Poll

What is the greatest ever TV show (non-animated)?

Cheers
Frasier
Heroes
House
LOST
M*A*S*H
Scrubs
Seinfeld
The Sopranos
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Twin Peaks
The West Wing
The Wire
The X-Files
Other
All in the Family
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
The Cosby Show
Roseanne

Author Topic: Best Ever TV show  (Read 36695 times)

Re: Best Ever TV show
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2008, 08:49:44 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
come on people, you don't know what you're missing!

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2008, 11:06:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Lost is my favorite show going today, but put me down for Married With Children.

Al Bundy is my hero!

I was previously so proud of this blog for no mention of Married with Children.  I have never seen understood how anyone could elect to watch more than one episode of Married....  In my list of long-running bad TV shows, Married is in the top 3 along with Three's Company and Alice.  Watch one episode, you've seen every show -- all stereotypic comic themes repeated over and over and over.  But, again, no offense -- it's probably me as these shows all gathered quite regular followings.

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2008, 12:10:11 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I was previously so proud of this blog for no mention of Married with Children.  I have never seen understood how anyone could elect to watch more than one episode of Married....  In my list of long-running bad TV shows, Married is in the top 3 along with Three's Company and Alice.  Watch one episode, you've seen every show -- all stereotypic comic themes repeated over and over and over.  But, again, no offense -- it's probably me as these shows all gathered quite regular followings

Come on man, Married With Children is the precursor to those South Park comedy and maybe Simpsons (not sure which came first, but they def fed each other off with the messed up American family).  It wasn't intellectually stimulating, or there wasn't socially or any type of substance to it, but it stuck to its original purpose.  Going completely away from family sitcoms and just making fun of each other and everything there is.  There was some true funny stuff in the show.  Like the one where Al is kidnapped by a bunch of fat chicks.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2008, 01:29:47 AM »

Offline Kiwicelt

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I voted other;

I'm quite surprised that no one has offered up..."Wiseguy". Mid 80's crime drama. Vinnie Teranova, undercover agent. Sonny Steelgrave, mob boss and pyschopath. Mel and Susan Profit, kinky brother/sister crime family. "Only the toes knows..."

I thought this was one of the first US shows that had season long story arcs. Really well done.

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2008, 02:20:33 AM »

Offline carlherrera

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Freaks and Geeks was an awesome show. Too bad it only lasted one season but its brilliance is felt today with all the Judd Apatow movies - 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Pineapple Express, etc....

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2008, 04:46:51 AM »

Offline phantom

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Upright Citizens Brigade!
The Wire in 3rd place?  What???

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2008, 07:21:29 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Just a quick mention of Prison Break, which returns tonight. Any fans of that on here? Not sure if it belongs in this discussion (although Series 1 was one of the best series of any show ever), but it is a great show.

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2008, 08:51:28 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I was previously so proud of this blog for no mention of Married with Children.  I have never seen understood how anyone could elect to watch more than one episode of Married....  In my list of long-running bad TV shows, Married is in the top 3 along with Three's Company and Alice.  Watch one episode, you've seen every show -- all stereotypic comic themes repeated over and over and over.  But, again, no offense -- it's probably me as these shows all gathered quite regular followings

Come on man, Married With Children is the precursor to those South Park comedy and maybe Simpsons (not sure which came first, but they def fed each other off with the messed up American family).  It wasn't intellectually stimulating, or there wasn't socially or any type of substance to it, but it stuck to its original purpose.  Going completely away from family sitcoms and just making fun of each other and everything there is.  There was some true funny stuff in the show.  Like the one where Al is kidnapped by a bunch of fat chicks.

If there is a case to be made for Married with Children, you have certainly made it.  To give you an idea of how far off I am, I have never seen a whole episode of South Park or Simpsons (although given the snippets I've seen, I do understand the appeal and humor of these shows). 

The 'humor' of Married with Children seemed (note: I rarely saw a full show, mostly 5 minute clips while browsing thru the years) to be the same stale sexual innuendo, edgy naughty chidren, same jokes set in wackier and wackier situations.  The snippets of South Park and Simpsons I've seen at least make me think that the writing is 'clever' -- never thought 'clever' when watching Married. 

If you watch the (IMO) quality comedies (or dramas), you really see character develpment (and often ongoing plot development) -- with characters that grow and stories that continue and expand. Great chows have characters who do not simply become charicatures of themselves (read: Fonzi), but really develop, change, expand rather than just reflect only the most stereotypic aspect of their character (see character and story development in shows like Taxi, Seinfeld, All in Family, LOST, Hill Street, Office, Sopranos, and one VERY overlooked, but superior show called "I'll Fly Away").   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:20:56 AM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2008, 09:17:06 AM »

Offline bolvbball

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Law & Order(the early yrs.) 

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2008, 09:28:29 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
SNL was mentioned, but my favorite sketch comedy show of all time was MTV's the State, very short lived, launched careers for a ton of people, though mostly at the b to c level list - brilliant stuff
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2008, 10:07:59 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Speaking of Married With Children, they made a Russian version of it and it is the top show in that country. They even hired some of the original writers to work on the Russian show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZKBIvqAVg

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2008, 01:43:54 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i love all star trek series, friends, scrubs and only fools and horses(the funnyest)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2008, 01:55:20 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
24 with only 1 vote? I know the last series was bad but come on...

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2008, 01:59:51 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Hill Street Blues

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2008, 02:09:23 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan