Author Topic: way to go KU  (Read 5832 times)

way to go KU
« on: September 03, 2008, 03:14:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3567481

my first thought,im ashamed to say, in all honesty?

"didn't you learn how to smoke inside your room at collage? its not that hard."

reflections on collage aside, what idiots. i mean, im not goign to get into my views on pot, but if your going to do it, wait till after camp for ****.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: way to go KU
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 03:27:09 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Remeber all the people who didn't like the Giddens pick saying he had "character problems" and wanted Chalmers instead?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 03:50:26 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

reflections on collage aside, what idiots. i mean, im not goign to get into my views on pot, but if your going to do it, wait till after camp for ****.

College ... sorry but that was bothering me

They are getting what they deserve.  if you're dumb enough to get caught, you deserve the repercussions.

Anyone that says these guys have "character issues" because of this are just fooling themselves.  Josh Howard admitted publicly, with little coersion, that he smokes during the season - to me that says 2 things:

a) A LOT of athletes probably smoke and get away with it
b) the public really doesn't care

Not too often can a player admit to using a banned substance and have it be a non-issue.  Anyone still talking about Kevin Faulk's most recent issue? It's just not taboo anymore.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:00:47 PM by jgod213 »

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 04:20:15 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

They are getting what they deserve.  if you're dumb enough to get caught, you deserve the repercussions.

Anyone that says these guys have "character issues" because of this are just fooling themselves.  Josh Howard admitted publicly, with little coersion, that he smokes during the season - to me that says 2 things:

Not too often can a player admit to using a banned substance and have it be a non-issue.  Anyone still talking about Kevin Faulk's most recent issue? It's just not taboo anymore.

lol TP to you, i hate speed typing at work.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm not so sure that this speaks to their character as much as it speaks volumes about their intelligence. You are attending a conference where the NBA is going to warn you about all the things you should not do like having guns, associating with the wrong people, putting yourself in dangerous situations, spending all your money, women who might attempt to trap you, drugs, alcohol, performance enhancing drugs, and so on. Then the first thing you decide to do is to check in and do a couple of the things that you have already been told the conference is all about.

Pretty stupid.

All in all, it will become a short suspension, they will catch crap in the locker room for being dumb enough to be caught and by Christmas it will be just a rookie story that will be told from time to time for laughs. No big deal. My guess is that at least half the league probably partakes of a puff once in a while.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 05:39:56 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I think you're fooling yourself if you don't think that points to character issues.  Not talking about getting high, but getting high at certain times.  I definitely think you have character issues if you smoke at certain times.  Like if you were going to blaze up right before a job interview = character issue.  If you were going to blaze up on a 5 minute break at work = character issue.   If you were going to blaze up right before meeting with an important client = character issue. The whole rookie seminar thing lasts 4 days, they can go back and smoke all they want at home and probably never get caught.  The fact that they would blaze up there of all places = character issue to me.  But hey that's just how I interpret it.  A lack of even the slightest bit of self control to me = character issue.

And if this was Giddens, people would be all over his character.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:50:41 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
lol TP to you, i hate speed typing at work.

Um, Crownsy ... you spelled it wrong twice.  Are you sure that's speed typing?   ;)

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 05:58:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think you're fooling yourself if you don't think that points to character issues.  Not talking about getting high, but getting high at certain times.  I definitely think you have character issues if you smoke at certain times.  Like if you were going to blaze up right before a job interview = character issue.  If you were going to blaze up on a 5 minute break at work = character issue.   If you were going to blaze up right before meeting with an important client = character issue. The whole rookie seminar thing lasts 4 days, they can go back and smoke all they want at home and probably never get caught.  The fact that they would blaze up there of all places = character issue to me.  But hey that's just how I interpret it.  A lack of even the slightest bit of self control to me = character issue.

To me it points to maturity and wisdom, something that these guys don't have. It doesn't mean their bad people or have bad character, just that they really haven't been taught any better. If they continue this type of behavior, then it is a character issue.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 08:02:33 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

Have to agree with Nickagneta on this one.  I'm guessing they don't see anything wrong with smoking, so to them they weren't doing anything immoral.  And since it doesn't directly effect someone else, I don't think it's a character issue.

It's a mistake.  People make them, particularly people at that (re: my) age.  It's not so bad they should be labelled bad apples.  Just not very shiney ones.

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
To do it at a Rookie Transition Program just speaks of utter stupidity. 

I'm not gonna debate the smoking factor, more so, its just idiotic to do it under those circumstances.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 08:18:47 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Apparently you don't have to be too smart to play for KU.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 09:13:48 PM »

Offline galen

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 15
I'll preface this comment by saying I support legalization of pot.

However, it currently is both illegal and also against league rules to smoke it.  To do it at a place were you are supposed to be learning about what not to do, which i'm sure includes not doing drugs, is unbelievably stupid.  Its like smoking weed during detention or in the bathroom at work two days before the quarterly drug test comes up.  Just stupid.

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 11:35:35 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
the best part is that they have to repeat the program.

i kind of hope they get kicked out every year, and have to attend when they're 30.

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 12:49:50 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

TP to you for finding the a fact in all this, that Giddens would be public enemy no.1 in the blogs if he did this.

I'm waiting for someone to start a true argument to defend smoking pot (DEFINITELY NOT GOING TO BE ME) Howard had to be persuaded by someone that it would be honorable to admit to it, but surely Cuban had to have slapped him upside the head and made him run suicides for being a public moron. As someone else said above, its makes them look 100x dumber for getting caught at the rookie camp. It's like going to AA drunk, or speeding and cutting a cop off; you're testing the waters of complete ignorance. This kids are obviously talented enough to shoot a basketball, but not smart enough to be professionals and not come to work high. When you're being paid millions of dollars to play a sport, or put into celeb status, that puts you into a salary position where you're basically "always on the clock" so you're representing your company every where you go with all that you do. I can't wait to see how Riley will respond publicly about it(as he was pretty open about the Shaq and Antoine stories last year)
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 05:18:40 AM »

Offline brownbagger

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 0
What is Gilbert Arenas and Kevin Durant's excuse...from what i read,they were involved.Oh yea,Beasley was in the area also.If this is the case it is might be a problem.You got vets involved as well.Nice role models people will say.Face it they are some kids role models regardless if its the right thing for kids to see as guys to look up to.Some teenagers have dreams and visions and when a few guys who already been in the league show up in the wrong places at the wrong times thats not good for the sport and the kids who might be looking up to them.Take it from a former pot smoker and "brownbagger"people will start to put your life under a microscope once the (pot)cat is out of the bag.