Author Topic: Rudy Fernandez just convinced me to get league pass  (Read 5288 times)

Rudy Fernandez just convinced me to get league pass
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:37:28 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
This guy was awesome was he not? I have to see him play in our league. I don't know about his minutes or anything but I'm guessing he will find his way on to the court with a shot like that and the ability to dunk. 

Anyone else intrigued by this player?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:37:15 PM by Redz »

Re: Rudy Fernadez just convinced me to get league pass
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:42:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
He'll be a ton of fun to watch this year here in Portland. I think he's the prohibitive favorite to start at SG alongside Roy, unless they prefer to start Blake at PG with Roy at SG.

Portland is fired up about the upcoming season, for good reason. We finally get to see Oden as well. Conceivably, he and Rudy could both contend for ROY honors.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:43:56 PM »

Offline BigThreePeat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
Definitely.  If you're a Portland fan you gotta be excited by him.   I mean, I'm not sure how consistent he'll be, but he'll be an interesting player for sure.  He definitely seems to have an exciting game.  And Portland in general will be an interesting team to follow.  Obviously Oden, but... they also had arguably the best player in summerleague (Bayless).  It was already a solid and exciting young team.  Next year will be really fun to see what happens with them.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 12:50:48 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
that dunk on dwight howard was amazing!

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 12:52:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This guy was awesome was he not? I have to see him play in our league. I don't know about his minutes or anything but I'm guessing he will find his way on to the court with a shot like that and the ability to dunk. 

Anyone else intrigued by this player?

Portland is so high on him, they're talking about playing Brandon Roy at the point.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He'll be a ton of fun to watch this year here in Portland. I think he's the prohibitive favorite to start at SG alongside Roy, unless they prefer to start Blake at PG with Roy at SG.

Portland is fired up about the upcoming season, for good reason. We finally get to see Oden as well. Conceivably, he and Rudy could both contend for ROY honors.

I think Roy will be playing SG, with either Blake, or Bayless (depending how he does in camp) as the starting PG.  They have no need to play guys out of position like that.

As for Fernandez, I have been waiting to see him in the NBA for a few years now.  He has been so good in Europe, and in international ball, yet has a game ready-made for the NBA.  I think he will be in the rotation sooner rather than later, and if Roy is not ready to go for the start of the season, he could be the starting SG until Roy comes back.

...of course I think Marco Belinelli will be an even better player, and I thought he could have made a run at the all rookie team last year...so take my opinion with a grain of salt. 

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 12:55:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Their will be a minutes squeeze in Portland. I imagine Rudy will get somewhere in teens minutes wise.

PG - Blake, Bayless
SG - Roy, Rudy
SF - Webster, Outlaw

Who's getting dumped from that rotation?

Portland have a lot of depth and talent. They're going to be a special team, I'm looking forward to watching them too.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
If Roy is hurt, why wouldn't Portland start Outlaw and Webster and have Rudy back them up?

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 01:03:36 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Their will be a minutes squeeze in Portland. I imagine Rudy will get somewhere in teens minutes wise.

PG - Blake, Bayless
SG - Roy, Rudy
SF - Webster, Outlaw

Who's getting dumped from that rotation?

Portland have a lot of depth and talent. They're going to be a special team, I'm looking forward to watching them too.

Webster has not progressed much from his rookie year. A lot of it may just be a confidence issue. I imagine he'll have a real fight on his hands with Rudy for minutes.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 04:45:33 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Yeah, he's very good, but I'm not confortable predicting Fernandez to be a sure thing. Let's see how he adapts himself to the gamestyle, to his role, to a new country. Navarro is not worse than Rudy and he's back in Europe after one year. 

Rubio has more promise and a higher ceiling than Rudy. Unless his development takes an hit, I think he'll be a better prospect when he decides to join the league.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 05:21:08 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Yeah, he's very good, but I'm not confortable predicting Fernandez to be a sure thing. Let's see how he adapts himself to the gamestyle, to his role, to a new country. Navarro is not worse than Rudy and he's back in Europe after one year. 

Rubio has more promise and a higher ceiling than Rudy. Unless his development takes an hit, I think he'll be a better prospect when he decides to join the league.

Navarro had a good year, it probably isn't about who's better than who there. It was all about the money he'd pass up if he didn't return to Europe, not because he just didn't cut it as an NBA guard.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 06:20:35 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Navarro had a good year, it probably isn't about who's better than who there. It was all about the money he'd pass up if he didn't return to Europe, not because he just didn't cut it as an NBA guard.

Navarro became increasingly unmotivated as the season progressed and his production declined/stagnated after the All-Star break. He wasn't comfortable. Compare him to Scola, for example. A similar thing can happen to Rudy, though for different reasons. How will he react if he doesn't get a rotation place right away in the training camp? What if he struggles in his first games? These players are not superstars, they need some stars to align to thrive. I'm optimistic about Rudy but I don't take for granted that he'll have a good season.

Re: Rudy Fernandez just convinced me to get league pass
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
It would be interesting to see them go with Rudy, Roy, and Bayless, even though they would be undersized. Aldridge and Oden in the frontcourt.

If you guys didn't watch Bayless last year, he'll really surprise you. Crazy midrange game, great quickness, and I think he's an above average rebounder. If he develops his passing like Wade did after he got to the NBA, I think Bayless could be just about as good as Wade in a couple years.

Portland is definitely my second favorite team to watch for this season.

Re: Rudy Fernandez just convinced me to get league pass
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I just read this and thought I would add it here, about Rudy:

"I was so impressed with him that it was to the point where after the second time I saw him, I didn't sleep that night because I was moving my rotations around," McMillan said. "I swear I did not sleep. I could not sleep thinking about him. Because I'm saying, 'We can put him here, do this with him, do that with him and Brandon Roy, and do this ...' So he's playing for us. Oh yeah. I see that right now." -- The Oregonian

# McMillan said he doesn't think fewer touches will be a problem for Fernandez because he is adept at scoring without the ball with offensive rebounds, fast breaks and hustling for loose balls.

"If I could say one thing about him, it's that he is fearless," McMillan said. "He's not afraid to make a play, which is great when you are talking about playing in the NBA. You've got to have heart; you can't be afraid. And he is not." -- The Oregonian

!