Poll

Who will win the "fake" Atlantic Division in 2008-09?

Boston (Oden, Scola, Gallinari, Barbosa, Harris, etc.)
0 (0%)
New Jersey (Okur, West, Pierce, Maggette, Kidd, etc.)
13 (61.9%)
New York (Dampier, KG, Lewis, Azubuike, Miller, etc.)
5 (23.8%)
Philadelphia (Haywood, Smith, Artest, Miller, Alston, etc.)
2 (9.5%)
Toronto (Ilgauskas, Jamison, Young, Carter, Iverson, etc.)
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Atlantic Division  (Read 26838 times)

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Atlantic Division
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 03:47:03 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Do the Knicks have any worries that they don't have a crunch time scorer (its not rea;;y KG's forte or Lewis's)?

Any worries about the effectiveness due to age of Barry? What about the fact that Marcus Banks hasn't played well in two years?

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Do the Knicks have any worries that they don't have a crunch time scorer (its not rea;;y KG's forte or Lewis's)?

Any worries about the effectiveness due to age of Barry? What about the fact that Marcus Banks hasn't played well in two years?

From talking to the Knicks, Berry is still capable of providing 15 solid minutes off the bench.

Banks is the 12th/13th man.  He is there to provide extra defensive pressure on the other teams PG.  If he returns to the form he has shown with KG in the past, it is a bonus for the team. 

The ball will have to be in KG hands in crunch time.  He will have to be more aggressive if they leave single coverage on him.  The rest of the players are ready to hit the open shots he creates.

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 03:59:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
76ers - Who is the Man?   I see plenty on there that think they should be the Man. 

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 04:00:30 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
NJ - Are you worried about the lack of speed and athleticism at the G spots?    (Magette and Pierce are both natural SF that can play SG, but neither would be consider fast at SG) 

I think any lack of speed Maggette and Pierce have at the SG position would be made up for in size.  Pierce and Maggette have that strength and size to get to the rim over the faster players, those guys are tanks compared to most traditional SG's, also they could post up the smaller, faster players too.  Of course maybe I'm just not thinking of the right players, is there any particular players that you see causing Maggette or Pierce problems at the 2 guard so maybe I could address the question a little more specifically?

I would like to have a more athletic PG but am happy with what I do have. If we play a half court game with a balanced offense you don't need the most athletic PG.  Guys like Mark Jackson and John Stockton held their own against younger, quicker, faster, more athletic players and played on winning teams.  I see a similar situation with Kidd and Fisher, neither of whom are considered slow or unathletic.  Also I have size again with Kidd.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 04:04:35 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
NJ - Are you worried about the lack of speed and athleticism at the G spots?    (Magette and Pierce are both natural SF that can play SG, but neither would be consider fast at SG) 

I think any lack of speed Maggette and Pierce have at the SG position would be made up for in size.  Pierce and Maggette have that strength and size to get to the rim over the faster players, those guys are tanks compared to most traditional SG's, also they could post up the smaller, faster players too.  Of course maybe I'm just not thinking of the right players, is there any particular players that you see causing Maggette or Pierce problems at the 2 guard so maybe I could address the question a little more specifically?

I would like to have a more athletic PG but am happy with what I do have. If we play a half court game with a balanced offense you don't need the most athletic PG.  Guys like Mark Jackson and John Stockton held their own against younger, quicker, faster, more athletic players and played on winning teams.  I see a similar situation with Kidd and Fisher, neither of whom are considered slow or unathletic.  Also I have size again with Kidd.

I was just looking at the G position overall.  With the rules changes since Jackson and Stockton played, it makes it much harder for the larger PGs to dominate.  Just a little more speed off your bench might make a huge difference.

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
New York:  I've seen that you expect to win the division.  How do you match up with New Jersey?  Can Dampier cover either Okur or West effectively?  I'm assuming your identity is as a defensive team.  How does that jive with having Miller and Lewis in your lineup, neither of whom is considered a good defender?  Is Azubuike ready for prime time, and how do you improve his consistency?

It seems as though you have modeled your team after the 2007-08 Boston Celtics.  Two of the teams the "real" Celtics struggled with were the Jazz and the Hornets.  Aren't the Fake Nets a better combination of the strengths of the Jazz and Hornets teams?  If so, how do you stop them, when the real Celtics couldn't do so effectively?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Question for the Knicks:

Like the team, but i do have a concern - specifically what happens to your team once it makes it to the playoffs, which seems like a given.

Love what this team can do defensively, but i'm concerned about what happens when this team faces an athletic defense in the post-season.  As some others have mentioned, KG is not going to shoot the ball 20 times a game - even if it appears like that is the best option - he is going to get teammates involed, for better or worse.  this concerns me because of the lack of a proven "get on my back" type of player that will hit all the big shots and get to the line.  Seems like Lewis is the guy you hope will become that player...here's the problem:

career playoff shooting averages - Rashard Lewis: 42% from the field/ 30% from 3.

That is a CONSIDERABLE drop in production for one of the league's top distance shooters, and that is 26 games worth of data as well.

So my question to you is what leads you to believe that Rashard lewis can turn it around and become that deep threat and playmaker that he hasn't proven he can be in the playoffs? Azibuke is a question mark in the playoffs and teams will be sagging off of Miller to clog up KG - do you let miller and azibuke fire away or do house and barry take their minutes?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
New York:  I've seen that you expect to win the division.  How do you match up with New Jersey?  Can Dampier cover either Okur or West effectively?  I'm assuming your identity is as a defensive team.  How does that jive with having Miller and Lewis in your lineup, neither of whom is considered a good defender?  Is Azubuike ready for prime time, and how do you improve his consistency?

It seems as though you have modeled your team after the 2007-08 Boston Celtics.  Two of the teams the "real" Celtics struggled with were the Jazz and the Hornets.  Aren't the Fake Nets a better combination of the strengths of the Jazz and Hornets teams?  If so, how do you stop them, when the real Celtics couldn't do so effectively?

I prefer Fantasy Nets to Fake Nets, thank you very much.  >:( ;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Miller is a better defender then you think.  http://www.82games.com/0708/07PHI2C.HTM

And with guys like KG and Dampier behind him, he will be even better.

Lewis was average at best defending, but was part of a good team defense.  Same case here. 

One advantage this team has is they can bring Posey in and play small with Lewis at the PF instead of Posey. 

As for Azubuike, he gets the whole season getting used to being the 4th option and playing off KG. 

As for the comparison to the Jazz and Hornets, Kidd is no longer on the same level as Paul and Williams.  He doesn't have the speed that will open the game up for the rest. 

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 04:20:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

How about Imaginary Nets?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Question for the Knicks:

Like the team, but i do have a concern - specifically what happens to your team once it makes it to the playoffs, which seems like a given.

Love what this team can do defensively, but i'm concerned about what happens when this team faces an athletic defense in the post-season.  As some others have mentioned, KG is not going to shoot the ball 20 times a game - even if it appears like that is the best option - he is going to get teammates involed, for better or worse.  this concerns me because of the lack of a proven "get on my back" type of player that will hit all the big shots and get to the line.  Seems like Lewis is the guy you hope will become that player...here's the problem:

career playoff shooting averages - Rashard Lewis: 42% from the field/ 30% from 3.

That is a CONSIDERABLE drop in production for one of the league's top distance shooters, and that is 26 games worth of data as well.

So my question to you is what leads you to believe that Rashard lewis can turn it around and become that deep threat and playmaker that he hasn't proven he can be in the playoffs? Azibuke is a question mark in the playoffs and teams will be sagging off of Miller to clog up KG - do you let miller and azibuke fire away or do house and barry take their minutes?

But has Lewis ever played in the playoffs with guys that can get him the ball in prime position as well as KG and Miller?  

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 04:21:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

How about Imaginary Nets?

How about 'the team the Nets wished the had?'

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 04:35:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

As for the comparison to the Jazz and Hornets, Kidd is no longer on the same level as Paul and Williams.  He doesn't have the speed that will open the game up for the rest. 

Are you underrating Kidd?

Assists per 48:  Deron - 13.5, Kidd - 13.3 (13.47 per 48 with the Nets)

Assists to T/O:  Deron - 3.09, Kidd - 3.03

One thing Kidd still *does* do well is open the game up for his teammates.  He's not much of a scorer anymore, and he's a poor defender.  However, he's still one hell of a passer who gets his teammates easy looks, even with teammates as crappy as he had on the "real" Nets.

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2008, 04:46:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Are you underrating Kidd?

Assists per 48:  Deron - 13.5, Kidd - 13.3 (13.47 per 48 with the Nets)

Assists to T/O:  Deron - 3.09, Kidd - 3.03

One thing Kidd still *does* do well is open the game up for his teammates.  He's not much of a scorer anymore, and he's a poor defender.  However, he's still one hell of a passer who gets his teammates easy looks, even with teammates as crappy as he had on the "real" Nets.

Kidd's record for last year was 40-42.

And when joining the 35-18 Mavs, they went 16-13 the rest of the way.  Roughly 45-37 over a full season. 

He isn't the player he used to be.  And he is not going to cause the issues Paul and Williams can.

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2008, 04:57:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Initial response to Philly's roster:

1. Needs a trade for some roster balance. The backlog at SF between Artest, Nocioni, and Battier has already been commented on, but bears repeating.

2. PG depth: Rafer Alston and the rookie Singletary. If Alston loses time to injury/does time, the team is in rough straits, since Artest is the only other player in the rotation that can create shots.

3. Chemistry: lots of fragile/combustible egos.

DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague