Author Topic: Manu to get surgury  (Read 2957 times)

Manu to get surgury
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3559440

San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili says he needs arthroscopic surgery to repair a ligament injury in his left heel.

The part the Spurs fans have to hate.

"It's the same as it was two months ago, when they did the first exam," he said. "Now, the thing is, it's not better either, and it seems like the only way to repair it completely is arthroscopic surgery."

Ginobili hurt the ankle during the NBA playoffs, and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had urged his player not to compete in the Olympics unless the injury improved.

Re: Manu to get surgury
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:17:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
So can we now lump Manu in with Lebron and Kobe for hoopsters who care more about an Olympic Medal than they do and NBA Championship?
Yup

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 12:21:15 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Manu has two months until the season starts. Who cares about training camp? He's been in the same system for the last 5 years!  :)

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
spurs are toast. i don't know where duncan and parker can lead them when they have a bench with the combined age of a million years old.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 12:58:49 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm sure the Spurs aren't happy about the situation but Manu says that he has no regrets.  There's a risk playing for your country in the Olympics but for many, its worth the risk.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 01:38:49 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I can understand why a foreign player in particular would value an olympic medal for his home country over say an NBA title for a random city in a random state in  a random country.

That is part if the risk of building around foreign players.  :(

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I can understand why a foreign player in particular would value an olympic medal for his home country over say an NBA title for a random city in a random state in  a random country.

That is part if the risk of building around foreign players.  :(

yea i agree. what emotional attachment does he have for city of san antonio? not much compared to for his country.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 02:54:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Got an interesting question, I'm sure Roy can help.

Let's say that it comes out that because he played in the Olympics he actually made the situation worse and now will miss the whole season.

Does San Antonio have grounds to not pay him because he didn't heed their word and get surgery right away and then went out and made the situation worse by playing and injuring himself further while doing an activity that the team urged him not to do?

My guess is no, but didn't the Yankees get out of Aaron Boone's contract for injuring himself in a non baseball related activity? If I remember right the activity in question was written in the contract and hence, the contract was voided. But I wonder if NBA contracts have anything about just such occassions?

Would be interesting if teams start to make playing in non team related competitions a contractual issue. I mean, imagine if LeBron or Wade or Kobe seriously injured themselves ala Tony Allen or Jorge Carbajosa or Shaun Livingston while playing in the Olympics or World Championships. What would their teams do? Yeah, insurance would pick up the tab but playoff chances and team revenues could take a gigantic hit because of just such an injury.