Author Topic: '08 Expiring Contracts and Potential Stars on the Block  (Read 28650 times)

Re: 08 Free Agents that could put us over the top
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2007, 11:46:17 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
In addition to Kurt Thomas, ....  Sam Cassell -- KG's boy from their Western Conf. finals run; and Kevin Ollie -- Ray Allen's boy from UConn days; will also be out there...

but yeah Ryan Gomes is the guy i hope we resign. (I also Dream of Delonte coming back... but that would be a looooong shot).
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2007, 11:47:08 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
cassell in 08 would be sick!

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2007, 11:59:24 AM »

Offline AHHH GiVE mE a bReaK

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 10

sure the name is attractive, but he is extremely injury prone and at this point in his career I think he would retire after this season if his injury problems continue

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2007, 12:02:45 PM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
I would LOVE to see Delonte and Ryan back here.

They would both be perfect role players for us off the bench.

Besides Al, those were the only two I had a hard time giving up this summer - wasn't so concerned about Gerald.

I think Cassell is going to retire after this year.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2007, 12:19:41 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Cassell in '08 will also be 39. 

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2007, 12:24:06 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Baron Davis anyone?  He's a free agent next year too.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2007, 12:25:51 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Jason Kidd is a free agent in 08.  He would put us over the top.  I'd definitely go after him.

I doubt JKidd would take such a big paycut, even if it is to play with 3 all-stars.

Are you kidding?  I'm sure Kidd wants to win just as much as PP, KG and RA.  I would actually be surprised if he didn't want to come, especially if the situation in NJ isn't good.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2007, 12:32:12 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Jason Kidd is a free agent in 08.  He would put us over the top.  I'd definitely go after him.

I doubt JKidd would take such a big paycut, even if it is to play with 3 all-stars.

Are you kidding?  I'm sure Kidd wants to win just as much as PP, KG and RA.  I would actually be surprised if he didn't want to come, especially if the situation in NJ isn't good.

Eh, forgetting the fact that he won't take a huge paycut, he also prob isn't a big Boston guy.

Remember the wife beater chants? Classic.

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2007, 01:02:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I like the Corliss Williamson idea, he is a FA this year right?

FA's: Wait for next year
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2007, 01:07:10 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
The Celtics will not win #17 this year!

That is why I think the Celtics should not sign any FA's to more than a 1 yr deal.  The remaining FA's for this year are the bottom of the barrel. Sure the C's need a back up PG and C this year, but get GP, Dikembe, PJ Brown etc. for one year deals. Let the core gel, let Rondo get some playoff experience, allow BBD and Pruitt to become the next West and Gomes - next year is the championship year. 

Also next year the best of the FA's will want to join the C's for their championship run.

Anyone have a list of PG's and C's that are free agents after 07-08?   

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2007, 11:50:34 AM »

Offline JollyGreen17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
Baron Davis anyone?  He's a free agent next year too.

I'm down.

Re: '08 Expiring Contracts and Potential Stars on the Block
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2007, 04:25:19 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I just looked at the guys who have player options for next year.  Baron Davis, Shawn Marion, Corey Maggette, Elton Brand, Grant Hill...and my favorite, Ron Artest.

Here's the bad news, Kobe's a free agent the same year as Ray Allen.  Uh oh.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2007, 12:50:11 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Luckily, we won't be under the salary cap to be able to sign Kobe.  If we want to keep Ray, we'll be able to.  We have bird rights on him.

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2007, 12:20:31 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I just looked at the guys who have player options for next year.  Baron Davis, Shawn Marion, Corey Maggette, Elton Brand, Grant Hill...and my favorite, Ron Artest.

Daily Dime http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-071130 scroll down to three.
Chad Ford raises the possibility of Shawn Marion being traded for Varejao (in a sign and trade -- no doubt other players from the Cavs would need to be included).  The fear for PHX is that Marion opts out next summer.

I just got jitters with the following thought: what if Matrix opts out and agrees to sign with the Celtics for the full MLE?  He would be leaving a lot of money on the table, no doubt about that, but it would virtually guarantee him repeated All Star visits and at least one ring.  Garnett could shift to C and Marion could play PF:

Rondo - Allen - Pierce - Marion - Garnett
With (potentially) House, T. Allen, Posey, BBD, Perkins off the bench.

Wow.

But would Marion mesh well with the Big Three?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2007, 12:30:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Daily Dime http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-071130 scroll down to three.
Chad Ford raises the possibility of Shawn Marion being traded for Varejao (in a sign and trade -- no doubt other players from the Cavs would need to be included).  The fear for PHX is that Marion opts out next summer.

I just got jitters with the following thought: what if Matrix opts out and agrees to sign with the Celtics for the full MLE?  He would be leaving a lot of money on the table, no doubt about that, but it would virtually guarantee him repeated All Star visits and at least one ring.  Garnett could shift to C and Marion could play PF:

Rondo - Allen - Pierce - Marion - Garnett
With (potentially) House, T. Allen, Posey, BBD, Perkins off the bench.

Wow.

But would Marion mesh well with the Big Three?

I don't like moving KG to center and I honestly think that Marion wouldn't take the MLE in a million years; that he wants to go somewhere where he can be THE MAN.   With the New Three already established here, he'd wouldn't be getting the adoration and attention that I think he craves.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team