Author Topic: Champions League 2008-09 Thread  (Read 103077 times)

Re: Champions League 2008-09 Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2009, 08:16:38 AM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I'm rooting for Liverpool...I like Torres and Gerrard...but I'm no expert.

Don't like ManU as they seem to be like the NY Yankees...grab every high-priced player.

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Don't like ManU as they seem to be like the NY Yankees...grab every high-priced player.

Man Utd is smart about who they pay, and actually win titles.  Thus, they're more like the Red Sox.  ;)

The Yankees are Chelsea.  They even wear roughly the same colors.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Roy`s right. MU is a very rich club and of course pays much money (and at the same time gives the chance to many youngsters to play unlike every top team). But they don`t try to get hyped players. On the contrary they are smart enough to sell players over their real value.

Chelsea for a couple of seasons was the yankees but i think that real madrid fits better. They try to buy everything even when they don`t have to and massively overpay.

I still can`t believe they payed 40-50mil  euros for Pepe......

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2009, 10:49:48 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
That's how I looked at it when I first started watching European Soccer... Real Madrid = the Yankees. Manchester United = the Red Sox. It was pretty easy for me to decide who to root for. And what do you know, Real Madrid stole Beckham from United a couple years after I started watching which made me get even more into it. It was just like when Johnny Damon signed with the Yankees.

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2009, 11:07:11 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
real madrid were OWNED!!!

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2009, 11:42:41 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I hate Real Madrid, but I hate Liverpool more. Kudos though, great performance from the Scousers (almost as good as Bayern - wow).

As for tonight, I'm really nervous. I think it's going to be a score-draw at Old Trafford which puts us out.

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
As for tonight, I'm really nervous. I think it's going to be a score-draw at Old Trafford which puts us out.

Boo!!!  Down with Maestro!!

2-0, Utd.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

2-0, Utd.

If you're right I will give you 10 TP's.

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

2-0, Utd.

If you're right, I will be sad and probably won't be giving anybody any TPs for the rest of the evening.

Maybe we'll meet in the middle somewhere.  2-1, Utd, perhaps.

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

2-0, Utd.

If you're right, I will be sad and probably won't be giving anybody any TPs for the rest of the evening.

I'll tell you what, if we go through, 10 TP's. If we go out, I wont be posting for a while because I will surely be arrested for killing Jose Mourinho, or breaking Ibrahimovic's nose.

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2009, 11:57:45 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

2-0, Utd.

I'll tell you what, if we go through, 10 TP's. If we go out, I wont be posting for a while because I will surely be arrested for killing Jose Mourinho, or breaking Ibrahimovic's nose.

Haha.  Sounds good.  If Utd goes through, I'll give all the previously stated Man Utd fans 10 TPs.

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2009, 12:33:37 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm leaving to the stadium in a couple of hours. Very pessimistic though; we could and should have solved this in the first game in Madrid, where we missed like 5 or 6 easy goals. We've been extremely unlucky at home this season and I foresee a major upset. Anyway, in the Incredible Hulk (a better version of Ronaldo) we trust.

The attempt to present ManUtd as a fiscally responsible club is hilarious. They spend more money in a single player than Porto in all the players we buy in a decade - and yet, we've been the club winning more competitions, internationally or domestically in the last 25 years. If we had 1/10 of the money Ferguson has to spend - heck, we only needed enough money to keep our best players - we'd be perennial Champions League winners. Besides, Man United has a huge debt, they're extremely leveraged. And they're one of the biggest spenders in European football, in spite of living on borrowed money.

Oh, and freaking Sporting.. 1-12..  ;D ;D ;D They're such a shame. Well done Bayern!

I wont be posting for a while because I will surely be arrested for killing Jose Mourinho

What? Mourinho is mortal?  ???  :o

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2009, 12:58:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
The attempt to present ManUtd as a fiscally responsible club is hilarious. They spend more money in a single player than Porto in all the players we buy in a decade - and yet, we've been the club winning more competitions, internationally or domestically in the last 25 years. If we had 1/10 of the money Ferguson has to spend - heck, we only needed enough money to keep our best players - we'd be perennial Champions League winners. Besides, Man United has a huge debt, they're extremely leveraged. And they're one of the biggest spenders in European football, in spite of living on borrowed money.

I'm not sure if you follow American baseball, cord, but that's why I compared ManUtd to the Red Sox.  The Red Sox are the second or third richest team in baseball, and spend a ton of money.  However, they also focus on player development, and are willing to let a player walk away when he prices himself out of their range (i.e., Beckham).

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2009, 01:05:25 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I'm rooting for Liverpool...I like Torres and Gerrard...but I'm no expert.

Real Madrid are the Yankees.

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2009, 01:07:27 PM »

Offline Celtics1990

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 49
Yesterday was a great performance from Liverpool.  Right from the start they controlled the game.  I knew el nino was going to score just by the way he was playing early in the match.  That second goal did not look like a hand ball but it really did not matter.  

Even though I despise ManU, I hope they go through today because then ther is a chance that Liverpool and Man U face each other later.  I just love watching those two teams play each other.

Y.N.W.A
UBUNTU