Author Topic: '08 Expiring Contracts and Potential Stars on the Block  (Read 28553 times)

Re: '08 Expiring Contracts and Potential Stars on the Block
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007, 07:18:38 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Which one of the expiring contracts do you think could be had for Wally and a future pick?

Am I the only one tired of Ainge having to include first rounders to get rid of his mistakes?

Hah!
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2007, 03:50:35 PM »

Offline Kdu12

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 10
I think we need to hold on to Theo's contract because we are going to need the money to sign our own players.

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 09:53:14 AM »

Offline Clem

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Wait and see Theo is going to contribute to this team on the court next season.Because it is a contract year.We would be better of to let him play out next season(He will contribute to us making the playoffs)and then ride of into the sunset.Then we can use his money to sign are guy's and to get a better hold on are salary cap.

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2007, 07:27:04 PM »

Offline redd1985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 21
A part of me really wants to hold on Theo's contract, which I know would have Simmons and many on this board groaning, but its not all bad. Also, I think this conversation is premature. If we all agree that this years draft is paramount to the Celtics future (and we all agree on that), then discussing players that complement that draft pick and Pierce and co cant be had at this time.

off hand though, I do not love any of these players (probably why they're going into free agency, most solid players get resigned), but a vet PG seems to be the most pressing need.

Banner by Indeed Proceed

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 05:04:49 PM »

Offline jarobiso

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
I can see holding onto Theo's contract. We'll need to use some of that money for reupping Big Al, for instance. We have two big contracts that will be expiring in the next three years, so I'd like to see either Theo or Wally moved, but probably not both for those monetary reasons.

Here's an article on the notable free agents for this summer:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/chris_ekstrand/04/16/free.agency/index.html

The name that stands out (because most of the others will be definitely out our price range and may be resigned easily off the bat) is Andres Nocioni. Not sure we're gonna find what we need on the market.

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007, 04:38:52 AM »

Offline RmbrRuss

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
As they say down South, "Y'all oughta get a grip!"

Please stop talking about Garnett coming here..why would he...seeking a championship...come to a team w a very suspect coach..and the 2nd worst record....and if Jefferson is exchanged for him!!! Fantasy. Chicago, Houston, Utah, LA ..the Clips, Warriors, Miami, Portland ,Denver  Detroit, Cleveland....us?....It's not close even if Jeff stays. 
We need to continue to build w the draft(most of the time younger =healthier) until the disppointed stars elsewhere say"   Hmm...w me Boston has a real shot!" We might need 2 more years and Pierce will probably not be here. It would take Auerbachian trades of the Parrish/McHale for Joe Barry magnitude for us to leapfrog into contention.
And again, Mr Rivers must pass. (Perpend--read your Brickowski!) :-\

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2007, 12:23:41 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Which one of the expiring contracts do you think could be had for Wally and a future pick?

Z-bo? maybe...uh jailblazers

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2007, 08:29:34 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

Z-bo? maybe...uh jailblazers

lol so true..how many times have players been caught with marajuana in the last 5 yrs

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2007, 08:00:22 AM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'm not sure what they would ask for O'Neil but id say O'Neil for Minnesotas first rounder, Theo, Delonte West, Tony Allen, Ryan Gomes... I would try to make it so we dont have to give up Gerald or Al obviously, but if we could somehow do a trade like this id do it easily

The main problem with Indiana is that inorder for them to truely rebuild, which would be the point of moving O'Neal in the first place, they need to somehow rid themselves of Dunleavy, Murphy, and even Daniels and Tinsley. I could see them forcing the acquiring team to take one or more of those players while also giving up picks/prospects. I think a trade with the Celtics would go something like this:

Indiana acquires:
Gerald Green
Delonte West
Kendrick Perkins
Theo Ratliff
Wally Szczerbiak
Minnesota's future pick

Boston acquires:
Jermaine O'Neal
Mike Dunleavy
Jamaal Tinsley

This is a quick and dirty trade I came up with, but it actually does work. I know your specific fondness for GG so I can't see you doing it. I'm not sure anyone really would want to do the above trade regardless though. Taking Dunleavy and Tinsley just isn't worth it.

And why would the Pacers make this trade? I think there are a lot of homers out there who over value our young players. West lost his job to Rondo the day he was draft, Penkins has been a bust, Green has potential but can't get on the floor because he plays no D.

O'Neal, Dun, and Tinley comine for a 47 pts, 20 rbs, and 12 ast. How about I trade you all of my back up players for all your starters, deal?

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2007, 01:32:43 PM »

Offline No Look Shot

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • Bwwwaaaaaht????
And why would the Pacers make this trade? I think there are a lot of homers out there who over value our young players. West lost his job to Rondo the day he was draft, Penkins has been a bust, Green has potential but can't get on the floor because he plays no D.

O'Neal, Dun, and Tinley comine for a 47 pts, 20 rbs, and 12 ast. How about I trade you all of my back up players for all your starters, deal?
I don't know if the Pacers make THIS trade, but I think your analysis of both teams' players is seriously flawed, except maybe Green (who's barely old enough to drink and has serious talent, albeit it limited to a few select areas so far).

How has Perkins been a "bust"? He was a late round draft pick and he's a serviceable rotation big man. Good luck finding that most years that late in the draft, and then signing him to a reasonable extension.

Now Dunleavy, THERE'S a bust. But not only is he terrible (at a less important position), but he's also massively overpaid -- what team wouldn't rather have Delonte West at a reasonable price?

And from what I understand, the Pacers would be more than happy to end the Tinsley era as soon as possible.

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »

Offline Vicirus

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12

Well first off, I originally posted that on February 22nd. That was a couple of days after the trading deadline I believe. We no longer even have Wally or Delonte on our roster, but I understand that your post is out dated seeing as how things have changed since you posted this...

I've come to realize over the last few weeks that GMs won't do what is best for their teams and package bad contracts with their stars (ie KG along with 2 bad contracts Jaric/Hassel/THUD/Blount or O'Neal with Murphy/Dunleavy/Tinsley). They would rather get back max talent value in trades, instead of taking less talent while packaging bad contracts. The reason is that they expose themselves for giving bad contracts out (Minnesota) or making bad trades (Indy) if they do this.

IMHO, Indiana should think seriously about making any acquiring team take on either Dunleavy or Murphy with O'Neal. Something like Odom, Kwame, and Turiaf(no Bynum basically) for O'Neal and Murphy. But, like I side, they wouldn't do that.

Now as for the trade I originally posted, value wise, I don't think it is too far off. Maybe swap the Minnesota pick for next years first and it would be a done deal. You just have to consider how much negative value Dunleavy and Tinsley have because of their long/expensive (relative to value) contracts.

08 Free Agents that could put us over the top
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2007, 10:43:09 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
well of course we have to sign free agents this offseason just to have enough guys, but other then back up pg I think they should only be 1 year deals. PJ Brown,Mutumbo I would like to see signed for 1 year to help this team.

But 08 is where we could get the role players to put us over the top. Gomes will likely not be resigned so we could try and sign him back for part of the mle. Also kurt thomas will be a free agent.Thomas is basically a younger PJ Brown with still a lot left in the tank and a better shooter.

So the key is dont sign big men this year that are more then a 1 year deal,unless its webber who I would give 2 years to.

Re: 08 Free Agents that could put us over the top
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 11:19:16 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
i think Corliss Williamson and Brian Skinner are some guys that can be had very cheap and can contribute positively in some lesser roles.

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 11:20:08 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Jason Kidd is a free agent in 08.  He would put us over the top.  I'd definitely go after him.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2007, 11:37:42 AM »

Offline shlemiel34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Jason Kidd is a free agent in 08.  He would put us over the top.  I'd definitely go after him.

I doubt JKidd would take such a big paycut, even if it is to play with 3 all-stars.
Always do good. It will surprise some and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain