Author Topic: Hypothetical Trade Question  (Read 5050 times)

Hypothetical Trade Question
« on: August 31, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Just a thought..I know many won't go for this.  And it doesn't mean that I don't like Kendrick Perkins, but would you trade Perk to Cleveland for Ben Wallace? I read that the Cavs are looking for another big man and after being a non-factor in the playoffs, I have to think the Cavs aren't very high on Wallace right now.

It may seem like Wallace is done, but I think a tandem of Ray Allen, KG, Paul Pierce and Ben Wallace could be scary good.

Just a thought..

Re: Hypothetical Trade Question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:42:19 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Just a thought..I know many won't go for this.  And it doesn't mean that I don't like Kendrick Perkins, but would you trade Perk to Cleveland for Ben Wallace? I read that the Cavs are looking for another big man and after being a non-factor in the playoffs, I have to think the Cavs aren't very high on Wallace right now.

It may seem like Wallace is done, but I think a tandem of Ray Allen, KG, Paul Pierce and Ben Wallace could be scary good.

Just a thought..

Not in 1 million years -- and i'm not sure that CLE could sweeten the deal (i'd need Delonte, Hickson and a pick at the very, very least) enough esp. given the difference in how much Perk and Wallace make.

Perk is better than Wallace at this point in their careers (Perk is 10 years younger):

Wallace outrebounds per36 10-to-9 (which comes at the offensive end, Perk is the better def rebounder), and outsteals Perk (1.4 to 0.6)

but

Per36, Perk outscores (10 to 6), outblocks (2.1 to 1.9), and outshoots Wallace.

Ben Wallace will only get worse at this point in his career b/c he's less able to overwhelm other players physically, whereas Perk will only get better as he learns the game.

No thanks.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No way.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I don't have time to look at the #s, but I wonder what the fouls per 36 are... I know Perk has struggled in that area... the only way I'd be onboard with Ben Wallace would be if he were bought out at some point and came here for the vet min. He's getting a bit old and has shown signs of slowing down over the last 2-3 years
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 01:02:08 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
The only reason I would have to consider it at the least is because Ben Wallace shows up every game.  You know what you are getting from Ben every game.  There were many games in the season and several games in the playoffs when Perk just didn't show up (i.e. the whole Cleveland series) and we needed to rely on PJ, Powe, and Baby.  I can't confidently say that I know what I'm getting from Perk when I head into the Garden.  

You bring up the per 36 stats, but the reason those look good is because while Perk can be productive when on the court, he can't stay on the court because he gets in foul trouble way easier than Wallace.  Its not coaching or substitution patterns that allow Ben to play more minutes than Perk, its the difference in their tendencies to get in foul trouble.

It should be noted that it could never possibly happen though because of the salaries
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
At best Wallace is 50-60% of his former self at this point. Perk is getting better. Right now Perk is overall the better player. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Especially when you look how much they each make!

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 01:17:22 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Wallace is terrible. Did you watch him last year? Its not 2004 anymore.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
No chance.

But I gave gpap a tommy point anyway because this may be the first trade proposal in Celticsblog history that doesn't include Scalabrine.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 02:09:22 PM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39

Just a thought..

Not in 1 million years -- and i'm not sure that CLE could sweeten the deal (i'd need Delonte, Hickson and a pick at the very, very least) enough esp. given the difference in how much Perk and Wallace make.

Perk is better than Wallace at this point in their careers (Perk is 10 years younger):

Wallace outrebounds per36 10-to-9 (which comes at the offensive end, Perk is the better def rebounder), and outsteals Perk (1.4 to 0.6)

but

Per36, Perk outscores (10 to 6), outblocks (2.1 to 1.9), and outshoots Wallace.

Ben Wallace will only get worse at this point in his career b/c he's less able to overwhelm other players physically, whereas Perk will only get better as he learns the game.

No thanks.

This is a perfect explanation of feelings. TP.

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 08:28:50 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It is a shame, but as others have echoed, Wallace's skills have decline big time.  It really seems like the Cavs play him now to justify his salary and on what he did in the past than what he actually accomplishes on the floor. 

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 08:54:35 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I forget where I read this, but the Cavs are looking to play Wallace at the PF. It cant be b/c of his nice shooting touch(complete sarcasm) but obviously b/c he's aging and the parts of the game he once dominated as, he's become just good at or even average. In the past we all could overlook that he's only 6'9, and he's always had small hands for a big guy. His free throw percentage is horrendous, so my vote would be to Perkins all day. I think Wallace still has a few years or so left to play, but he'll never be the Big Ben like he was in Detroit. If the possibility next year or later came up to have him play the role of PJ or Mutombo, then I'd take him. Either way, the Celts and Ainge have lucked out in finding gems in Rondo and Perk for young players well talented enough to be great at their positions, so we need to stick with them. Not to mention that even though Perk is better than Wallace, the Cavs would never donate Ben plus anyone to help us out, especially Delonte West and JJ Hickson whom they have high hopes of.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 07:06:50 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
This trade is unrealistic because of the mismatch of salaries. Bringing in Wallace would need to involve the departure of Allen, Pierce or KG...

Unless the Cavs Waived Wallace and he signed here for a Vet min.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:04:45 AM by Jsaad »

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 07:49:32 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The only reason I would have to consider it at the least is because Ben Wallace shows up every game.  You know what you are getting from Ben every game.  There were many games in the season and several games in the playoffs when Perk just didn't show up (i.e. the whole Cleveland series) and we needed to rely on PJ, Powe, and Baby.

It really kills me when people write things like this. Perk played really well vs Cleveland. He did a terrific job helping to contain LeBron.

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 01:13:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Bad on so many levels.

Perkins is a point of attack defender.

Wallace is a weakside defender who is undersized at the point of attack.

Perkins is longer and can bother Big Z.

Wallace lost the athleticism that allowed him to do that.