Poll

What is the greatest ever TV show (non-animated)?

Cheers
Frasier
Heroes
House
LOST
M*A*S*H
Scrubs
Seinfeld
The Sopranos
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Twin Peaks
The West Wing
The Wire
The X-Files
Other
All in the Family
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
The Cosby Show
Roseanne

Author Topic: Best Ever TV show  (Read 36700 times)

Re: Best Ever TV show
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2008, 01:06:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
don't be sleeping on the Cosby Show
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Roseanne and The Cosby Show have been added as they've gotten a few votes. If you voted "Other" for one of these shows, change your vote accordingly.

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2008, 01:21:11 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Surprised that Seinfeld has the most votes. I really never found that show all that great. I've been saying for a while that I need to start watching The Wire though, I'll have to get on that pretty soon by the looks of things.

Also, come on folks, Twin Peaks doesn't do it for you? That show is simply legendary. I can't be the only TP fan on the site!

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2008, 02:18:41 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
The thing that I think makes the Fresh Prince great is that so many people watched it, from all different backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, and colors.  It doesn't matter if they like slapstick, low-brow humor, or more intelligent, sophisticated humor.

There have been multiple occassions when I've been hanging out with a bunch of people from all different walks of life, with completely different interests, and somebody is flipping through the channels but no one can agree on what to watch.  Then Fresh Prince comes on and everyone is happy.

I don't know about the over 30 crowd, but I think this definitely true for the under 30 crowd.

I know people who don't like shows like Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier, 24, X-Files, whatever.  I don't know anybody who doesn't like Fresh Prince.

If you have different types of friends, test it out.  Ask a friend from an upper class walk of life if they like Fresh Prince, then ask a lower class friend.  Ask a white person, ask a black person, ask a hispanic person.  Ask a person who doesn't really watch sitcoms, ask a person who only watches dramas or reality programs.  Ask a person who likes hip hop, ask a person who likes rock.  Ask someone with a dry sense of humor, ask someone with a slap stick sense of humor.  I'm telling you almost everyone likes Fresh Prince.  Now if you asked this same wide range of people about any other show on the list, I don't think any show will be as universally liked as Fresh Prince.  This doesn't necessarily make Fresh Prince the best, but I think it definitely says something about the show.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 02:34:43 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
The thing that I think makes the Fresh Prince great is that so many people watched it, from all different backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, and colors.  It doesn't matter if they like slapstick, low-brow humor, or more intelligent, sophisticated humor.

There have been multiple occassions when I've been hanging out with a bunch of people from all different walks of life, with completelt different interests, and somebody is flipping through the channels but no one can agree on what to watch.  Then Fresh Prince comes on and everyone is happy.

I don't know about the over 30 crowd, but I think this definitely true for the under 30 crowd.

I know people who don't like shows like Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier, 24, X-Files, whatever.  I don't know anybody who doesn't like Fresh Prince.

If you have different types of friends, test it out.  Ask a friend from an upper class walk of life if they like Fresh Prince, then ask a lower class friend.  Ask a white person, ask a black person, ask a hispanic person.  Ask a person who doesn't really watch sitcoms, ask a person who only watches dramas or reality programs.  Ask a person who likes hip hop, ask a person who likes rock.  Ask someone with a dry sense of humor, ask someone with a slap stick sense of humor.  I'm telling you almost everyone likes Fresh Prince.  Now if you asked this same wide range of people about any other show on the list, I don't think any show will be as universally liked as Fresh Prince.  This doesn't necessarily make Fresh Prince the best, but I think it definitely says something about the show.

I definitely agree, I don't know anyone who doesn't like The Fresh Prince. TP.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2008, 02:38:33 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

There have been multiple occassions when I've been hanging out with a bunch of people from all different walks of life, with completelt different interests, and somebody is flipping through the channels but no one can agree on what to watch.  Then Fresh Prince comes on and everyone is happy.

I definitely agree, I don't know anyone who doesn't like The Fresh Prince. TP.

Or Will Smith for that matter.

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2008, 03:02:24 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
 That 70's show hands down.

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2008, 03:22:33 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
1. Heroes
2. Dexter
3. Enourage
4. House

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
MST3K
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2008, 03:33:48 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Spenser: For Hire
Boston Legal
Picket Fences
Law and Order
Everybody Loves Raymond

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2008, 03:57:43 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
It's the wire, hands down. The show is like our generation's version of ****ens novel. It is compelling because it gives you an inside view of a world that is often glamorized or ignored without being preachy. Each of the 5 seasons explores interesting plot lines from the homicide department, the inner city drug world, the newspaper industry, public schools, drug rehab, and politics. The characters in this show seem real and they use a lot of real life people in some of the roles, not actors. It is an incredible story and it sucks you in with the amazing character of Det. McNulty, the most fascinating TV cop I've ever seen. But even the "bad" guys are compelling and you find yourself caring about what happens to them. Each episode is like a great independent movie and I discovered this on DVD (which is where it resides now that the series is over) and watched the 1st season in 2 days, I just couldn't stop. It is addictive.
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2008, 04:00:59 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I also have to recommend Dexter...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2008, 07:16:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Heroes? Dexter? House??

Come on this is the best tv show of all time, not "A really interesting TV show I watched the other day"...

PS Dexter is awesome, I just renewed my showtime subscript. House is annoying and Heroes has worse acting than an 80's ****o.

"Im here to clean the pool"
"But I don't have a pool!"
"Save the cheerleader, save the pool."

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2008, 07:55:26 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Hill Street Blues was not only well-written and well-acted, it created the recipe for a number of ensemble-cast quality shows to follow like St. Elsewhere, LA Law, NYPD, ER.  I would say shows like LOST, Shield, 24 also have their roots in Hill Street.  I haven't seen HSB in years, and am not sure how it's held up, but in the 80's it was a must-see -- worth arranging my evening plans around on Thursdays.

Other great pioneering shows (shows that may have connected to an exisitng genre, but taken to a new level -- influencing others)-- which I see as a hallmark of greatness:
All in the Family
Taxi
Honeymooners
SNL
60 Minutes

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
Lost is my favorite show going today, but put me down for Married With Children.

Al Bundy is my hero!
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."