Eminem
12 (16.7%)
The Game
2 (2.8%)
Other
27 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 26, 2008, 07:52:26 PM

Author Topic: Best rapper  (Read 38212 times)

Re: Best rapper
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Best rapper = oxymoron

I wish really that you'd tell us all how you got to that conclusion. Maybe share your knowledge of the art form, and tell us why you think that there are no good rappers?

art is in the eye of the beholder...not far from where i live (outside of tampa, fl) there is a guy who put some old rv's halfway into the ground and have the noses of them facing the air (i think around 5 of them, or so).

...he calls it "art."  :-\

i won't share here what i would call it...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2008, 12:47:48 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I haven't listened to a whole lot of rap since things turned nasty and over the top violent in the early 90's, but someone who has gotten me listening to a bit recently is Lyrics Born. If you haven't listened to him check him out. He doesn't rank up there with the best of them obviously, but has something to his style.

I would say the best ever has to be Dre. Less big time guys that I absolutely loved their style included Too Short, 3rd Bass, and Kool Moe Dee. (Obviously these all date me)I still can't turn LL Cool J off when it is on.

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2008, 12:51:14 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Best rapper = oxymoron

I wish really that you'd tell us all how you got to that conclusion. Maybe share your knowledge of the art form, and tell us why you think that there are no good rappers?

art is in the eye of the beholder...not far from where i live (outside of tampa, fl) there is a guy who put some old rv's halfway into the ground and have the noses of them facing the air (i think around 5 of them, or so).

...he calls it "art."  :-\

i won't share here what i would call it...

DIdn't that happen somewhere else too, where some guy had to take down a fence, or cut down a tree or something? Or maybe they thought the sounds/smells coming from his car were offensive?

In utah maybe?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
As I said in an earlier thread, IP, I find it hard to call a genre where if you buy the edited version, there are no words works of art.  If you can't make your point without profanity and nastiness, you have no point.

Calling eminem an artist is like calling Smokey The Bear a fireman.

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2008, 01:18:03 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
Immortal Technique - is on heaviest rotation on my pod right now.

WARNING: This video has offensive Lyrics

This is the nastiest thing you will ever see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOGZRTLivn8
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:29:09 PM by IndeedProceed »
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2008, 01:24:50 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
As I said in an earlier thread, IP, I find it hard to call a genre where if you buy the edited version, there are no words works of art.  If you can't make your point without profanity and nastiness, you have no point.

Guess you listen to classical music alot :-)

I guess Michelangelo's & Caravagio aren't artists either.  I'm sure it would be difficult for someone who enters into a conversation about an artform they don't pretend to understand to realize that there will always be people who think every kind of art is utterly profane.  I don't like Country music, but I would never go in and heckle people who were talking about their favorite artists who are students of the genre.

Do me a favor, listen to the Atmosphere song I posted on the last page and tell me your thoughts, but if you're going to listen then listen with an open mind.   

« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2008, 01:34:48 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
"This is NOT hip hop:

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Nada-Cambia-lyrics-Jedi-Mind-Tricks/D97F314CC8C4D87148256DAB00134ED0
"
Reggies Ghost,

Sure it is. It's just extremely insensitive and homophobic.

Offensive lyrics isn't hip hop now?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2008, 01:59:25 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

I guess Michelangelo's & Caravagio aren't artists either.  I'm sure it would be difficult for someone who enters into a conversation about an artform they don't pretend to understand to realize that there will always be people who think every kind of art is utterly profane.  I don't like Country music, but I would never go in and heckle people who were talking about their favorite artists who are students of the genre.

Do me a favor, listen to the Atmosphere song I posted on the last page and tell me your thoughts, but if you're going to listen then listen with an open mind.   

Not really, Reggie.  But classical music is music.  Rap is fake music.  When have you ever seen an instrument played?  How about never.  

I listened to the song, Reggie.  Excellent message.  Like a rap version of Butterfly Kisses......And then there's the rest of the CD.

I picked 3 songs at random from that CD.  After going through those lyrics I don't see this guy as any less a piece of crap as enimem.  I can't remember the "artist" who came out with something like "I know I can be whatever I want to be" rap song that incorporated children in the song.  Great message.....Then there was the rest of the CD.  Same old gangsta crap.  Sorry, Reggie.  It takes no skill whatsoever to put together the same 3-4-5 synthesized bass notes and angrily shout and spit a bunch profanity into a microphone.

It's sort of like Oproh or DR Dumbdumb.  They can do all of the charity work they want. They can pretend to be a great role model.  But when they make their living exploiting degenerates (or actors playing them) it erases all of the good they do.   Same thing goes for rappers who make their living putting out this profane sexist racist bilge.

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2008, 02:11:56 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Still Ballin'
"This is NOT hip hop:

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Nada-Cambia-lyrics-Jedi-Mind-Tricks/D97F314CC8C4D87148256DAB00134ED0
"
Reggies Ghost,

Sure it is. It's just extremely insensitive and homophobic.

Offensive lyrics isn't hip hop now?

Not to me.  To me the soul of hip hop was founded on principles of liberation, it was the music of people who were poor, black and struggling to make their way through life.  It was music like rock and roll before it that challenged the mainstream, a kind of rebel music.  I'm not black, but I identified more with hip hop than any other type of music and  in it I found an outlet for my frustrations, anger, sadness and hope.  Tupac, who was incredibly "offensive" to my parents & teachers, talked a lot about inclusion, respect for  women, love for your family and friends, and the tragedy of violence in society.  People like Finkelsky above will listen to "Hit 'Em Up" and that's all he'll ever want to know about the guy.

I don't get what you're saying about Lyrics like that being the "essence of hip hop".  This is an artform here artist (who usually have little or noting to do with creating the beat they're rhyming to) literally talking in rhyme, so the only thing an MC can be exaluated on is is mind, his thoughts, what he's communicating.  Look again at those lyrics and tell me what he's saying to you?  A person of color talking about hanging his enemy to hear his neck snap.  To me he's taking an insult (rap is about scary black guys who're all going to kill you) and selling it back to us.  He might as well be spitting on you.  That's not hip hop to me.

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2008, 02:18:01 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

Not really, Reggie.  But classical music is music.  Rap is fake music.  When have you ever seen an instrument played?  How about never.  

I listened to the song, Reggie.  Excellent message.  Like a rap version of Butterfly Kisses......And then there's the rest of the CD.

I picked 3 songs at random from that CD.  After going through those lyrics I don't see this guy as any less a piece of crap as enimem.  I can't remember the "artist" who came out with something like "I know I can be whatever I want to be" rap song that incorporated children in the song.  Great message.....Then there was the rest of the CD.  Same old gangsta crap.  Sorry, Reggie.  It takes no skill whatsoever to put together the same 3-4-5 synthesized bass notes and angrily shout and spit a bunch profanity into a microphone.

It's sort of like Oproh or DR Dumbdumb.  They can do all of the charity work they want. They can pretend to be a great role model.  But when they make their living exploiting degenerates (or actors playing them) it erases all of the good they do.   Same thing goes for rappers who make their living putting out this profane sexist racist bilge.

If you want to say someone isn't an artist because all they do is exploit "gansta" culture for money, I can agree with that.

If you want to say someone isn't an artist because they use four letter words or are offensive, you are mistaking art with what you like. 

I am not religious at all.  Does that mean I can't appreciate John Milton or Dante Alligheri?  No.  Because you don't have to believe in the message to appreciate the craft

Some rappers really are just about money and not talent, and I would say they are not artists.  But saying someone isn't an artist just because you don't like the language they use is just flat out silly.  A swear is a word too.  My major areas of study in college were English Literature and Creative Writing, and I can honestly say I consider swears some of the most versatile, beautiful and powerful words in the English language.

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2008, 02:18:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Not really, Reggie.  But classical music is music.  Rap is fake music.  When have you ever seen an instrument played?  How about never. 

I listened to the song, Reggie.  Excellent message.  Like a rap version of Butterfly Kisses......And then there's the rest of the CD.

I picked 3 songs at random from that CD.  After going through those lyrics I don't see this guy as any less a piece of crap as enimem.  I can't remember the "artist" who came out with something like "I know I can be whatever I want to be" rap song that incorporated children in the song.  Great message.....Then there was the rest of the CD.  Same old gangsta crap.  Sorry, Reggie.  It takes no skill whatsoever to put together the same 3-4-5 synthesized bass notes and angrily shout and spit a bunch profanity into a microphone.

It's sort of like Oproh or DR Dumbdumb.  They can do all of the charity work they want. They can pretend to be a great role model.  But when they make their living exploiting degenerates (or actors playing them) it erases all of the good they do.   Same thing goes for rappers who make their living putting out this profane sexist racist bilge.

I would say that it seems a lot of what you say about Rap music is rooted in a general lack of knowledge on the subject. Maybe I'm wrong.

It takes no skill whatsoever to put together the same 3-4-5 synthesized bass notes and angrily shout and spit a bunch profanity into a microphone.

Try it. Then have a kid attempt to learn a green day song, and sing/play it. See who figures it out first. making beats is hard, just like learning to play the guitar is hard just like writing songs that have 3-5 hundred words is hard just like making up a verse about a spontaneously generated topic that not only keeps meter to the beat but also makes sense is incredibly hard.

Sure, I can make a 3pt shot once and a while but I don't think that NBA players have no skill. I can cook a mean seafood alfredo but I don't think Mario Batali is some common short order cook. I can crack a few jokes off the top of my head but I don't for a second think that Richard Pryor is some kind of hack.

Talent is talent, and those who don't recognize it don't understand it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2008, 02:20:57 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Still Ballin'
Let me say thank you, first, for taking the time to listen to that song and taking the time out of your day for honest critique.  Hip hop isn't for everyone, but I've got to tell you first off that

1. Hip hop is often performed with live music, (I'd tell you you should listen to the Roots, another fantastic group that belong son my all time list) and it's great that way

2. I honestly don't know what songs you heard by Atmosphere that you precieved as "same old Gangsta rap."  do you remember what song it was?  That's simply doesn't sound like him, he does use profanity, but does he ahve to be Will Smith for you.  If that's the  case you must not like rock and roll, reggae, any art with devisive content at all...

I got it, you'd be a huge fan of CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVE HIP HOP! :-)

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2008, 02:38:04 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Let me say thank you, first, for taking the time to listen to that song and taking the time out of your day for honest critique.  Hip hop isn't for everyone, but I've got to tell you first off that

1. Hip hop is often performed with live music, (I'd tell you you should listen to the Roots, another fantastic group that belong son my all time list) and it's great that way

2. I honestly don't know what songs you heard by Atmosphere that you precieved as "same old Gangsta rap."  do you remember what song it was?  That's simply doesn't sound like him, he does use profanity, but does he ahve to be Will Smith for you.  If that's the  case you must not like rock and roll, reggae, any art with devisive content at all...

I got it, you'd be a huge fan of CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVE HIP HOP! :-)

Yea i've been a longtime fan of slug and ant myself, and anyone who would lump atmosphere in with the lil wayne's and akon's of the world obviously haven't given them a chance.

I mean atmposphere's two greatest cds (lucy ford/god loves ugly) feeds off his insecurity, bitterness, and anger that he owes to a woman he loved who broke his heart and kicked him to the curb.  He might not of done it single-handidly, but slug basically engineered an entirely new form of rap/hip-hop...i challenge anyone to listen to that cd and declare that there is no talent, passion, or humanity that comes through in any form of rap.  If you can't relate to the songs on that cd than you missed out on a lot of life.

"The moderns man hustle, i dig it - I shovel"

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »

Offline AHHH GiVE mE a bReaK

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 10
Immortal Technique - is on heaviest rotation on my pod right now.

WARNING: This video has offensive Lyrics

This is the nastiest thing you will ever see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOGZRTLivn8

Thats not even close to "Dance with the Devil"

That song is so disturbing that you will have to listen to it again

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2008, 02:42:08 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
I don't understand why people are trying to convert this guy to hip hop. Obviously he doesn't have an open mind, so what's the point?

I love almost all music, and can appreciate almost all music for what it is, be it screamo-emo to gangster rap to country music to classical pieces. You have to have an open mind and appreciate it for what it is.

To say that rap isn't art is just foolish, and to be honest I think you're just trolling at this point.

To whoever said The Game could do a lot more than "touch" Joe Budden, please elaborate. I would really like to know how you've came to this conclusion.