Poll

Which team would win the "fake" Southeast Division in 2008-09?

Atlanta (Rondo, Richardson, Deng, Randolph, Chandler, etc.)
2 (10.5%)
 Charlotte (D. Williams, Gordon, M. Williams, J. O'Neal, M. Gasol, etc.)
4 (21.1%)
Miami (Davis, N. Young, J. Green, May, Kaman, etc.)
0 (0%)
Orlando (Billups, Stuckey, Granger, Duncan, Miller, etc.)
12 (63.2%)
 Washington (Felton, J.R. Smith, Outlaw, Blatche, Okafor, etc.)
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Southeast Division  (Read 22618 times)

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Southeast Division
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 02:28:05 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Duncan's too old. However the Clippers are willing to take him off your hands.

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 02:33:06 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
Charlotte are you worried about recent reports of Gordon signing in Russia this year?

Nah. We believe Ben will be staying in the states to play ball. It isn't going to do him any good to go play in Russia for 1 year, then try to come back to the states and get a better contract after he spent a year against non-NBA competition. We believe teams here want to see him grow as a scorer and starter first, before offering him a more competitive contract.

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2008, 04:08:48 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Miami, donde estas?

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 04:59:23 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Duncan's too old. However the Clippers are willing to take him off your hands.

Nice try --- remember if Duncan is too old, KG is too old  :-[ (which he's not  :)!!)
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 06:10:22 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
I am the late taker of the GM position of the Miami Heat.  Although I was unable to do my own draft, I feel I have a roster I can work with.  So, we'll start with my roster.

Baron Davis PG 6'1" 29 years old
Jeff Green SF 6'9" 22
Nick Young SG 6'6" 23
Sean May PF 6'9" 22 - pending trade
Chris Kaman C 7'0" 26 - pending trade
Adam Morrison SF 6'8" 22 - pending trade
Brook Lopez C 7'0" 20 - Rookie
Ike Dougu SF 6'8" 25
Eduardo Najera SF 6'8" 32
Anthony Carter PG 6'2" 33
Mario Chalmers PG 6'1" 22 - Rookie
George Hill G 6'2" 22 - Rookie
Jason Smith PF 7'0" 22
Dwayne Jones PF 6'11" 25
Tiago Splitter PF 6'11" 23 - Europe
Josh Childress SG 6'8" 25 - Europe

Starters:

PG - Baron Davis
    Baron is a premier player in the NBA.  He is one of the most capable PGs in the league.  Not only is he a great distributor, he is a very good rebounder for his position and is always on the list of top scorers in the league.  He is the team's captain and best player.  Definitely a good choice to lead this young squad in the right direction

SG - Nick Young
    Nick Young is unproven to this point, but has shown that he is a young stud with loads of potential. He scored 27 points against the Lakers last year and I believe he will top that numerous times this coming year.

SF - Jeff Green
    Jeff Green is a proven young stud.  He averaged over 10ppg in his rookie season.  Knowing that he was traded for Ray Allen says a lot by itself.  He is a very good defensive player and will be our best wing defender.  John Thompson III (his college coach) said that Jeff is the smartest player he has ever coached.  It will be nice to have someone with that kind of basketball IQ on the team.  Hopefully he will be able to impress some of that on some of the other young guys.  We will also be counting on him for consistent scoring.

PF - Sean May
    May is a solid inside player who is young with much room to still grow.  He has proven he will be a good contributor for many years to come.  May can score points and will always rebound.  He is just one of those guys that's a pain in the opposing team's a**. 

C - Chris Kaman
    Kaman is a big man who can do a lot of things.  He's still only 26 and has already shown he is without a doubt "starter talent" in the NBA.  He can score, block shots and rebound with the best of them.  He does nothing flashy but is a guy you can count on night in and night out.

Bench:

Brook Lopez - A young center who dominated in college.  His upside is up there with the best young players.  He will block shots and help our interior defense off the bench immensely.

Ike Diogu - Another guy that is capable of doing a little of everything.  He's a good rebounder and defender.  Ike will definitely see some good minutes on this team.

Adam Morrison - We all saw what he is capable of when he was at Gonzaga.  A pure shooter who can score in any number of ways.  Coming back from a torn ACL last year, but is expected to make a full recovery and be a good bench guy for this team. 

Anthony Carter - Our backup PG.  He will be giving Baron a breath once in a while.  A solid vet point guard who has a proven track record.  Will also be a good mentor for Mario Chalmers.

Mario Chalmers - Rookie PG who showed in the NCAA finals that he is not afraid to take the important shot - and make it!  Although he apparently has a pot smoking problem, Mario could turn out to be a steal.

Eduardo Najera - another seasoned vet who gets under opponents' skin.  Decent defender, good shooter - will give us another dependable option if Morrison isn't getting it done. 

George Hill - Rookie guard who could surprise some people.  Hill went undrafted even though he had great numbers in college.  Athletic and a good scorer.  Hopefully other teams will wonder why they didn't take a chance on him in the 2nd round.

Jason Smith - a 2nd year rookie who never got to play last year because of a torn ACL.  Has been given a clean bill of health for the upcoming season and his size could give us a big lift.  Being a 7 foot PF - having him and Kaman/Lopez on the floor could really keep smaller guys out of the paint.

Dwayne Jones - 25 year old 6'11" PF who could see a little time on the floor.  Again his his size is a big advantage. 

Tiago Splitter - Taigo is in europe for the next year or two, but is highly regarded by many in the NBA.  Could be a very good NBA player in a couple years.

Josh Childress - Has been a good NBA player for a few years now, but decided to go to europe this year.  I will probably end up holding on to him for a while to see what comes of his situation, but he could end up being trade bait as well. 

I am pretty excited about the young talent on this team overall.  My team's average age is 25.2.  Being that young, we will have some struggles, but will certainly get better with time.  My team got a little younger with a pending trade I made with the Hawks.  I traded Tyson CHandler and Arron Affalo for Chris Kaman, Adam Morrison and Sean May.  I feel that this trade will help my team in both the short and long term.  Chandler is good, but I won't miss Affalo.  I think I got 3 guys who can immediately contribute every night.

The youth and athleticism on this team will tire many of the other teams in the league.  We will certainly be a fast break style team.  I can only see almost everyone on this roster improving throughout this year and into the next few.  We may not be a contender now, but with a few moves and some improvement from these guys, we could be. 

Overall, I don't think this team is bottom of the barrel.  Time will only help.  The outlook seems to be that we will be somewhere in the mix for the last playoff spot. 

Questions?

Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2008, 06:17:42 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Miami-

Are you convinced that May can stay on the court for a prolonged amount of time?  He has been unable to do so up until this point in his young career.  Now you have him in the starting lineup.  Any concerns?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Welcome back CeltsPr33... TP for jumping in the fray so late!

Sorry too it's taken so long to answer the question on most people's mind:  ;D

Orlando:

2) How do you match up specifically with New Jersey, New York, and Detroit? 

Here’s how we see those 3 teams:

3. Pistons
2. Knicks
1. Nets

... And how we matchup against them:

Magics vs. Pistons

PG: Billups/Telfair vs. Watson/Lowry – Watson is a very good defensively and an underated PG, but he’s giving up 2-3 inches on Billups and is miles behind in big-game experience. Lowry and Telfair are both good young PGs as backups.  EDGE: Orlando

SG: Stuckey/Barnes vs. Redd/Murray — Redd is the best offensive talent in either backcourt, but is slow and at best average defensively.  Redd will have as many problems staying with Stuckey going to the hoop as Stuckey/Barnes will slowing Redd’s output.  Barnes is big enough to give Redd problems. EDGE: Detroit

SF: Granger/Harpring vs. Turkoglu/Harrington — Remarkabley similar players offensivley (though Turkoglu turns the ball over 3.0 a game to Granger’s 2.1). Granger gets the edge on the defensive end. Turk relies on his size/length to get an advantage on most SF, but won’t have that vs. Granger, and Granger will be able  to score on Turkglu more than the other way around.  Where Harrington will be able to overpower most SFs, Harpring can hold his own.  EDGE: Even

PF: Duncan/Williams vs. Marion/Landry — Big advantage for Duncan.  Marion's a SF... unless he's playing on PHO w/ Marion and Stoudemire.  While Marion gets an edge in transition he’s just not big enough to slow Duncan in a playoff series. Landry doesn’t do much to help here. EDGE: Orlando

C: Brad Miller/Foyle vs. Yao/Brown (or Voskuhl) — Yao has a slight advantage over MIller, but Miller and Foyle are physical, big body types that give Yao problems.  I’m tempted to call it even b/c of Yao’s injury history, but i’ll give EDGE: Detroit.

FINAL EDGE:Orlando – These are 2 evenly matched teams. Where Detroit has an edge it’s relatively small, whereas Orlando has a bigger edge at the PF + PG positions.  Experience further tips the scales in Orlando’s favor as none of the Pistons has ever been deep in the playoffs other than Marion.

Magics vs. Knicks

PG: Billups/Telfair vs. A. Miller/House — Billups and Miller play each other pretty closely in 17 career games and are both bulky PGs who like to post opposing PGs up.  Billups has an edge as a shooter, whereas Miller creates more shots for his teamates.  I like Telfair as a PG over House, and House as a scorer over Telfair.  EDGE: Even.

SG: Stuckey/Barnes vs. Azubuike/Barry — I like Stuckey & Barnes athleticism here.  Az isn’t really a stater, but is a decent defender, and Barry is DONE.  EDGE: Orlando

SF: Granger/Harpring vs. Lewis/Posey — I’m not a Lewis fan, i think he’s way too one-dimensional and a poor defender/rebounder for his size. Posey will give Granger some problems.  Harpring will be able to body Lewis the same way Posey does otehr SFs.  I’ll be nice and call this EDGE: Even

PF: Duncan/Williams vs. KG/Humphries — a draw.  KG and Duncan are the best PFs in the last 15 years.  Williams and Humphries are both decent if unspectacular PFs. EDGE: Even

C: Brad Miller/Foyle vs. Dampier/Lopez — There are a lot of options with the 4 key bigs for both teams in terms of matchups but Dampier is clearly the weak link.  If he covers Miller he’s drawn away from the basket and that negates his rebounding and weakside shotblocking.  if he guards Duncan he’ll get in foul trouble (in 31 gms vs. Duncan, Damp averages 4 PFs versus 3 for his career). EDGE: Orlando

FINAL EDGE:Orlando– Again, these 2 teams are very evenly matched but Orlando has a couple advantages at SG/C while matching NYK’s strengths at their 2 best positions (PF + PG).  What really tips the scales though is frontcourt depth.  Orlando has 5-6 bigs (Duncan, Miller, Foyle, Harrison, Thompson, Gortat) to throw at KG & Dampier, while NY has the undersized Humphries and the unproven Lopez if KG or Dampier get in foul trouble (Posey can’t match up with either Duncan or Miller for any extended stretch).  That will become a big difference in a long series.

Magics vs. Nets

PG: Billups/Telfair vs. Kidd/Fisher — if this were even 2 years ago, edge to NJ, but NJ’s PGs are both 2 years older than any of our 3 PGs.  Kidd just won’t be able to keep up with Billups anymore. And Fisher will have problems staying with Telfair on the break.  It’s slight, but EDGE: Orlando

SG: Stuckey/Barnes vs. Maggette/Peterson — count me a little curious about how Pierce and Maggette are going to coexist, but NJ has the edge here.  This is one of those times where Barnes as SG makes total sense.  He’ll be asked to body Maggette for longer stretches than in other series (as will Harpring, who is probably the better matchup vs. Maggette). EDGE: New Jersey

SF: Granger/Harpring vs. Pierce/Carroll — Pierce is the Nets’ best player, but Granger is the type of long, quick SF that can give him problems.  Carroll is a severe liabilty vs. either Granger or Harpring, whereas Harpring (or Barnes) can make Pierce work for his offense and stay honest on D. Not as big an edge as some might say.  EDGE: New Jersey

PF: Duncan/Williams vs. David West/Gooden — I think both West and Gooden are undersized to really slow Duncan.  To the extent West was able to guard Duncan in the playoffs, it was b/c he knew he had the shotblocking Chandler to help out.  Okur is not that guy. If NJ got the edge at SF, Orlando gets it here (since the gap is similarly small, but among great players).  EDGE: Orlando

C: Brad Miller/Foyle vs. Okur/Przybilla — A 5th close matchup. Okur is younger, and a better outside shooter, but is not a great defender or rebounder.  Miller’s won 11 of 14 matchups vs Okur and held him to 7 reb/43% shooting.  Przybilla and Foyle are both nice defensive backups.  EDGE: Orlando

FINAL EDGE:Orlando — Probably should be even, but that’s like Wilbon saying “Push”.  This is the closest of the matchups and really would come down to injuries or foul trouble in the ECF. NJ has the experience (Pierce, Kidd) to match ORL's.

But here’s why i think the Magics advance to the Finals.  I look at this like the PHO/SA series the last 2-3 years.  NJ (like Phoenix) is maybe more dynamic and is loaded with firepower, but in a long series ORL (like SA) has the edge (a) defensively  and (b) in the frontcourt (PF/C) where most series are won/lost.  Throw in an advantage at PG and Orlando wins a hard-fought 7-game series.

I'm curious what other GMs think...

(Before anyone thinks i’m a homer, before getting Billups and Stuckey, I would have conceded the NJ series b/c of the backcourt edge; Those moves were made in large part to matchup with NJ better).

UBUNTU, Y'ALL!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Donaghus - Yeah, I truly think this will be May's breakout year.  He is one of those guys who, if he can stay healthy, could be a huge contributor.  I believe this will be the year he is consistently healthy. 
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2008, 06:29:12 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
I know we've got 2 teams in Florida, but... no poll  :-[

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 06:32:09 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Hey Gainesville, honest question, how do you think Duncan and Chauncey will hold up in a division that is A) as ready to run as ours is and  B) is deep at their respective positions? Can you win games if you sit them out to rest? Stagger minutes? Will they be tired come playoff time?

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 06:39:23 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
GC, I had the Nets at a 4-1 landslide over you, with the only posotion you winning was PF.

That said, you take this division and the second seed in the East which enables you to breeze through to the ECF to face either the Nets (#1) or the Knicks (#4).

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2008, 06:40:15 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Here’s how we see those 3 teams:

3. Pistons
2. Knicks
1. Nets

... And how we matchup against them ...

I think Orlando definitely has the overall edge over Detroit, thanks to the PF and PG spots.

Orlando vs. Knicks and Nets is less definitive. I'm not sold that Barnes will be quick enough to defend SGs, or Harpring will be able to keep up with the quick SFs who aren't "power threes" like he is (do Harpring's knees even have any cartilage left in them at all?). The Nets, in particular, pose the greatest threat to Orlando's title hopes, of those three.

I'm down to my last hour of availability to answer/field questions, before I leave on a long weekend (last gasp of the summer).

Since celtsrp33 already alluded to the pending trade between the Hawks and the Heat, I've updated my roster in my sig below. Feel free to comment/critique: I'll respond when I can later.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:47:25 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2008, 06:52:18 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
GC, I had the Nets at a 4-1 landslide over you, with the only posotion you winning was PF.

That said, you take this division and the second seed in the East which enables you to breeze through to the ECF to face either the Nets (#1) or the Knicks (#4).

I'm willing to listen, but you gotta give me more than that if you're gonna convince me...

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 06:59:10 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Time to vote.  I think Orlando takes this one fairly easily, but its going to be a fight for second place in the division.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2008, 06:59:11 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Hey Gainesville, honest question, how do you think Duncan and Chauncey will hold up in a division that is A) as ready to run as ours is and  B) is deep at their respective positions? Can you win games if you sit them out to rest? Stagger minutes? Will they be tired come playoff time?

Division opponents only play 5 times, so pace is a lot diff. than in a 7 game series. 

PG worries me a lot more than PF --- i don't think the PF is even close --- but neither Duncan or Billups is *that old*.  Duncan is 4 weeks older thank KG, Billups is 4 months younger.  Now KG is obviously a freak, but it's not like their Jason Kidd.

Any depth at PF in the SE Conf. is b/c the starters are average.

Like i wrote, we plan on reducing Billups/Duncan's minutes over the course of the season to keep them fresh.  ATL worries me the most with Rondo/JRich, but i like our frontcourt much better.