Author Topic: Champions League 2008-09 Thread  (Read 103088 times)

Re: Champions League 2008-09 Thread
« Reply #330 on: May 27, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
;)

cordobes is talking about Ronaldo's
grammar and reading skills, not yours.
Which look fine to me, btw.

I know, and thanks.
It`s late at night (early in the morning), so my reading comprehension is indeed lacking, atm.^^
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #331 on: May 28, 2009, 02:24:20 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
It was like watching Barcelona - Salamanca.

They completely dominated the game and theydeserved the win.
On the other hand MU lokked like they played a full game the morning of the final. It was the easiest win  in CL final since the Porto-Monaco.

Something we should have mentioned before the game is that in the previous 2 finals MU didn`t play well. We should have seen it coming.

BTW the overrated team reached unbeaten two finals in a row and won the local (very competitive)championship  at the same time. It must be luck.

« Reply #332 on: May 28, 2009, 05:05:58 AM »

Offline cmbvale

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
Apart from the 1st 10 minutes from United, it was a very poor display in the game, and i think Guardiola deserves a ton of credit for he way he placed the players especially in attack.   

Putting Etoo on the right and Messi in the middle, completely unravelled United's defence leaving Ferdinand and Vidic with no one to mark.

With that simple exchange, he created problems for Evra and unsettled the center backs, and even Carrick was unable to free himself because Messi showed up in is area leaving Anderson and Giggs to face Barças 3 midfielders.

Some want to be like Mike, i wanted to be like Ryan.

« Reply #333 on: May 28, 2009, 06:24:25 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Que si,  que somos CAMPEONES!

Efffing awesome!! Barça is the best team in the world. Oh ManU, good effort but yoour team peaked too early!

ditto without the word.
 ;D

mmh... but why the edit? "co*on" it is actually a word accepted by the Real Academia de la Lengua Española.

« Reply #334 on: May 28, 2009, 06:34:37 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
but unfortunately this win is tainted by the terrible officiating that allowed them to qualify.

Tainted? lol  Sure, go on and revise the whole officiating of every match in all competitios ever played in the history of football and you could argue that almost any winner was lucky with one or two refereeing decisions throughout a givgen tournament.

The only "tainting" moments last night came from a certain Portugese winger, Scholes and Vidic with their ugly fouls towards the end of the match.

« Reply #335 on: May 28, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I don`t remember about Vidic but Scholes` was nasty. A red card would be more suitable.

But it wasn`t just two refereeing decisions in the game against Chelsea. Eveybody agrees that Barca looking at the big picture has been the best team this season but don`t kid yourselves. The ref played a huge part in the 2nd game against Chelsea.

« Reply #336 on: May 28, 2009, 07:59:31 AM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
What about Liverpool making it back to the CL Final next year?

I say they can do it if Tevez goes there...to be reunited with Mascherano...WOW!

« Reply #337 on: May 28, 2009, 08:16:13 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12

Yesssssss!!!!! Fantastic end of a fantastic season!.
Just a few comments. It is true that we were helped by the ref against Chelsea but I dont think it was any kind of conspiration against the blues. Just the way things happen from time to time.

From the final, first ten minutes Barça were terrible. They were so nervous that they couldnt do two passes in a row. Fortunately, the first time they did, Etoo scored. After that, Barça realised that they know how to play and the did it. By the way, I read that some Chelsea fans want Etoo... I think it is the best time for Barça to trade him. He is a very good forward but also a bomb waiting to explode. I will trade him for Drogba and some cash in a minute.

Concerning the coachs, at the beginning I didnt like Messi as centre forward (as against Real Madrid and Athletic) because without Alves you gent nothing from that wing. Fortunately, Puyol played really great and give Barcelona many options combining with Iniesta and Xavi (ufff, what a couple) and with the three forwards permanently in motion.
As for Ferguson, I think he made a mistake with the player formerly known as Ryan Giggs. He was really great but he should no longer be in the starting line up of Man Utd. Considering that Silvinho is quite slow at 35, I would have gone for Ronaldo in the right wing and Berbatov or Tévez in the centre.

And just one more thing about the reading skills of some players. Rooney is terrific and I would like to have it in my team any day but as my girlfriend often says, he is the perfect exemple of what Thatcherism meant for English working class. I still remember when he was 18 or 19 and said to the media: yes when I was young I used to go with prostitutes  ;D

« Reply #338 on: May 28, 2009, 08:19:32 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Too early to tell.

Real is going to spend a lot (next week rumours have it they `ll announce Kaka) , Milan will have to rebuild also. Inter will strengthen , Bayern (30 mil for Gomez???) and Juventus will be better. I think it will be tougher next season.

I don`t like Liverpool so i`m biased a little but Rafa won`t have much to spend. On the other hand Tores won`t have so many injuries.

« Reply #339 on: May 28, 2009, 04:11:16 PM »

Offline pbak63

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
And just one more thing about the reading skills of some players. Rooney is terrific and I would like to have it in my team any day but as my girlfriend often says, he is the perfect exemple of what Thatcherism meant for English working class. I still remember when he was 18 or 19 and said to the media: yes when I was young I used to go with prostitutes.

Could someone please explain what Mrs Thatcher has to do with Wayne Rooney's sexual habits?

« Reply #340 on: May 28, 2009, 05:13:39 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
And just one more thing about the reading skills of some players. Rooney is terrific and I would like to have it in my team any day but as my girlfriend often says, he is the perfect exemple of what Thatcherism meant for English working class. I still remember when he was 18 or 19 and said to the media: yes when I was young I used to go with prostitutes.

Could someone please explain what Mrs Thatcher has to do with Wayne Rooney's sexual habits?

Need I say more?

« Reply #341 on: May 28, 2009, 06:44:19 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
BTW the overrated team reached unbeaten two finals in a row and won the local (very competitive)championship  at the same time. It must be luck.

TP, well said.