Author Topic: way to go KU  (Read 5804 times)

Re: way to go KU
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 05:26:50 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Any truth to the rumor that Kansas will be retiring the number 420 in honor of these two?

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 05:53:11 AM »

Offline brownbagger

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 0
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3567481

my first thought,im ashamed to say, in all honesty?

"didn't you learn how to smoke inside your room at collage? its not that hard."

reflections on collage aside, what idiots. i mean, im not goign to get into my views on pot, but if your going to do it, wait till after camp for ****.

College ... sorry but that was bothering me

They are getting what they deserve.  if you're dumb enough to get caught, you deserve the repercussions.

Anyone that says these guys have "character issues" because of this are just fooling themselves.  Josh Howard admitted publicly, with little coersion, that he smokes during the season - to me that says 2 things:

a) A LOT of athletes probably smoke and get away with it
b) the public really doesn't care

Not too often can a player admit to using a banned substance and have it be a non-issue.  Anyone still talking about Kevin Faulk's most recent issue? It's just not taboo anymore.

I think you're fooling yourself if you don't think that points to character issues.  Not talking about getting high, but getting high at certain times.  I definitely think you have character issues if you smoke at certain times.  Like if you were going to blaze up right before a job interview = character issue.  If you were going to blaze up on a 5 minute break at work = character issue.   If you were going to blaze up right before meeting with an important client = character issue. The whole rookie seminar thing lasts 4 days, they can go back and smoke all they want at home and probably never get caught.  The fact that they would blaze up there of all places = character issue to me.  But hey that's just how I interpret it.  A lack of even the slightest bit of self control to me = character issue.

And if this was Giddens, people would be all over his character.
To me it points to maturity and wisdom, something that these guys don't have. It doesn't mean their bad people or have bad character, just that they really haven't been taught any better. If they continue this type of behavior, then it is a character issue.
I disagree with you in being taught any better issue.Take it from a x user of substances,i was taught better.Its not always the parents fault or the people in charge.We take on our own character make up as we develop.Suppose they never got caught? We all would continue to praise those guys for being good kids.   Even if we say  its  a thing of boys will be boys , those guys will be viewed differently from this day forward.They opened up a new door and people will look through it first.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:59:50 AM by brownbagger »

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 09:13:40 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
I think the incident shows a certain lack of respect for the seminar, but getting such an early and public helping of humble pie can only help these guys, and bring them down to earth.

I think Minnesota probably already regrets trading Chalmers (who probably would have started over Telfair), and I think Arthur is going to be really good. I've been watching his highlight the past couple days. Speights of the 76ers is another big who will really surprise. He made great strides over the summer.