Author Topic: (Another) Perfect Night for the Sox  (Read 23292 times)

(Another) Perfect Night for the Sox
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
A 14-2 drubbing of the Orioles...The Yanks helped out by beating the Rays, and the Blue Jays beat Minnesota.

I really love the way the Sox are playing.  There's nothing they can do about a hot Rays team until they face them, but they've kept plugging away despite being banged up.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:24:44 PM by Redz »
Yup

Re: Perfect Night for the Sox
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 11:21:29 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
...and the Blue Jays beat Minnesota.

BOO!

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:24:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

BOO!
You can have your Division, just keep your pesky Twinkie paws off our Wild Card!  (unless of course our Wild Card ends up being Tampa's...in which case, help yourself)
Yup

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:13:49 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Did i read the Dodgers lost 8 in a row or something? Love how well the Sox have played post-Manny.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 07:57:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sox are playing over .667 ball post Manny and have lost only two series post All-Star break, the Angels series right after the break and the 2 game rain shortened series with the Blue Jays at Fenway. Their on an incredible run.

And they are doing it with major players out. Drew, Lowell, Beckett, Lugo(okay, he's not major), and Youk for the last few. So much credit should be thrown Theo's way for the pipeline of talent that he has created coming out of the minors. The homegrown talent is among the best in the league.

Youkilis, Papelbon, Pedroia, Lowrie, Ellsbury, Delcarmen, Masterson, Buchholz, Lester, and Bowden. Then couple that with the two awesome Japanese signings(let's face it not everyone has been as successful with Japanese players) and you are talking about the Red Sox backbone for the next decade.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Sox are playing over .667 ball post Manny and have lost only two series post All-Star break, the Angels series right after the break and the 2 game rain shortened series with the Blue Jays at Fenway. Their on an incredible run.

And they are doing it with major players out. Drew, Lowell, Beckett, Lugo(okay, he's not major), and Youk for the last few. So much credit should be thrown Theo's way for the pipeline of talent that he has created coming out of the minors. The homegrown talent is among the best in the league.

Youkilis, Papelbon, Pedroia, Lowrie, Ellsbury, Delcarmen, Masterson, Buchholz, Lester, and Bowden. Then couple that with the two awesome Japanese signings(let's face it not everyone has been as successful with Japanese players) and you are talking about the Red Sox backbone for the next decade.

It's also crazy to consider how few players from the `04 team are still contributing this year.  Though I guess if you look around MLB there is similar turnover everywhere - you just might not expect to see such sustained success with so much turnover.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 10:37:54 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113

BOO!

That is bittersweet.  The Dome is a great place to watch a ball game with a great atmosphere outside of the Dome (I have no earthly idea why they'd want an outdoor stadium).  Gardenhire and the Twins organization may be the most consistently competent small market team in baseball.  We get up there for the Red Sox series and at least another every year.  Cheap tickets, parking, well marketed, and a team that always plays hard and aggressive baseball.

Hopefully they overtake the White Sox.

As for us, the epitomy of addition by subtraction by ridding ourselves of Manny's attitude.  Getting Bay was a big bonus.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 11:41:05 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
not to hijack, but i'm with remy on dirt dog.

"It's been a logn time since i've seen a guy as hot with the bat as dustin is right now" -remy.

can anyone remeber anybody as hot with the bat for as logn as dustin has been? and im not talking about his HR numbers, im talking about just as a hitter.

every ball is tagged, even his outs. it's amazing how well the kid is swinging right now. he puts the barrell on everything. that one he crushed last night was out of the strike zone high. he still crushed it.

the only guy i can think of who comes close is boggs, back in the day. but even then, wade would have some games where he got 2 hits but they were nubbers, or blops.

I know someone will say bonds back in the day, but he was always a HR or bust guy. Dustin is just a nasty hitter.

Pedroia is killing the ball, everythigns on a line.

it's crazy right now.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

"It's been a logn time since i've seen a guy as hot with the bat as dustin is right now" -remy.

can anyone remeber anybody as hot with the bat for as logn as dustin has been? and im not talking about his HR numbers, im talking about just as a hitter.

every ball is tagged, even his outs. it's amazing how well the kid is swinging right now. he puts the barrell on everything. that one he crushed last night was out of the strike zone high. he still crushed it.

the only guy i can think of who comes close is boggs, back in the day. but even then, wade would have some games where he got 2 hits but they were nubbers, or blops.

I know someone will say bonds back in the day, but he was always a HR or bust guy. Dustin is just a nasty hitter.

it's crazy right now.
For the Sox...Nomahhhh had some pretty crazy hot streaks

I seem to recall Vlad Guerrero going on a silly streak or two too
Yup

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 12:17:57 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

it's crazy right now.
For the Sox...Nomahhhh had some pretty crazy hot streaks

I seem to recall Vlad Guerrero going on a silly streak or two too

nomar had one i remeber in 98 or 99 that was pretty good.

but i mean, this crazy tear dustin is on has lasted a full month and a half now...guys putting up videogame numbers  :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

it's crazy right now.
I'm older but I remember Jim Rice in 1978 where it seems just about every time he connected with a ball that year he had the sweet spot on the ball. He got so hot, at one point in a game versus the Brewers, the Brewer manager walked him intentionally when the bases were loaded. Yaz used to hit behind Jim Ed and the manager figured he'd rather give up the run and pitch to someone else than to let Jim smack an extra base hit. He had 25 doubles, 15 triples and 46 HRs while batting .315 and had 406 total bases. That's the hottest and most consistent time I ever saw someone put the head of the bat on the ball. He spent one day below .300 the whole year and at one point had his BA up to .370 or so in May and .330 or so in September.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Pedroia's .356 June, .350 July, and .374 August is pretty tough to beat in this era (obviously guys like Ted Williams, Tony Gwynn, Rod Carew, Paul Molitor etc would have to have better streaks while having seasonal averages higher than Pedroia's monthly averages).

From personal knowledge, I know Mauer and Morneau had some crazy steaks in 2006.  That year, Mauer went .319 in April, .386 in May, .452 in June, and as a catcher, I put this 3 month streak well ahead of Pedroia's current 3 month hot streak.  Also that year, Morneau went .364 in June (10 HR, 29 RBI), .410 in July (8, 23), .294 in August (4, 22), and brought it back up with .348 in September (2, 19)... those averages, included with his power numbers, I might put that 4 month stretch ahead of Pedroia's as well.  That stretch propelled Morneau to the MVP award... will Pedroia's do the same?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 03:49:06 PM by Big Ticket »

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 02:53:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Bonds had a couple of months of slugging over 1.000 in `01

Steroids or not...has to be mentioned in hot streaks

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=bondsba01&year=2001
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:59:39 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 03:10:07 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

right, but that was during his "hr or bust! " days.

while impressive, im talking about pure hitters more than HR or out guys.

TP to nick, that rice streak sounds ridiculous

as to his MVP chances, if he keeps hitting like this through sept, i don't see how he's not the front runner.

in my mind, right now there's only 4 AL cannadites (which is sad for the AL, good for post roids baseball heh)

1. hamilton- great year, but i can't give it to a guy who's team is terrable, sorry josh.

2. Quillen- the onyl real comptition, doing incredible things for the white sox, better power.

3. k rod- count me among those who think that saves are overrated. give him the cy young over lee if you want to reward him, no MVP for a guy who played in 60 innings or so all eyar.

4. dustin.

out of those 4, only dustin and quil are realistic canadtes in my mind.

another crazy month, and i think dustin takes it.

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 03:22:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

right, but that was during his "hr or bust! " days.

while impressive, im talking about pure hitters more than HR or out guys.

TP to nick, that rice streak sounds ridiculous

as to his MVP chances, if he keeps hitting like this through sept, i don't see how he's not the front runner.

in my mind, right now there's only 4 AL cannadites (which is sad for the AL, good for post roids baseball heh)

1. hamilton- great year, but i can't give it to a guy who's team is terrable, sorry josh.

2. Quillen- the onyl real comptition, doing incredible things for the white sox, better power.

3. k rod- count me among those who think that saves are overrated. give him the cy young over lee if you want to reward him, no MVP for a guy who played in 60 innings or so all eyar.

4. dustin.

out of those 4, only dustin and quil are realistic canadtes in my mind.

another crazy month, and i think dustin takes it.
I'm no fan of Bonds, but homer binge or not, the sheer #'s were ridiculous.

Rice's streak was huge.  His 406 TBs that year was  the only 400 TB season for a span of something like 40 years (before all of the silly home runs seasons of the 90's and early 2K's).  Rice was the guy I tried to be when I got up to bat as a kid.  I wanted to be #14 whenever possible.

What I love most about Pedroia's streak has been the accompanying attitude and how the team has taken to it.

Yup