Poll

Who will win the "fake" Central Division in 2008-09?

Chicago (Knight, Kobe, Wally, Foster, Nazr, etc.)
1 (5.9%)
Cleveland (L. Williams, Wade, Ginobli, Warrick, Collison, etc.)
2 (11.8%)
Detroit (Yao, Marion, Hedu, Redd, Watson, etc.)
11 (64.7%)
Indiana (Rose, Ellis, J. Jones, R. Wallace, Dalembert, etc.)
1 (5.9%)
Milwaukee (Hinrich, T. Allen, Anthony, McDyess, Wilcox, etc.)
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Central Division  (Read 20348 times)

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Central Division
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 12:07:27 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
A lot of people keep saying that we should trade Sheed, but the bottom line is that it'd be really tough to replace him. He fits the style of basketball we want to play VERY, VERY well. He can both spread the floor and give us an inside presence and he's a great on the ball defender.

We've entertained offers, and there have been some good ones, but at the end of the day not having Sheed would significantly decrease our overall team.

We're hoping that Rasheed falls in love with the style of play, and think they'll be no problems with his attitude as we believe this team is ready to compete today. We're not building for the future, we're building to be a successful basketball team for a long time.

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I do believe Sheed is the leader we want around this team. From a skill level; he nearly embodies everything this team is about. He's a tremendous defender and helps spread the floor in our uptempo style. And while he's always said to have had "character issues" he's always shown to be a guy his teammates like.

That may be true, but I agree with the original concern about Rasheed on this team.  Wallace has been a (relatively) good egg when surrounded by veterans and put in a situation to win.  With all due respect, this is not that team.  At 36 y.o. I suspect Wallace will have little patience as the losses mount.  I think you'd be better off trading for a different kind of veteran (i.e. a Ray Allen type) or moving Wallace for young-un's to join to core of Rose/Ellis/Dalembert...

I've already launched into my diatribe in other posts outlining why the Pacers have the ability to compete for one of the last remaining playoff spots in the East.  Certainly this team is several years away from competing for a division crown with our hopes centered upon Ellis, Rose, Dalembert, Bass, and Kufos maturing, but i think people may be underestimating the immediate potential for a very dynamic back court between Ellis and Rose and at the very least a relatively intimidating inside defense.

Even without the injury to Ellis, this team has many question marks, but if Rose is as good as advertised, if James Jones hits 3's and spreads the floor the way Pat Riley and the real-life Heat think he can, and if Dalembert continues to develope adequately, i think this team has the potential to sneak into the playoffs and maybe suprise a team.  Perhaps 'Sheed isn't the perfect fit for this team, but everywhere he has played, he's been respected and adored as a teammate.  If he can provide our young guys with just a touch of his passion and and sense of comradery, i think this team will need to be reckoned with sooner rather than later.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 12:12:38 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

let's just say last week was a little slow at work....

I love these bottom ones -- TP for great work!
(are you a designer at work or just for fun?)

nah, i work for the state, so my creativity is being systematically obliterated.  I'm obsessed with that ea sports jersey creator though -- still upset about the jersey that ultimately won the contest.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
A lot of people keep saying that we should trade Sheed, but the bottom line is that it'd be really tough to replace him. He fits the style of basketball we want to play VERY, VERY well. He can both spread the floor and give us an inside presence and he's a great on the ball defender.

We've entertained offers, and there have been some good ones, but at the end of the day not having Sheed would significantly decrease our overall team.

We're hoping that Rasheed falls in love with the style of play, and think they'll be no problems with his attitude as we believe this team is ready to compete today. We're not building for the future, we're building to be a successful basketball team for a long time.

Best case scenario, though, Rasheed gets you what, the 7th or 8th seed in the East, and an early playoff exit?  Regardless of how well he fits your current offense, the fact is he's 34 years old (or, he will be in two weeks); wouldn't you be better off finding guys who can contribute down the line? 

I think veterans are important on any team, but you need to also find the right kind of veterans.  Also, on a team of the future (as Indy clearly is, to me) I'm not sure that it makes too much sense to be overly concerned about how a player fits the team's offense; all of that may change in the next three to five years, when Indy is better able to contend.  Certainly, Rasheed won't be part of that future.

(Keep in mind, this is the best case scenario.  Worst case, he throws tantrums, becomes a distraction, and forces a trade, all the while poisoning your team.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 12:30:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Cavs: Will Louis Williams initiate your offense from the PG position, or will the ball be in Wade's hands in the halfcourt set?

Pacers: You've got two open roster slots. Will you address your lack of frontcourt depth? Brandon Bass has been a career NBDL guy, before making strides last year, and Koufos is going to have a steep learning curve as a rookie. What about a veteran point guard?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 12:36:25 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I won't absolutely rule out getting another PG, but I think if we were to add one we'd be more likely to do it via trade.

Right now we feel good about Rose starting and Brown backing up. Also Ellis allows us the flexibility of also allowing us to play PG.

I think we'd be more likely to add some front court help or continue to add depth at the small forward.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 12:39:35 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Cavs: Will Louis Williams initiate your offense from the PG position, or will the ball be in Wade's hands in the halfcourt set?

Pacers: You've got two open roster slots. Will you address your lack of frontcourt depth? Brandon Bass has been a career NBDL guy, before making strides last year, and Koufos is going to have a steep learning curve as a rookie. What about a veteran point guard?

Louis will be initiating the offense from the halfcourt, but I also hope that our athleticism allows us to operate in the fast break as well, especially when Hakim Warrick is playing the 4, as his speed will help create mismatches.  If Louis struggles in the half court, Tinsley will be called upon to run the point in pressure/critical situations.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 12:46:14 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Rose and Ellis are definitely the backcourt of the future, giving this team great potential for a few seasons down the road.  If this were the real world, I would say dump Sheed to a contender for an expiring contract and draft picks, then hope to pick up a young low post threat to further build for the future.

I think Sheed might work well on the Pacers, if only because Jim O'Brien will let him shoot 3's all day and not make him go down low, which Sheed will love, but Sheed staying out on the perimiter won't benefit Rose and Ellis, they need a legimate low post option (that Sheed could be, but won't with O'Brien as coach).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 12:54:45 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
The Cavaliers roster is filled, top to bottom, with players I like. That said, it would appear that outside of co-captain's Wade and Ginobli, it's a dog fight for minutes in Cleveland. Commissioner wdleehi already suggested one alternate starting line-up, I can envision several others. I'm wondering if the Cavaliers coaching-staff will take a pre-'07 Rivers approach to the season, frequently shuffling the starting five based on in-practice play, hunches, etc. Or if the team has clear favorites?

Also, care to give us a rough estimate of how minutes will be distributed at the start of the season? (Either with or without Ginobli).

And lastly, any concern about burying Wilson Chandler and Javaris Crittenton and stifling their growth? Two second year players with great reputations that by many off-season accounts are ready now for playing opportunities.

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Personally, I've never liked the idea of having a team made up of just young players; and I think w/o Sheed our team might not ready to be win. And I think if you remove Rasheed for another developing player it could lead to negative effects on players like Rose, Ellis and Dalembert.

Also being that is only a one year exercise it's not like I could stock pile talent, give it a year, and make a run at a superstar so trading Sheed for youth and picks just isn't much of a possibility.

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 12:58:03 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I'm heading to work shortly, I in all likelihood won't be available until 11 pm.

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 01:11:57 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I think Sheed might work well on the Pacers, if only because Jim O'Brien will let him shoot 3's all day and not make him go down low, which Sheed will love, but Sheed staying out on the perimiter won't benefit Rose and Ellis, they need a legimate low post option (that Sheed could be, but won't with O'Brien as coach).

It hadn't occurred to me before, but you're right Wallace is a dream fit for O'Brien isn't he? Great defender, fiercely competitive, a savvy big with three point range. But beyond that, I'd side with Roy; I love Rasheed, it's a great player-coach match, and it'll be difficult for Indiana to bring back equal value, but he'll be wasting his last years on a team that will struggle for an 8th seed with him on the roster, and their isn't much (any?) evidence that he'll take to the role of mentor (and sole veteran) on a likely lottery bound team. (IMO, similar to Houston's plan to play O'Neal off the bench for 20 mpg in it's optimism.)

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 01:21:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Pacers-
Monta Ellis is out for 3 months, pg's not named chris paul tend to take a year or two before they become effective at all, and beyond that there really isn't a single guy on your squad that can create his own shot. I know you think Sheed's vet presence is important, but what are the chances he demands a trade if you dip below .500?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
The Cavaliers roster is filled, top to bottom, with players I like. That said, it would appear that outside of co-captain's Wade and Ginobli, it's a dog fight for minutes in Cleveland. Commissioner wdleehi already suggested one alternate starting line-up, I can envision several others. I'm wondering if the Cavaliers coaching-staff will take a pre-'07 Rivers approach to the season, frequently shuffling the starting five based on in-practice play, hunches, etc. Or if the team has clear favorites?

Also, care to give us a rough estimate of how minutes will be distributed at the start of the season? (Either with or without Ginobli).

And lastly, any concern about burying Wilson Chandler and Javaris Crittenton and stifling their growth? Two second year players with great reputations that by many off-season accounts are ready now for playing opportunities.

I'll have an estimate later.  Having Chandler and Crittenton on the bench makes the players ahead of them more tradeable - veteran athletes who can defend well should have a strong market if they're healthy.  If it becomes clear that either of these young guys is ready for a larger role (judging by their improvements last year I feel like they will be), then Bobby Simmons, Des Mason could find themselves on the trading block.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 02:55:52 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
First, I wanna thank everyone for being here. I want to present to you the NEW "not so real butwish they were because they're much cooler...."

Milwaukee Bucks

Head coach-Dave Cowens
Assistant Coaches-Paul Pressey, Sidney Moncrief, John Lucas
Trainer-Vladimir Shulman
Equip Mgrs-Luke Ansty, Kenyatta Gomez

Starters
PG-Kirk Hinrich 41% FG 35% 3pt 11.5pts 3.3rebs 6ast 1.2stls
SG-Tony Allen 43% FG 32% 3pt 6.6pts 2.2rebs 1.5ast .83stls
SF-Carmelo Anthony 49% FG 35% 3pt 25.7pts 7.4rebs 3.4ast 1.27stls
PF-Antonio McDyess 49% FG 0% 3pt 8.8pts 8.5rebs 1.1ast .78stls
 C-Chris Wilcox 52% FG 0% 3pt 13.4pts 7rebs 1.2ast .74stls

Bench
PG Ramon Sessions C/PF Marreese Speights, G/F Brandon Rush, G/F Dahntay Jones, C Hilton Armstrong, PF Brian Cook, PG Darrell Armstrong,

Reserves
F Bill Walker, F Ryan Anderson, Ian Mahinmi

Draft Philosophy

We are proud to put together this Milwaukee Bucks team. It took quite some time to get to where we are. At first when we began this exercise I thought we were putting together a straight fantasy squad. Then I missed making my 2nd pick on time due to oversleeping. So after taking Josh Smith, I decided to go with Marcus Camby as my "post-2nd round" 2nd rnd pick. At that point I kinda wasnt sure what to do because a lot of the star names were gone. At that point I decided the best bet would be to field the best defensive squad I could after drafting 3 top-notch defensive guys in Smith, Camby and my next pick Kirk Hinrich. It was after that where things started to go a little sideways. I reached for Ricky Davis in Round 4 and was not not so sure I was liking the look of my team. However we also drafted Marreese Speights a young post player we feel has LOADS of talent and LOADS of potential and I kept drafting and it wasn't until late in the draft I made the 2 trades that would make my direction clearer.

First I traded Camby and Ricky Davis to the Angry Pickles for Mike Miller and Antonio McDyess. Later on I packaged Miller and Josh Smith to Philly for Carmelo and Chris Wilcox and here we are now. That gave us the true #1 "go to guy" that I felt we needed next to Speights. This team is being put together for the future with these 2 guys at its heart and Hinrich and Rush completing its future core. I figured the best thing would be to surround Anthony and Speights with two-way players that would defend their respective positions around them. Defense comes FIRST. Cowens and defensive  coach Sidney Moncrief will be preaching it. They will be drilling it. You don't play defense, you don't play for this team...period.

Toughest decision

Making the trade for Anthony was actually the toughest decision. I actually like Josh Smith quite a bit. Josh is one of the few guys in this league with the ability to take over a game at both ends at the same time. He is so versatile and he's a freak of an athlete and I think he's only gonna get better. He's only 22 now. In 3 years I could be regretting giving him up for Anthony.

Best decision

My best decision was moving Camby and Davis for Mike Miller and Antonio McDyess. Miller was included in the package that later got me Anthony and Dice has a chance to be a major part of what I'm building here.

Worst decision

Choosing Davis in Round 4. Battier, Nocioni, or Marvin Williams would've been better. my plan was to go after Jamal Crawford but after he was taken a couple of spots before my pick I panicked. Especially considering I had just moved down 3 spots to obtain better draft position in later rounds.

Kirk Hinrich(27): "Captain Kirk" is coming off a down year but 2 years ago was 2nd team All-Defense. He also shot 45% from the floor including 42% from the arc. Overall statistically it was his best season. We think that's more of a measure of this kid's skill and we think he'll rebound in a better system that allows him more freedom to make plays.

Tony Allen(26): Tony had a tough year last year but we think he can also rebound to where he was the previous year where he put up 16/5.5/3 numbers with over 2 steals a game in just over 30 minutes as a starter. He also shot 52% from the floor during that time.

Carmelo Anthony(24): Statistically Melo had one of his best seasons shooting wise but one of the reasons we want to slow the game down is because we think a bit slower tempo will allow him to make consistently better decisions with the ball. We want Carmelo to take his time and let the game come to him more. We believe he can become an even more efficient player with a more deliberate pace and a pg like Hinrich who can definitely get this kid the ball where he needs it. He's had a shaky past but we really like what we've seen of him in the Olympics blending with other top players. Pressey and Moncrief can't wait to work with Carmelo.

Antonio McDyess(33): He's a huge key for us defensively in the post and offensively with his ability to stick the J on the pick and pop. But his biggest contribution will be his knowledge and mentorship with both Anthony and Speights. Dice has been a franchise talent in the past. He has also reinvented his game after severe knee injuries and he's played a supporting role on a championship team. He's played in 80 playoff games in his career. There's no doubt he has something to share with the young guys on this team.

Chris Wilcox(25): He's a physical marvel and built like a Sherman tank. He's got a great pedigree from Gary Williams and he knows how to play defense. Plus he's a finisher extraordinaire who has been in the top 20 in fg% the last 2 seasons. You get him the ball anywhere close to the rim and when hes not showing great touch he's flushing it down hard. We'd like to get this guy some more opportunities with the ball and some more minutes. Good things generally happen when Wilcox gets the ball.

Marreese Speights(21): Already said how much we like him. Watch this video:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mGOfFDPp00E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

His jumper is silk from 15-17, He's got hands like a wideout. He's quick off his feet. He knows how to use the glass in the post. He runs the floor, takes contact, battles for rebounds in traffic. He's got nice touch on the block with either hand. He just needs time, experience and the work ethic to improve. If in 3 years he hasn't pushed Dice back to the bench something went wrong.

Brandon Rush(23):Just a smart kid that does everything right. There are absolutely ZERO frills in this kid's game. He can defend, shoot with range, and slash to the rim. He makes smart decisions with the ball. He's not a "style" guy. Rush just goes out there to beat you and that's it. He just won a title in college and we cant have enough guys that have experienced winning at some point. We think his BBIQ is off the charts.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ad4JPI1lBE4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Ramon Sessions(22): Solid young backup who's just getting better. 17 games last year and finished with a 3.5:1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Obviously the 20 point 24 assist game was big for his confidence. At 6'3, 190 he has  the size to be a solid defender at the point even occasionally allowing Hinrich to slide up if need be.

Dahntay Jones(27): He may get some time here and there. He's athletic, he can defend on the perimeter, He's worked hard to improve his game each year. He's worked on his ballhandling and that has helped his ability to get into the lane and create fouls. We love his work ethic on a young team like this.

Brian Cook(27): He's coming off a tough year where he was injured for part of it but like Hinrich the previous year he was starting to come into his own. We think he'll be back fully healthy this year and will be a nice shooter off the bench to spread out defenses and a terrific weapon on the pick n pop.

Hilton Armstrong(23): He's somewhat of a project. He's made some progress and had a nice summer league.  He added some muscle to his body and made some strides with his post game and his jumpshot but we're trying to make sure he understands where he's gonna make his money in this league: defense, rebounding and shotblocking. A work in progress but we think the world of him.

Darrell Armstrong(40): He's not gonna play much but Darrell is the consummate professional. He was known early on as "the Energizer bunny", and he still is. But in his heyday back in Orlando he was the spark for his team at both ends and a vocal leader. We think he can share a lot of what he's learned through the 15 seasons of NBA basketball he's played with Hinrich and Sessions about how to lead a team and set the tempo.

Ryan Anderson(20): I imagine if Matt Bonner and Darren Collison had a lovechild they'd name him Ryan Anderson. For all the talk about the PAC-10 talent that got drafted in the lottery, it wasn't Kevin Love, Brook Lopez, Russell Westbrook, Jerryd Bayless or even O.J. Mayo that led the league in scoring in the PAC-10 last year. It was Ryan Anderson. He also finished 3rd in the conference in rebounding. Very smart fundamental player. He can shoot from distance but also not afraid to mix it up either down low. We like him a bunch and he could turn into a solid role player for years.

Ian Mahinmi(21): He played a bit role on a championship team in France. He's really only been playing the game like 5 years so he's still very raw. He's learned from Gregg Poppovich so he may have good defensive potential. Last year he helped lead the Austin Toros to the D-League Finals putting up 17/8 numbers along the way. And he's young. He's very athletic and mobile for his size and he's got length so we'll see.

Bill Walker(20): He's a wildcard. By all accounts this kid could be SCARY good if his potential is harnessed. As a power 3 he can learn a lot from how Carmelo uses his size on the court. We look forward to some epic battles in practice. He'll get some time down in the D-League but he could very well contribute at some point to this team as well. We're excited about his potential.

Team Outlook

This is a team that plans to run more out of halfcourt sets than fastbreak run-and-gun. I'd say about 60% of the time were gonna take our time and go down the floor and try to get the shot we want. We don't have the offensive firepower to beat teams 120-115. So we're gonna have to outgrind them 98-92. One thing we've noticed is that halfcourt teams that execute efficiently at the offensive end and defend hard at the other end are the ones that win titles. Boston, Miami, San Antonio, Detroit...you wanna win now more likely than not you're not gonna blow teams doors off in the playoffs.

In 3 years we think Speights is gonna be the next great young big man and together with Melo will be among the best forward combos in the East then. And although we are building towards 2012 and beyond, we truly feel we can compete for the 8th playoff spot now and can give Detroit a run for their money in the division. We liked Detroit as the clear favorite before they traded Okafor and with our moves we think we've closed the gap a bit. With the Ginobili's injury on the Cavs we think if we can get off to a hot start, we can be a dangerous team down the stretch. We're not there yet but we believe we can get there soon.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...