Author Topic: Top 10 NBA Players  (Read 22477 times)

Re: Top 10 NBA Players!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 11:59:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rasheed could be the best player in the N.B.A. If he had a mentalaty like Garnett because he is the only player that can play with his back to the basket and shoot from any where on the floor and shoot over any player and is great passing out a double team. Great defense to when he tries!

The "potential" of Rasheed Wallace might be the most overrated concept in the nba.

Re: Top 10 NBA Players!
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 12:03:06 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Rasheed could be the best player in the N.B.A. If he had a mentalaty like Garnett because he is the only player that can play with his back to the basket and shoot from any where on the floor and shoot over any player and is great passing out a double team. Great defense to when he tries!

The "potential" of Rasheed Wallace might be the most overrated concept in the nba.

Sir Charles says something and all the youngsters listen.

Re: Top 10 NBA Players
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 12:08:24 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I'm defining my list as top 10 players I would want on my team to win a championship this year.

1. Lebron James (this really pains me to say I am a hater... but he is gooood)
2. Kobe Bryant (despite his near dissapearance in the finals)
3. Tim Duncan (the big faithful)
4. KG ... no more needs said.
5.  Paul Pierce.  He shows up big for big games.
6.  Chris Paul.  I prefer to watch Derron Williams, but CP3 is amazing.
7.  Steve Nash.  The man runs an offense as well as I've ever seen live.
8.  Derron Williams.  I don't think I've ever seen him commit a turnover that was his fault.
9.  Rasheed Wallace.  He just creates so many matchup problems.  Also he motivates the people around him.
10.  Crazy old Ron Artest.  The mind is debatable, but the talent and physicality is not.

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 12:36:33 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
Top 10 Players I would build a franchise around

1. Lebron
2. Dwight Howard
3. CP3
4. DWade
5. Bosh
6. Deron Williams
7. Amare Stoudamire
8. Al Jefferson
9. Carmelo
10. Brandon Roy

Sorry, but you can't build a team around a guy who plays no defense.

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 12:42:49 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Amare I assume, or Al? Amare is a great weakside defender, if you give him a center the quality of Diop or a good defensive rock and you can absolutely build a team around him.

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 12:57:21 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
Amare I assume, or Al? Amare is a great weakside defender, if you give him a center the quality of Diop or a good defensive rock and you can absolutely build a team around him.

Well KCath, even if I did accept your premise that Amare is a great weakside defender (which I don't), what I believe is that a player that can be built around doesn't need a top notch defensive rock protecting him when his man attacks him directly in the post. Weakside is nice, but you need to be able to play the strong side, too.

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 01:02:40 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
I think your premise that you can't build around an offensive big man who averages 2.5 blocks a game is strange. Amare's defensive reputation comes from the fact that he is a natural PF always being asked to guard the opposing team's best center. Thus, he gets torched by Duncan, who despite what the Spurs list him as, is a center.

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 01:06:03 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Was Michael Jordan not a franchise player because he he needed another scorer in Pippen to take the pressure off him? Was Larry not a Franchise playe because he needed McHale/Maxwell and Parish to free open shots? Was Magic not a franchise player because he needed Jabbar to assist to?

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 01:20:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
8.  Derron Williams.  I don't think I've ever seen him commit a turnover that was his fault.

He had 7 turnovers the first time we played them. Many of them were his fault.

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 01:22:05 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Also, who else would you build a team around if not Amare or Al?

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 01:37:51 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
Was Michael Jordan not a franchise player because he he needed another scorer in Pippen to take the pressure off him? Was Larry not a Franchise playe because he needed McHale/Maxwell and Parish to free open shots? Was Magic not a franchise player because he needed Jabbar to assist to?

I can't quote everything you said, as it came in 3 different posts, but here goes:

1. Averaging 2.5 blocks is not the same as playing solid all-around defense. If you come over to block someone's shot 2 or 3 times a game, but still allow your man to score 20-25 points, you are a defensive liability.

2. Your examples of MJ, Bird, and Magic were all offensively-grounded. It is totally different, in my opinion,to need help scoring the ball, as in your MJ example, because of course one player cannot score all the points and have his team succeed. However, one man can play great one on one and help defense, as MJ did. There is no player who can succeed without scoring help, and so while you build around MJ, a fantastic all around talent, you also acquire someone else capable of putting the ball in the basket.  As for your Bird scenario: McHale and Maxwell freeing up shots is all part of the offense. Again, everyone needs help scoring the ball, and bird is not in the same class as MJ (no one is) simply because he was unable to create his own shot at will, at all times. Thirdly, Magic having someone to pass to, namely Kareem, is not what made him a franchise player. Magic was franchise because he could score the ball when needed, dish it out to the whole team, not just Kareem, but the hot/open man as well, and play solid defense, as well as rebound with his excellent size. His multifaceted game without any glaring weaknesses are what made him so fantastic. None of those Three players were weak on D (or at least, as weak as Amare).

3. As for the two replacements? I'm not sure who is on the list already, since I don't have it in front of me. I'll leave a later post with my replacements.

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 02:13:19 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
8.  Derron Williams.  I don't think I've ever seen him commit a turnover that was his fault.

He had 7 turnovers the first time we played them. Many of them were his fault.

I must have missed the game.

Obviously there was some hyperbole involved in my statement.  But the reason I love DWilliams is because he is always in complete control of his team.  He will keep moving, and letting other players move, until he finds the shot.  Like any Jerry Sloan team it is all about the execution.

Plus he is very strong for his size.  I think CP3 is probably a little better, but I'd rather watch Derron.

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 04:47:08 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
1. Lebron
2. KG
3. Kobe
4. CP3
5. Duncan
6. Wade
7. Pierce
8. Dwight Howard
9. Yao Ming
10. Tracey McGrady (when healthy...if he ever is)
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 07:04:36 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
In order:

1 - Kobe Bryant
2 - LeBron James
3 - Tim Duncan
4 - Kevin Garnett