Author Topic: '08 Expiring Contracts and Potential Stars on the Block  (Read 28663 times)

Re: '08 Expiring Contracts and Potential Stars on the Block
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2007, 12:37:01 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
if we make a serious run at the Finals this year, we are going to have FAs knocking the door down to play here next offseason..

i mean Posey and House jumped on board just at what we had on paper.

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2007, 12:42:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I just looked at the guys who have player options for next year.  Baron Davis, Shawn Marion, Corey Maggette, Elton Brand, Grant Hill...and my favorite, Ron Artest.

Here's the bad news, Kobe's a free agent the same year as Ray Allen.  Uh oh.

Daily Dime http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-071130 scroll down to three.
Chad Ford raises the possibility of Shawn Marion being traded for Varejao (in a sign and trade -- no doubt other players from the Cavs would need to be included).  The fear for PHX is that Marion opts out next summer.

There's no way that Phoenix will pick up Varejao on a (fairly) big money, long term deal.

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2007, 12:48:20 PM »

Online Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Players will definitely want to come here, but there will be no money to spend.

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
i don't see any more stars joining the C's in '08. A lot of the guys mentioned on ESPN would have to opt out of big money, and the market wont be good. 2009 on the hand could be interesting with alot of names out there.

Instead I'd like to see the C's keep Posey, hopefully for around his current $$, and then use parts of the MLE on some of the following names:

Najera, Cassell, K. Thomas, Mourning, McDyess, Ollie, Q. Ross

A list of affordable vets who know how to play.

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2007, 03:31:10 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
i don't see any more stars joining the C's in '08. A lot of the guys mentioned on ESPN would have to opt out of big money, and the market wont be good. 2009 on the hand could be interesting with alot of names out there.

Instead I'd like to see the C's keep Posey, hopefully for around his current $$, and then use parts of the MLE on some of the following names:

I like the Najera idea.  Also throw Jeff Foster into that mix.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »

Offline drunk_guy_at_an_80s_party

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4

...and throw Mourning out of that mix, since he would never again play anywhere else than in Miami. But I would love to see him in green. I love the guy.

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2007, 04:45:22 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I didn't realize Foster could opt out next summer. I love his game as a high energy rebounder at the 5. He'd be a terrific backup. I wonder if he would be willing to walk away from 6.2 million in 08/09 though. I doubt the C's would want to give him the full MLE to lure him away. But maybe a Scal-esque contract would get it done.
..and throw Mourning out of that mix

Admittedly Mourning/McDyess are just wishful thinking. Things would have to get really sour in MIA/DET before those guys came on board.

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2007, 04:37:57 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
With the way House and TA have played, I'm less and less worried about backup PG. I could see Posey opting out if he feels he can get a full MLe some where, but I doubt it. Instead we should try and use the full MLE on someone - Foster is intriguing. Don't know how far gone his game is, but he'd be a nice Pollard improvement.

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2007, 03:54:08 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
With the way House and TA have played, I'm less and less worried about backup PG. I could see Posey opting out if he feels he can get a full MLe some where, but I doubt it. Instead we should try and use the full MLE on someone - Foster is intriguing. Don't know how far gone his game is, but he'd be a nice Pollard improvement.

i think we could get away with it during the regular season, but against better teams in the playoffs, not having a legit backup pg could be detrimental (see the recet pistons game).

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think Kidd would actually consider taking the full mle to play here. Theres no reason he shouldnt, he has made his money, hes getting older, he wants to win. I can see it.

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2007, 08:40:05 PM »

Offline WEnotME5

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I think Kidd would actually consider taking the full mle to play here. Theres no reason he shouldnt, he has made his money, hes getting older, he wants to win. I can see it.

if we got jason kidd i would just retire as a celtics fan because we would go 82-0 no doubt and break the record and win all fo our playoff games and have an undeafeted season

rondo and kidd at the point and having the 2 best pg duo in cs history is like having kobe shooting 60 times a game , AUTOMATIC!!

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2008, 08:57:15 AM »

Offline JollyGreen17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
Tyronne Lue signed with the bucks

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2008, 07:31:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I wasn't sure where to post this and and long as I've been here I don't know how to start a thread, so I stuck it here  ;D

I found this tidbit in the Atlanta journal Constitution.

There are at least two, blockbuster sign-and-trade proposals the Hawks are chewing on regarding Smith (one from a Western Conference power and the other from an Eastern Conference big dog) that could dramatically change the landscape in Hawksville.

The “proverbial” ball appears to be clearly in the Hawks’ court regarding both opportunities, and we should presume many more. Because if they are resigned to the fact that they don’t intend to pay Smith a salary commensurate with what he feels he’s worth, then there only recourse is to sign-and-trade him.

The leverage we all assumed the Hawks had with their own restricted free agents went up in smoke last week when Childress bounced.

Anyone that doesn’t think Smith will wait this thing out as long as the Hawks is living in a dream world. If you don’t think he’ll sign a qualifying offer, play out his season and walk next summer as an unrestricted free agent you’re crazy.

If the Hawks want to get anything in return (and keep in mind they get absolutely nothing if he plays out the year and walks, NOTHING), they have to act now.

My guess is the Western Conference power is the Mavs and the Eastern Conference big dog is the Pistons (Dumars covets Smith).   

Anybody else wanna take a guess on who the two teams are in the article or if the trade is gonna take place.  My guess is Smith is outta ATL and they'll trade him before he signs a one year and leaves as an unrestricted next year.