassell, ect..) Culpepper is really THAT much worse than all those names?  Hell, maybe he is down towards the bottom of this list, but he certainly isn't at the point where he doesn't deserve a shot at a backup role - which he explained he was more than ready to accept.

2007  Oakland Raiders  7 games, 58% 1,331 yards, 5 TDs 5 INT 78 QB rating.

Now certainly that line won't win you a starting job, but he was playing with one of the most inept offenses in the NFL last year.  Those numbers certainly warrant a try-out for a back-up job, not a 3rd string job. 

I'm also getting sick of hearing how Culpepper was only as good as Randy Moss made him.  obviously it helped a lot to have him and carter snagging balls, but the guy was an ELITE QB for several years - if not for his injury he would still be battling for a starting job somewhere. 

TP, this is all about him being labeled a scrabling QB over 30 who had an injury.

If he was seen as a pocket passer, he'd be starting, probley for the bears.

guys like vince young should work hard to get the elusive "mobil pocket passer" rep that guys liek mcnabb get, otherwise, your career is over the first time you are over 28 or so and take a leg injury.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 03:39:25 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
The problem with Culpepper is that he still thinks he's a starter.  You can tell that from his statement.  Do you think he'd have been content backing up Kyle Orton or Aaron Rodgers, to name a few? 

He's along the lines of Payton and Cassell late in their basketball careers.  They both think they're still superstars. 

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 03:46:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The problem with Culpepper is that he still thinks he's a starter.  You can tell that from his statement.  Do you think he'd have been content backing up Kyle Orton or Aaron Rodgers, to name a few? 

He's along the lines of Payton and Cassell late in their basketball careers.  They both think they're still superstars. 

I think if he was backing up David Garrard, or Phillip RIvers it would be one thing. THey're obviously better at this point and established leaders on their teams. However, if he was signed to backup lets say Matt Ryan, or Joey Flacco he'd be an issue. He'd be a problem because at this particular juncture in both their careers, he's the better player. However, they're not playing because of what they are right now, they're playing because of what they could be in 3 years. Culpepper would have a real problem backing up those guys (or like you pointed out Kyle Orton, Tavaris Jackson, etc...)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 04:17:42 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

I think if he was backing up David Garrard, or Phillip RIvers it would be one thing. THey're obviously better at this point and established leaders on their teams. However, if he was signed to backup lets say Matt Ryan, or Joey Flacco he'd be an issue. He'd be a problem because at this particular juncture in both their careers, he's the better player. However, they're not playing because of what they are right now, they're playing because of what they could be in 3 years. Culpepper would have a real problem backing up those guys (or like you pointed out Kyle Orton, Tavaris Jackson, etc...)

Using that theory, as I believe any GM with common sense would, that would eliminate about 75% of NFL teams who might want to try him out.  Which would make a lot more sense to me.  It also would substantially reduce his chances to get even a tryout. 

Just a hunch, Culpepper sounds like just the type of guy Belichick would pick up.  Watch out for it if Brady is hurting.  Belichick likes to have a vet as a third string QB.