Poll

Who will win the "fake" Atlantic Division in 2008-09?

Boston (Oden, Scola, Gallinari, Barbosa, Harris, etc.)
0 (0%)
New Jersey (Okur, West, Pierce, Maggette, Kidd, etc.)
13 (61.9%)
New York (Dampier, KG, Lewis, Azubuike, Miller, etc.)
5 (23.8%)
Philadelphia (Haywood, Smith, Artest, Miller, Alston, etc.)
2 (9.5%)
Toronto (Ilgauskas, Jamison, Young, Carter, Iverson, etc.)
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Atlantic Division  (Read 26839 times)

Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Atlantic Division
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:00:13 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here, each of the GMs representing a team in the Atlantic Division will provide an introduction / summary of their team, draft strategy, etc.  Other members should ask questions (directed to one or more GMs), and those GMs should attempt to answer the questions as well as they can.

For those participating, the opening blurbs can include some or all of the following:

1. Roster / depth chart
2. Statistics
3. Pictures
4. Statement regarding drafting philosophy (building for the future, contending now, etc.)
5. Toughest decision
6. Best move (trade, pick, etc.) / worst move
7. Your outlook for this coming season

It can be as substantial or as abbreviated as you want it to be.  These threads are open to all members, not just those posters who participated in the draft.  The more participation we get, the better.

==============================

Boston press conference
New Jersey press conference
New York press conference
Philadelphia press conference
Toronto press conference
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:27:55 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Atlantic Division
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:01:20 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Philly's GM is on vacation, so I was asked to post this:

________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Philadelphia 76ers present to you:

Brendan Haywood C|7-0| 10.7ppg 7.2rpg 1.7blk
Josh Smith PF|6-9| 17.2ppg 8.2rpg 2.8blk 1.5stl
Ron Artest SF|6-7| 20.5ppg 5.8rpg 3.5ast 2.33stl
Mike Miller SG|6-8| 16.4ppg 3.4ast 6.7rpg 43%3pFG
Rafer Alston PG|6-2| 13.3ppg 5.2ast 1.3stl
Shane Battier SF|6-8| 9.5ppg 5.1rpg 2ast 1stl 1blk
Andres Nocioni SF|6-7| 13.2ppg 4.2rpg 36%3pFG
Kurt Thomas C|6-9|6.4ppg 7.2rpg .81blk
Keith Bogans SG|6-5|8.7ppg 36%3pFG 1.3ast 3.2rpg
Ronny Turiaf PF|6-10|6.6ppg 3.9rpg 1.1blk
Sean Singletary PG|6-0|College stats: 19.8ppg 6.2ast 37%3pFG
CJ Miles SG|6-6|5ppg 1ast 39%3pFG
Alexander Johnson PF|6-10| 4.2ppg 2.2rpg
Jannero Pargo PG|6-1| 8.1ppg 2.4ast 35%3pFG
Earl Barron C|7-0| 7.1ppg 4.3rpg

Going into the draft I didn't have a game plan mainly because I had inherited this team when about half of the first round was completed.  However, when I did start I was looking for versatile players that were athletic and were pesky in defense.  I still believe I pulled off my goal.  The team started out with drafting Carmelo Anthony, and proceeded to draft players to create a log jam at the SF position.  This may have happened because I tried to draft the best player at times and created a problem for myself.

The team was small at first until I had traded Stephen Jackson and Mo Williams for Rafer Alston, Ron Artest, and Brendan Haywood.  This helped me get bigger and fill the starting center position.

Another move to balance the team occured when I had traded Carmelo Anthony and Chris Wilcox for Josh Smith and Mike Miller.  It was tough giving up an elite scorer like Carmelo but it was essential in making this team a more balanced threat.

The organization feels that we have a great defensive team, Ron Artest can guard 3 positions and is a pesky stronger defender.  Josh Smith is active down low with his weakside blocking abilities.  Mike Miller is large for a SG so he can matchup against larger SG's however smaller fast SG's may give him some problems.  However, Millers shortcomings against the quicker SG's will be over come by the superior help defenders at the backup SF position.  Shane Battier is one of the leagues best help defenders and potentially a 6th man of the year award.  Battier and Nocioni have some of the highest rates for drawing charges against opposing teams.  Battier also brings great leadership and is a great 'glue guy.' 

At Center we feel the defensive presence is also prevalent.  Haywood we feel can average 10 and 10 given the minutes along with 2blks a game.  He is a very serviceable center not asked to hold the burden of carrying the offense.  While his backup Kurt Thomas is an outstanding 1on1 defender and a great team defender.  Although he isn't a great shot blocker we feel that Josh Smith and Haywood can easily make up.

We feel the Mike Miller is a great underrated player at SG who is deadly from 3, he is an above average passer and rebounds very well for his position.  We feel that he can contribute a lot to this team while not needing the ball in his hands a lot although if needed he can handle the ball.

Alston is a good ballhandler who's shot can be streaky.  We feel he can open a lot of free shots for Miller behind the arc when he drives to the hoop.

Artest is one of the best defenders in the league, he's quick for his size and difficult to post against.  He gets a lot of steals and put up 20 points a night.

We are excited to put together this dynamic group of players who can put up some numbers on offensive and suffocate teams on defense.  We like you starting 5 and feel we have one of the best benches in the league.

P.S. you can take it how you will but Earl Barron and Jannero Pargo were drafted and offered contracts before they signed international deals in the real world.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 12:32:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Boston Celtics

"Team of the '10s"

Starting Five

PG- Devin Harris 6'3" 185 lbs Age: 25 14.8 ppg 5.8 apg 1.4 spg
SG- Leandro Barbosa 6'3" 202 lbs Age: 25 15.6 ppg 2.6 apg .389 3P%
SF- Danilo Gallinari 6'8" 210 lbs Age: 20 Rookie
PF- Luis Scola 6'9" 230 lbs Age: 28 10.3 ppg 6.4 rpg 0.2 bpg
C- Greg Oden 7'0" 250 lbs Age: 20 Rookie

The Bench

SF- Kyle Korver 6'6" 211 lbs Age: 27 9.9 ppg 2.3 rpg 1.3 apg .375 3P%
PF- Andrea Bargnani 6'10" 250 lbs Age: 22 10.2 ppg 3.7 rpg 0.5 bpg
C- Johan Petro 7'0" 247 lbs Age: 22 6.0 ppg 5.1 rpg 0.6 bpg
PG- Travis Diener 6'1" 175 lbs Age: 26 6.9 ppg 3.8 apg 0.5 spg
SG- Salim Stoudemire 6'1" 175 lbs Age: 25 5.7 ppg 0.8 apg .341 3P%
PF- Stephane Lasme 6'8" 220 lbs Age: 25 5.2 ppg 3.3 rpg 1.4 bpg
PG- Jacques Vaughn 6'1" 190 lbs Age: 33 4.1 ppg 2.1 apg 0.3 spg
SF- Joey Graham 6'7" 225 lbs Age: 25 3.6 ppg 1.8 rpg 0.4 apg

Team/Drafting Philosophy

So last year I built a win now team.  This year I thought it'd be fun to go young and see if I could build a proverbial "team of the future".  I was given a top 15 pick and thought I'd have a shot at grabbing Greg Oden.  Who better to build a young team with than a young, gifted center?

Following up my Oden pick, I decided to trade out of the second round and picked up two additional picks to go with my own.  I felt that point guard was the next position to address and decided that there weren't too many young point guards out there to fit my fold.  When I saw Devin Harris dropping a bit in the early third round, I decided to trade a late round pick as well as switching one of my third rounders to move up and draft him.  I felt that he's a young but proven point guard who is already well-versed in playoff baskeball.  A good floor general.  With my second 3rd rounder, I felt that Barbosa was just too good a talent to pass up in the third so I went with him as my starting SG.  This is probably my biggest concern.  Although I have an extremely quick backcourt, I'm concerned about the lack of size and questionable defense at the 2 spot. 

In the fourth round, I was eyeing Luis Scola the whole time and was pleased when I was able to grab him in the middle of the round.  I felt he would be a great complement down low with Oden.  As we later saw in the Olympics, Scola can hit those 10-12 footers as well as attack the rim.  I like the idea of a PF who can spread the floor a bit when who have someone of Oden's stature in the middle.

I was able to parlay a couple of deals to net myself 3 5th round picks.  I figured I could finish out my starting five as well as to start build my bench.  So I continued my youth movement and went with Gallinari.  I  just think this kid can step in right away and be a contributor on this team.  He'd probably start the season as a roleplayer but I see him stepping into the starting lineup real early in the season.  The kid can shoot from the outside and already has shown a bit of a toughness streak.  His size is another bonus at the SF spot. I followed up Gallinari by grabbing another foreigner, Andrea Bargnani.  He has a disappointing '07-'08 season but he is still awfully young and did show glimpses his rookie year of why he was the #1 overall pick.  Willing to roll dice on him coming off the bench.  Good value in the 5th round.  Lastly, in the 5th round, I grabbed Kyle Korver.   Now this kid can shoot the three and provide a real offensive spark off the bench.

Things were quiet until the 8th round when I picked up Johan Petro to back up Oden.  He's a big 7 footer who can clog things up in the middle while also grabbing some boards and getting some easy bunnies.  I also addressed my backup PG situation by grabbing Travis Diener.  Another nice roleplayer who showed some promise last season in Indiana on the court after leaving Orlando where he was stuck on the bench.  He can provide some assists while also offering a decent level of defense.

I finished things off by filling out my team’s depth chart.  I grabbed Salim Stoudemire.  Another 3 pt shooter who can get hot.  I also went with Stephane Lasme who provides great interior defense and showed great promise his rookie year.  I’d love to see him become sort’ve a Sean Williams/Leon Powe hybrid.  Jacques Vaughn doesn’t really fit my strategy but he’s a 3rd string point guard who can provide some veteran leadership for this young squad.  My final pick was Joey Graham.  A slasher who can provide tough defense off the bench.

Outlook

This is clearly a team built for the future.  Only one player over 30 while two starters are only 20 years old.  However, there is some veteran talent here so I see this team making a run at a playoff berth right away.  I think , in the East, that they could compete for that 7 or 8 seed.  Things that I love about this team is the quality youth, especially at the point guard and center position.  I think Gallinari is the wild card here.  I fully expect him to live up to his lottery expectations.  Scola is Scola.  The guy can flat out play.  No concern there.

Some concerns I have include the SG position.  Not a lot of size or defense there.  Plenty of speed and 3 pt shooting ability though.  Also, I think this team could use an established slasher/playmaker.  Gallinari has that potential but he's unproven.  I think this team can play defense downlow but have some concern about the perimeter defense. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:34:46 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Note:

I start grad school tomorrow so I won't be around in the afternoon to answer questions.  I'll make every attempt to get back on in the evening to address any of your questions.

-Dons

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 06:32:36 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Philly - Any concern with the attitude of players like Artest, Alston, Haywood, Smith, Bogans? All have a history of being "boneheaded" and disharmony could arise.

Boston - Clearly this is a team built for the future, so I'll ask the obvious question: How do you think you'll fair in the Finals against Either Las Vegas or Portland?

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:55:12 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Philly- Do you think you lack some height/length on your roster. If so, do you think it's a big problem and how will it affect your team?

Boston- Do you think Oden can develop into a great post scorer? Because I don't think there's one on your roster atm. Also do you think there's enough scoring coming off your bench?
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:15:49 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Roster/Depth Chart
PG – Kidd, Fisher, Dixon
SG – Maggette, Pierce, Peterson, Carroll, Dixon
SF – Pierce, Maggette, Peterson, Carroll, Balkman
PF – West, Gooden, Rose, White
C – Okur, Przybilla, Rose, Collins

PG – Jason Kidd
SG – Corey Maggette
SF – Paul Pierce
PF – David West
C – Mehmet Okur
6 – Drew Gooden
7 – Derek Fisher
8 – Morris Peterson
9 – Joel Przybilla
10 – Matt Carroll
11 – Juan Dixon
12 – Malik Rose
I – Renaldo Balkman
I – Jarron Collins
I – DJ White

Top Offensive options
1.   Pierce (and he takes the last shot).
2.   West
3.   Maggette
4.   Okur

Drafting Philosophy:

Originally I was given the 5th pick in the draft, and I was content to draft there and wasn’t really looking to trade.  Then Steve Weinman offered me a deal I couldn’t pass up (his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, for my 1st and 6th).  With the 5th pick I was planning a win now team, but moving down in the 1st after my trade with Steve I was going to build my team based on who was available and let the players available dictate how I drafted since I had no idea in the draft would play out.  Once I got Pierce and David West with my first 2 picks I decided to go for a win now approach and this was cemented when I drafted Jason Kidd with my 3rd pick.  For my first 8 picks I felt like I drafted the best player available which also conveniently filled a need.  Because of this I didn’t have to make any other trades.  My team is old, no doubt about it, and I would have liked to get some younger players, but I felt with a win now approach, the younger players who I would have liked to draft were picked much higher than I valued them. 

Stats:
It’s hard to point to stats, since obviously they are going to change with just about every player in the league switching teams.  Some stats I think will stay somewhat consistent though are 3p% and FT%.  Based on last years real NBA stats, and based on what my players did last year this is where my team would have ranked:

3 point %
1  Phoenix   0.393
    Fantasy Nets   0.392
2  Toronto   0.392
3  New Orleans   0.389
4  Orlando   0.386
5  Boston   0.381

FT %
1  Dallas       0.814
2  Toronto      0.812
3  Sacramento   0.798
   Fantasy Nets   0.796
4  Phoenix   0.783
5  Washington   0.782
8  Boston   0.771

This will make my team very hard to beat.
4 of my 5 starters averaged 38% or better from 3 last year, 8 players total were better than 38% (Pierce 39%, Kidd 38%, Okur 39%, Maggette 38%, Fisher 41%, Peterson 39%, Carroll 44%, Dixon 42%)
5 of my 5 starters averaged 80% or better from the FT line, 8 players total were better than 80% (Pierce 84%, West 85%, Kidd 82%, Okur 80%, Maggette 81%, Fisher 88%, Carroll 80%, Dixon 81%)

We will be able to spread the floor, and you won’t be able to foul us.  I have multiple players who can create for themselves, plus Kidd who can create for anybody.  How do you stop that?

The most important stat is winning (regular season wins are from last year)
Pierce – 66 wins, NBA Champs, 1 Finals appearance, 1 ring
West – 56 wins, best road record
Okur – 54 wins, best home record, 1 Finals appearance, 1 ring
Kidd – 2 Finals appearances
Gooden – 1 Finals appearance
Fisher – 57 wins, 5 Finals appearances, 3 rings
Rose – 2 Finals appearances, 2 rings
Peterson, 56 wins, best road record
Collins – 54 wins, best home record
Dixon – 1 NCAA ring

The majority of my players have a proven track record of success.  Tons of championship experience, tons of playoff experience.  12 Finals appearances, 7 NBA rings (and 1 NCAA ring).  6 Different players have been to the Finals, 4 different players have won rings.

Keys to success:
Veteran players who know how to win, and who have won.
Great Offense, my players can score, you can’t double off of any of my starters, several players can shoot the 3 allowing for great floor spacing, and my players can hit free throws.  Too much fire power may be my only offensive weakness (and that’s a weakness I can live with).
Depth – my top 9 players were all primarily starters last year.  I could lose any starter and still be a playoff team, I really think I could lose any 2 starters and still be a playoff team.  Of my main rotation guys - Okur, Maggette, Peterson, Fisher, and Przybilla all have experience coming off the bench too. 

Areas of concern
Defense – none of my players are known as great defensive players (except Balkman).  While none of my players are really known as great defenders, I feel they are all capable defenders, and most can rise to the challenge (we all saw Pierce with the ability to shut down Kobe in the Finals).  While my individual players might not be the best on the floor none of them are going to get destroyed either.  Kidd still has size over all the other PGs, Pierce and Maggette can keep up with the Lebron’s and Kobe’s, West can hold is own with any of the elite PF’s.  And Okur can manage against Dwight Howard and Yao (especially when Okur pulls them out to the 3 point line!).  My players might now win the individual matchups every night, but I don’t feel there will be one night when they will be manhandled either.  There’s no player in the league my guys can’t reasonably handle.

Too much offense, how do you keep everyone happy?  Veterans seem to be much more capable of sharing, and taking lesser roles than young players, and I have a team full of veterans that know they have the chance to be something special.  Pierce took a lesser role last year.  Okur was the 3rd or 4th option on his 54 win team, and West was the 2nd or 3rd option on his 56 win team. Maggette came off the bench for the Clippers playoff run in ’06 and was willing to come of the bench in the real world this upcoming year for the Spurs and Celtics.  And I have Kidd, we saw what he’s done with Team USA and how he can keep everyone happy and he doesn’t need to score.  Fisher came off the bench and played with some huge egos in LA ’04.  Also winning makes everyone happy, and we plan on winning a lot.

For the regular season I plan on playing a lot of players, but will tighten up to a 9 man rotation for the playoffs.  We hope to keep the starters at or under 32 minutes per game during the regular season.  This will keep the veterans fresh for the playoffs and allow almost everyone to get more minutes.
We’ll activate Collins for games when we we’re facing teams with top tier centers, we’ll activate Balkman for games when facing a top notch perimeter player and if we just need more toughness.  Dixon, Carroll, and Rose may spend some time on the inactive list too, depending on performance, matchups, and everyone else’s health.

We may experiment bringing Maggette off the bench.  This will bring more firepower to the bench, and allow Maggette and the rest of the remaining starters more shots.  If we were to do this we would still plan on playing Maggette at the end of games though.  When we go to a 9 man rotation, either Maggette or Pierce will probably allows be on the floor.  Bringing Maggette off the bench may not be necessary though as Gooden, Peterson, and Dixon are all able to provide scoring off the bench.

We feel we can go small or big, but will force teams to matchup with us, instead of matching up to them.

Outlook
We see a 2 year window for a championship.  After that we don’t plan on Kidd being able to contribute at a high level.  But located in Brooklyn, with Jay-Z as an owner, we count on landing some big free agents in 2010.  I won’t say any names for tampering reasons, let’s just say we have our eye on Lebron J., wait that’s too obvious, let’s call him L. James, ya that will work.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 07:23:01 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
You mentioned Okur can deal with the like of Yao and Dwight...I see your reasoning on your offensive end, but on your defensive end, how can your team deal with them? (I know they are players that can't really be stopped, but do you think your team lacks size up front to slow them down?)
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 07:35:02 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
New Jersey - I see you as the favorites for the title - although I reserve the right to change my mind once pressers are done - but I have a concern for you defensively. Luckily - again I reserve the right to change my mind once pressers are done - I don't think there's a great defensive team in this draft that's capable of beating great offense.

Other than on the defensive end, I don't really see your team with that many issues to address. That doesn't mean it's flawless, but as I said, you're the favorite right now.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 09:15:16 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Boston: beyond Oden and Harris who do you see as being defensively proficient in the NBA? Barbosa is fast but small, Italian guy 1 is unproven, and Argentinian guy is average. Where's the D?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 09:29:40 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Note:

I start grad school tomorrow so I won't be around in the afternoon to answer questions.  I'll make every attempt to get back on in the evening to address any of your questions.

-Dons

Don -- Any concerns that Grad School will get in the way of GM'ing the world champion Boston Celtics?  What with the papers and the long nights in the library.... Any potential for missed trades/scouting?

;D good luck on the first day!
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 09:49:07 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Note:

-Dons

Grad school, eh?  Enjoy your 2(+?) years of poverty.  I just got out - where are you going and what are you getting?
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 10:21:27 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Boston - Clearly this is a team built for the future, so I'll ask the obvious question: How do you think you'll fair in the Finals against Either Las Vegas or Portland?

Wow, already looking way ahead, huh?  Boston is eagerly looking forward to the day it returns to the Finals and would be more than happy to renew its rivalry with the Lakers or its personal rivalry with the GM of the Blazers.

Boston- Do you think Oden can develop into a great post scorer? Because I don't think there's one on your roster atm. Also do you think there's enough scoring coming off your bench?

I do.  I don't think the injury from last year will hinder his performance in the long run.  I think he's an excellent scorer down low and he has some incredible strength to work with in the post.  I think you can consider Scola a post player also.  Maybe not in the traditional sense but he is extremely aggressive in the paint and attacks the rim.  Plus, he can hit those short to mid range jumpers and draw his defender outside.  Opens things up for Oden.  Off the bench, I'd like to see Bargnani become more of an inside threat rather than hanging outside for those jumpers.  He certainly has the size.  That might be wishful thinking. Obviously, my team is more perimeter oriented off the bench, though. 

In regards to the bench question, I do think I can get enough scoring from Bargnani and Korver.  My hope is that Petro and Lasme can polish their offensive games and also be contributors down low.  Somewhere in the 8-10 ppg range.  Not totally out of the question considering their youth.

Boston: beyond Oden and Harris who do you see as being defensively proficient in the NBA? Barbosa is fast but small, Italian guy 1 is unproven, and Argentinian guy is average. Where's the D?

The supplementary D is found on the post off my bench.  Its more focused on interior D rather than perimeter, though.  Lasme and Petro can both defend down low and make life difficult for opposing players in the post. Lasme is a terrific shot blocker and definitely makes his living on the defensive end.  Petro is just a beast, sizewise.  His wingspan alone is impressive. I do admit that I have defensive concerns in my bench backcourt, though.  Both Diener and Korver leave some to be desired on the defensive end. 

Note:

-Dons

Don -- Any concerns that Grad School will get in the way of GM'ing the world champion Boston Celtics?  What with the papers and the long nights in the library.... Any potential for missed trades/scouting?

;D good luck on the first day!

Grad school will keep me busy.  That's why I've decided to move the team offices from Causeway Street to my apartment in nearby Somerville.  They'll be plenty of late nights and multi-tasking but I think I'll be up to it.  ;)

Note:

-Dons

Grad school, eh?  Enjoy your 2(+?) years of poverty.  I just got out - where are you going and what are you getting?

Bentley.  Getting a Masters in Taxation with a certification in Financial Planning.  Going full-time so I'll actually be done in one year.  Poverty is going to blow, though.   ;)

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 11:55:40 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
You mentioned Okur can deal with the like of Yao and Dwight...I see your reasoning on your offensive end, but on your defensive end, how can your team deal with them? (I know they are players that can't really be stopped, but do you think your team lacks size up front to slow them down?)

While Okur isn't the most physical center, he has faired well against both Howard and Yao.
From basketballreference.com (thanks for the link Roy), in 13 regular season games against Yao and 7 regular season games against Howard this is how Okur has stacked up over his career:

Okur        20.4ppg   8.7rpg   1.7apg   0.3spg   1.3bpg   1.9turnovers   3.6 fouls
Howard  19.6ppg   13.1rpg  1.4apg  0.3spg   1.6bpg   3.6turnovers   3.0 fouls

Okur        15.8ppg   7.2rpg   1.2apg   0.8spg   0.5bpg   1.8turnovers   3.0 fouls
Yao         15.5ppg   7.5rpg   0.8apg   0.3spg   2.2bpg   3.0turnovers   3.2 fouls

Based on these numbers I'm not scared of either Howard or Yao as Okur has stacked up pretty well against both of them.  For more physicalness, we also have Przybilla off the bench, as well as Malik Rose.  Jarron Collins is a 7 footer who also gives us 6 more fouls against Howard.  If Howard was having a big game agaisnt us, we could definitely go to the Hack-a-Howard strategy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:27:56 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Eh...  I don't have as much time to dedicate to the press conferences today as I'd like.  So, quickly:

Boston:

1) Any concern that much of your talent isn't proven?

2) Where does your leadership come from?

3) Any worries about building around a talented but potentially injury prone center?

4) Bargnani had a terrible second season.  Are you worried?

5) Other than Oden, where does the defense come from?

6) Any worries that Barbosa doesn't have a true position?  What about the concerns out of Phoenix that he refuses to play defense and has a poor work ethic?

Philly:

1) Any chemistry concerns?  Haywood has fought teammates, Artest is a nut, Josh Smith is a jerk and has had issues with his coaches, and Alston likes to knife-fight in public.

2) Is Mike Miller a full-time shooting guard?  Who spells him off the bench?

3) Don't Artest/Nocioni/Battier all get in each other's way?  How are the minutes divided?

New Jersey:

1) Are you worried about the fact that Jason Kidd is 73 years old?

2) Do Maggette and Pierce get in each other's way?

3) Will Maggette handle being a third / fourth option?

4) How do you handle more athletic teams (Portland being one of them?)  Can you play a transition game against the elite running teams?