Poll

Who will win the "fake" Atlantic Division in 2008-09?

Boston (Oden, Scola, Gallinari, Barbosa, Harris, etc.)
0 (0%)
New Jersey (Okur, West, Pierce, Maggette, Kidd, etc.)
13 (61.9%)
New York (Dampier, KG, Lewis, Azubuike, Miller, etc.)
5 (23.8%)
Philadelphia (Haywood, Smith, Artest, Miller, Alston, etc.)
2 (9.5%)
Toronto (Ilgauskas, Jamison, Young, Carter, Iverson, etc.)
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Atlantic Division  (Read 26945 times)

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Atlantic Division
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2008, 05:30:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Initial response to Boston's roster:

1. Who is the team leader?

2. Needs some sort of experienced veteran presence to keep the rest of the team even-keeled during the rough patches. Scola is a 2nd year player, and Vaughn is 3rd string. I don't see Korver filling this role.

3. Petro and Bargnani look to be the bench players with the best shot of making the rotation in the next 5 years. Don't see a whole lot of upside for the future beyond the starting 5 for such a forward-leaning team.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2008, 05:36:35 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Initial response to New Jersey's roster:

1. Deep team, with a clearly defined 9-man rotation. Still, PG depth has me worried. Kidd and Fish are two of the oldest PGs in the league. A third, young understudy might be a good idea.

2. Athleticism/defense off the bench: I think the team will have greater need for Balkman and Collins than Malik Rose and Juan Dixon. I'd look to get rid of the older 3rd stringers for youth. White should help.

Other than that, not a whole lot to critique. I think this team may be the presumptive favorite to win the division title.

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2008, 05:48:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Initial response to New York's roster:

1. Backcourt depth: not wild about the bench options at the 1/2. Banks hasn't done much in the league, and while I like Barry and House in situational play, I don't like either for more than spot duty. Mardy Collins might need to be activated.

2. Posey the only SF option off the bench, unless Buckner is active. He's a key reserve, but he could see too much of the court during the regular season to be effective in the playoffs.

3. Bench options for frontcourt as well: Humphries has upside, and Skinner is a serviceable backup at the PF/C as well, but I'm not crazy about either of them as the primary backup to your starters. An accomplished post player/scorer off the bench would be a great addition. Easier said than done, to be sure.

The starting five is a decent cast around KG, but I'm having a hard time feeling comfortable about the bench's ability to score and defend.

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2008, 06:03:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

1. Deep team, with a clearly defined 9-man rotation. Still, PG depth has me worried. Kidd and Fish are two of the oldest PGs in the league. A third, young understudy might be a good idea.

2. Athleticism/defense off the bench: I think the team will have greater need for Balkman and Collins than Malik Rose and Juan Dixon. I'd look to get rid of the older 3rd stringers for youth. White should help.

Other than that, not a whole lot to critique. I think this team may be the presumptive favorite to win the division title.

I know Kidd and Fisher are old, but both are still very capable and have never really had health problems or were injury prone.  Both playing reduced minutes do to the presence of the other will help their effectiveness and help them overcome their ages somewhat.  Plus with such a deep team, there won't be much of a burden on either of them and this will also help them out (especially Kidd).  I would like to have some younger players, but with a win now approach, and what was available to me when I was drafting I feel what I have is the best I could do (all the younger players were drafted much higher by people with a "win for the future" approach, no way you can tell me for next year only you'd rather have someone like Westbrook over Fisher).  Kidd will still be a top 10 point guard this upcoming season in my opinion.

Balkman can definitely get some time, but with Pierce, Maggette, and Mo Pete I feel there is just not much available at the wings for him.  Also with Okur and Przybilla, not much time for Collins either.  I also like what Rose brings in experience, toughness, and classiness (like a PJ Brown), but either way Collins, Balkman, Dixon, and Rose aren't playing too much anyway.  It's definitely a good sign when one of your only complaints against my team is my 3rd string point guard and 3rd/4th string center.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:09:09 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2008, 06:15:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I know Kidd and Fisher are old, but both are still very capable and have never really had health problems or were injury prone.  Both playing reduced minutes do to the presence of the other will help their effectiveness and help them overcome their ages somewhat.  Plus with such a deep team, there won't be much of a burden on either of them and this will also help them out (especially Kidd).  I would like to have some younger players, but with a win now approach, and what was available to me when I was drafting I feel what I have is the best I could do.  Kidd will still be a top 10 point guard this upcoming season in my opinion.

Balkman can definitely get some time, but with Pierce, Maggette, and Mo Pete I feel there is just not much available at the wings for him.  Also with Okur and Przybilla, not much time for Collins either.  I also like what Rose brings in experience, toughness, and classiness (like a PJ Brown), but either way Collins, Balkman, Dixon, and Rose aren't playing too much anyway.  It's definitely a good sign when one of your only complaints against my team is my 3rd string point guard and 3rd/4th string center.

Yeah, those were the only two concerns I had, and they are minor. Still, if you could find a taker for Dixon, or locate a decent 3rd PG still on the waiver wire, I'd pull the trigger.

I agree that rumors of Kidd's demise are premature: he was thrown into a heated playoff race, and forced to learn new teammates/system on the fly in Dallas down the stretch. That's tough to do. I expect him to bounce back this season.

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2008, 06:53:34 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Questions for the Celtics:

1) Is the goal to have Barg's overall game improve to where you can start him at PF thus opening the post for Oden to be effective?

3) Your team seems to be geared towards being a running team, however what happens two years from now when , conceivably, Barg replaces Scola in the starting 5? Can your team run with both Oden and Barg? How do you think Oden's knees will hold up under the strain of a fast tempo?

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2008, 07:22:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Eh...  I don't have as much time to dedicate to the press conferences today as I'd like.  So, quickly:

Boston:

1) Any concern that much of your talent isn't proven?

2) Where does your leadership come from?

3) Any worries about building around a talented but potentially injury prone center?

4) Bargnani had a terrible second season.  Are you worried?

5) Other than Oden, where does the defense come from?

6) Any worries that Barbosa doesn't have a true position?  What about the concerns out of Phoenix that he refuses to play defense and has a poor work ethic?

1)  Harris has been in the NBA Finals.  Scola has a boatload of international experience and a season on NBA ball under his belt now.  Barbosa has been involved in multiple NBA playoff series' with Phoenix.  Oden's performed exceptionally in the NCAA title game.  Korver and Bags have both seen the playoffs as well.  I'm not terribly concerned about a lack of experience despite the youth.  I wouldn't consider any (possible exception of Barbosa) as totally establishing themselves at the NBA level either, though.

2) I'm expecting the leadership to come from Harris and I think both Scola & Korver can also lead on this team.

3) Of course, there's a bit of concern.  However, I think he'll be fine and the Sam Bowie comparisons made by some are way overboard.  Micro-fracture surgery is no longer the death sentence it once was.

4) Well, that's why he's coming off the bench  The hope is that he can regain some confidence without being overburdened.  He's a former #1 pick and showed some promise the 2nd half of his rookie year.  The hope is that he can return to that lavel.  However, his second season was definitely a letdown and there still is plenty of concern.

5) Devin Harris will provide some defense in the backcourt.  The rest will come from Scola (average defender) and bench guys like Petro and Lasme.  I'm not too concerned with interior defense but am concerned with perimeter defense.

6) Barbosa is definitely one of those combo guards.  With Harris at the point, the natural progression is to slide Barbosa over to shooting guard.  He can shoot from beyond the arc while also having the ability to slash to the rim.  My biggest concern there is his size (only 6'3") and his defensive capabilities on the better shooting guards of the league The hope is that a change in scenery can bring about a change in Barbosa's demeanor and the defensive capabilities of Harris and Oden can rub off on Barbosa.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2008, 07:26:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
For Boston: My concern would be depending on Oden to basically become Olajuwon offensively and carry the team at both ends without another legit post scorer. Scola seems more like a "garbage man" than a legit offensive threat. But as this team is a team for the future there's still a ton of time before this has to be settled. Any cncern for a lack of veteran leadership on the court?

IMO, Scola can flat-out play and I think now with a year of NBA experience under his belt, he's going to be fine.  He averaged over 10 ppg last season despite a woeful start to the season.  He's not expected to be the primary go to guy in the post but he'll be fine down there with his ability to knock down that short jumper and draw his defender out of the paint.

Regarding veteran leadership, as mentioned in my response to Roy, I think Harris will be a leader out there as well as Korver and even Scola.  Not too much of a concern.

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2008, 07:28:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Boston - Any worry about the lack of size at SG going forward?  Or is this something you are looking to get in the future?

I do like that you have both a young team, but a young team that has some playoff experience (Finals) in certain places. 

Yes, the SG position is definitely my biggest concern regarding my team.  I think Barbosa is a good stop-gap for now but the team would definitely like to address the size issue going forward in the future.

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Initial response to Boston's roster:

1. Who is the team leader?

2. Needs some sort of experienced veteran presence to keep the rest of the team even-keeled during the rough patches. Scola is a 2nd year player, and Vaughn is 3rd string. I don't see Korver filling this role.

3. Petro and Bargnani look to be the bench players with the best shot of making the rotation in the next 5 years. Don't see a whole lot of upside for the future beyond the starting 5 for such a forward-leaning team.

1) Devin Harris

2) I actually think Scola can fit the bill.  He's only 2nd year in NBA terms. He's 28 with lots of experience overseas and with his national team. He's has a fiery personality on the court and I think his teammates can follow by example there.

3) I think Lasme has the potential to become a rotation guy.  He might be another year away but he can already provide some great interior defense with his shotblocking skills not to mention his incredible wingspan. His offensive game needs to be refined but he still managed to average 5ppg last season. I also think Diener has some potential to be a backup PG in this league.  He's a decent ball distributor. Other spots will most likely be addressed via free agency and the draft.

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2008, 08:04:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Scola's #'s as a starter were even better.  He averaged 13+ PPG and 7.5 rebounds in 39 games (in just 29 minutes per game in those games).  Plus he shot .531 from the field.  He also was a major work horse for that the Rockets doing the ever popular "intangibles".

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/players/player/splits/2007/307857
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:10:13 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2008, 08:13:01 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Scola's #'s as a starter were even better.  He averaged 13+ PPG and 7.5 rebounds in 39 games (in just 29 minutes per game in those games).  Plus he shot .531 from the field.  He also was a major work horse for that the Rockets doing the ever popular "intangibles".

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/players/player/splits/2007/307857

Plus, how many players can pull off the "greasy mullet" look?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2008, 08:13:22 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I guess the Raptors surrender? 

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2008, 08:15:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I guess the Raptors surrender? 

They were contacted, but no response.  No idea what the deal is.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 08:15:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Questions for the Celtics:

1) Is the goal to have Barg's overall game improve to where you can start him at PF thus opening the post for Oden to be effective?

3) Your team seems to be geared towards being a running team, however what happens two years from now when , conceivably, Barg replaces Scola in the starting 5? Can your team run with both Oden and Barg? How do you think Oden's knees will hold up under the strain of a fast tempo?

1) I'm actually comfortable right now going forward with Scola at the PF position even a few years into the future.  He's only 28 so he should be hitting his stride for the next few years.  However, if Bargnani does step it up and get to where some people think he can be, then I'll face an interesting dilemma at the PF position.  Scola will do a decent job opening the post for Oden on his own.  He can't spread the D beyond the arc like Bags can but he can still bring 'em out to the 10-12 foot area.

2) I think short-term that you're definitely right about this being a running team.  The fast break will start with Oden on the boards while the speed demon combo of Harris/Barbosa with rushing up the court.  However, inevitably (prob with the replacement of Barbosa) this team will commit more to a half court offense to take advantage of a more seasoned Oden in the paint.  Oden's only 20 now so his young body should be able to handle the fast tempo but eventually as Oden gets a few more years in the league, the offensive strategy will change up.