Author Topic: '08 Expiring Contracts and Potential Stars on the Block  (Read 28664 times)

Re: '08 Expiring Contracts and Potential Stars on the Block
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 01:31:48 AM »

Offline Scotty

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 11
Not to be nitpicky, but if you were to put the two examples into a spectrum of future possibilites which has a better chance of occuring, Wally returning to health and putting up his career average PER number or Wally never really getting healthy again? :-\

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 01:45:37 AM »

Offline cox4lyf

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
i though gorman had a good out take on wally today on weei, saying that the only way he can see him being good is off the bench in the 6th man role. i totally agree w/ him if he can come of the bench w/ his shooting, the nights that he is hot (once in a blue moon seems like)you keep him in there longer. but in my opion if there's a chance to get him outta here im all for it....hell idk even mind taking 50 cents on the dollar i'm just sick of seeing him limp around even when he was healthy he was slow.

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 02:06:11 AM »

Offline Vicirus

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
Not to be nitpicky, but if you were to put the two examples into a spectrum of future possibilites which has a better chance of occuring, Wally returning to health and putting up his career average PER number or Wally never really getting healthy again? :-\

Oh, I totally agree with you there. I would put Wally's chances of being healthy and putting up good numbers from here on out at worse than 50%, probably like 40% or so. This is why I began my original comment with "I think the best case scenario for the Celtics is that he gets on the court for the last 30 games, plays well, then does the same next year and we can dump him at the '08 trade deadline. In that case, teams would be offering us an expiring with a draft pick." I never said it is likely to happen, just that it could.

I view Wally's situation the same way I view the draft, optimistically. You don't hear people saying, "man I hope we get Wright or Noah, that would be awesome." Well guess what guys, we have a better chance of getting those two than we do Oden or Durant. But thats not what people want to hear. The same goes for Wally, no one wants to think Wally has a great shot at being chronically injured for the next 2 and a half years and being a total albatross. I care to look at this situation through rose colored glasses.  ;)

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 07:13:30 AM »

The R

Thanks for all this work.  This should be a permanent thread to be looked at again and again.  How can we be sure that it will be?

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 10:02:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The Celtics are in the drivers seat. 

If they don't get Oden, they should try to get a big like Gasol or KG. 

If they get Oden, then they can use this package to get either a top vet PG (Kidd) or a SG/SF that can defend and hit the 3. 

The biggest key though might be, do not bring back any large bad contracts. 

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 11:45:31 AM »

Offline Vicirus

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
The Celtics are in the drivers seat. 

If they don't get Oden, they should try to get a big like Gasol or KG. 

If they get Oden, then they can use this package to get either a top vet PG (Kidd) or a SG/SF that can defend and hit the 3. 

The biggest key though might be, do not bring back any large bad contracts. 

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I truely believe that KG will either opt out this summer or ask for a trade. I think McHale will finally stepdown/be fired, and Hoiberg will take over the Titanic. There is just no hope there for KG. All their salary is locked up in Hudson, Hassell, Jaric, James, and Blount. All overpaid players who have long term contracts.

I heard Rick Bucher one ESPNews yesterday, and he said something about Al Jefferson and KG. I didn't catch it all, but I think that is a trade that they will revisit this summer. I could see something like KG for Ratliff, Perkins, Telfair, and Al. I think in time Al could be a more interior oriented KG with a cheaper contract for slightly less production, but I would probably pull the trigger on that.

I don't know of a package they could get that would be much better, except maybe the Bulls or Lakers. The Bulls would need to extend some people to make the salaries match, and LA would need to send Kwame, Odom, Farmar, and picks. Not quite as appealing I think.

You are right in saying the key is to not just trade Ratliff for large bad contracts. I hope Ainge doesn't just pull the trigger to appease PP. Guys like Marbury, Hughs, K-mart, Walker, Kirilenko, and Bibby all fit the bill of guys who are good but don't live up to their contracts. Even Kidd and Ray Allen to some degree are like this, although they are obviously in a different league compared to those other players.

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 06:37:39 PM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61
I'd like to try and land Pietrus or Bowen out of that list.

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 07:10:01 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
no bowen! dude is a coward. dirty player!! (in my opinion ofcourse.) sorry. i've broken many ankles.

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 04:56:20 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
He's one of the ones that got away.

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 01:31:04 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Alonzo liked him at gtown and every since.  Surprised he doesn't make more $$, would love him on team!  Fierce player & leader.

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »

Offline delontelookalike

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 4
right now i think we couldn't get anything for wally right now not even a second round pick.....
my pain,my gain learn and grow

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 12:18:41 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i liked zo but i think they need to start teching him for pointing to the sky. there needs to be a petition put together to ban this from sports. i'd love to see a guy hit a home run ,round the bases and point down to the ground and give props to satan.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2007, 01:32:48 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i liked zo but i think they need to start teching him for pointing to the sky. there needs to be a petition put together to ban this from sports. i'd love to see a guy hit a home run ,round the bases and point down to the ground and give props to satan.

While I disagree about the pointing to the sky thing being annoying, this really made me laugh. ;D Albert Belle should have started it.

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 09:48:04 PM »

Offline ryanhath

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 32
I'm not sure what they would ask for O'Neil but id say O'Neil for Minnesotas first rounder, Theo, Delonte West, Tony Allen, Ryan Gomes... I would try to make it so we dont have to give up Gerald or Al obviously, but if we could somehow do a trade like this id do it easily

The main problem with Indiana is that inorder for them to truely rebuild, which would be the point of moving O'Neal in the first place, they need to somehow rid themselves of Dunleavy, Murphy, and even Daniels and Tinsley. I could see them forcing the acquiring team to take one or more of those players while also giving up picks/prospects. I think a trade with the Celtics would go something like this:

Indiana acquires:
Gerald Green
Delonte West
Kendrick Perkins
Theo Ratliff
Wally Szczerbiak
Minnesota's future pick

Boston acquires:
Jermaine O'Neal
Mike Dunleavy
Jamaal Tinsley

This is a quick and dirty trade I came up with, but it actually does work. I know your specific fondness for GG so I can't see you doing it. I'm not sure anyone really would want to do the above trade regardless though. Taking Dunleavy and Tinsley just isn't worth it.

I think this is possible at the deadline, but not before the season as Indiana would have to be willing to be absolutely terrible for a year. 

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 02:49:02 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Which one of the expiring contracts do you think could be had for Wally and a future pick?

Am I the only one tired of Ainge having to include first rounders to get rid of his mistakes?