Author Topic: Does 0-4 preseason mean no SuperBowl win?  (Read 5996 times)

Does 0-4 preseason mean no SuperBowl win?
« on: August 29, 2008, 09:42:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Patriots lost once again last night during the preseason going a perfect 0-4. Their run defense this preseason has looked horrible and we now no that this team could possibly go winless if one Tom Brady ever gets hurt seriously.

But of course, the preseason means nothing, right? Or does it.

The boys at twominutewarning.com did an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.twominutewarning.com/preseason-matter.htm

I'm not sure it means much of anything, especially to this particular team. But it is interesting to note that the last team to go undefeated during the preseason and yet made the SuperBowl was the Giants back in 2000 when they got smoked by the Ravens.

I've tried googleing some info on if a SuperBowl winner ever went winless in the preseason but couldn't find much and really don't have a ton of time to do the research.

I will say though that regarding the Pats, I still like their chances of going back to the SuperBowl but their defense needs to be tightened up a bit and they desperately need Tom Brady on offense.

But given that Belichick doesn't game plan for the preseason and that he runs extremely vanilla offensive and defensive sets during the preseason, there's probably very little to read into this preseason.

I hope.

Re: Does 0-4 preseason mean no SuperBowl win?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Last year's Giants went 1-3.  The year before, the Colts went 1-3.  In 2004, the Pats went 1-3.  All three teams won the Super Bowl.

In 2000, the Giants went 0-4, and made it to the Super Bowl (where they got pasted by the Ravens.)

I don't think it matters much at all.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:18:34 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Pre-season is pre-season, no matter the sport.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:31 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
The only thing an 0-4 preseason means is that the team is really 0-0 going into week 1.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:55 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i dont hold much stock in preseason at all.  the pats will be a good team this year, but not great.  i think they have a shot at the superbowl if everyone is healthy.  if brady goes down, we are screwed!

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:00:14 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I'm pretty sure that the Patriots are undefeated in 2008 preseason games where Tom Brady starts.  That should tell you all you need to know about this preseason.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 10:00:23 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
no, thats not the lesson from the scrimmiges.

the lesson is no tom brady= no superbowl.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 10:00:37 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The record does not matter.

The way the defense is what should be a worry.  But there is a good chance it could kick on when Brady is back at the top of the offense.  The offense then can sets things up for the defense.  

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 10:13:44 AM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
...and yet, the 0-4 record aside, it's the manner in which we "earned" that record that says another.  Our line (offensive and defensive) looked pitiful, our linebackers were frequently out of position, our defensive backs looked over-matched and tackling...in general...was dreadful.  This may be preseason but I expected more from both the first unit and the new guys. As for our back-up quarterbacks, according to our coach, they saw more action in preseason than they saw in practice. Can it be a wonder that we lost all our games?

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 10:41:59 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
...and yet, the 0-4 record aside, it's the manner in which we "earned" that record that says another.  Our line (offensive and defensive) looked pitiful, our linebackers were frequently out of position, our defensive backs looked over-matched and tackling...in general...was dreadful.  This may be preseason but I expected more from both the first unit and the new guys. As for our back-up quarterbacks, according to our coach, they saw more action in preseason than they saw in practice. Can it be a wonder that we lost all our games?

1. We didnt see the 1st unit o-line in the preseason at all, another reason they probley didn't throw brady out there behind guys they signed last week while they rest. 2 of them are out, and the other 3 got rotated in for a few plays at best. They had 13 o linemen at one point, and they needed to see them all. not exactly a great strategy for consistancy.

2. on defense, yea, im with you here, but again, much of the first string defense didn't play/ played a series per game (harrision, hobbs, merriweather, seymore, warren are all in this category) and  mayo looked good.

3. color me unconcerned that our back up QB's suck. unless you have a QB contraversy, all back up QB's suck. If any contending team in the NFL's qb goes down, barring a once in a lietime bradyesq emergance, your cooked.

anyone remeber 2003 and 2001? you know, when we went 1-3 and looked gawd awful? i think those seasons ended ok.

i'll be concerned if they struggle the first week with the starters in, not before. I'm not exactly ready to write  off the colts, and they have looked bad so far as well. probley got something to do with them sitting #18.

EDITED the mayo's: oj mayo at MLB? wow, my brain is super anxious for b-ball to start.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 02:02:17 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 01:55:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
While I agree that preseason is rather meaningless, I find it strange that I haven't found that a SuperBowl winning team ever went winless in the preseason.

Also, while preseason records mean nothing I was concerned about what I saw this preseason when our starters were out there versus other teams starters. It wasn't pretty.

But this is ma veteran team and Belichick's teams are always getting better as the year goes on so it's probably much ado about nothing.

Still curious about that winless preseason and winning the SuperBow thing.

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 02:21:47 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
With Brady playing I suspect we'll see some wins, but the Pats are now on the start of a somewhat similar trend to what we've seen from the Yankees in baseball.  Championships, followed by prolonged excellence but no titles.  This won't last in long in football as it has in baseball for the Yankees I'd think.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 02:47:12 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
defenitly if Cassel is the starting quarterback. but, lucky for us, he is not. And ever further he's not even the 2nd string anymore after all this.