Author Topic: Favorite International Guy that never got his shot  (Read 9089 times)

Favorite International Guy that never got his shot
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:18:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I was watching the USA V Spain game and it got me thinking that I really wish JCN (Navarro) had gotten a fair shake on a team that was committed to winning now. I thought he'd get a real shot with the Grizzlies last season, but after Gasol was traded and the season was in the tank the writing was on the wall: Navarro was on a team that was rebuilding, and he's in the prime of his career.

So after the season Navarro split, probably to never return. Think though if he had been on a squad like Dallas, or Orlando (wow, think of him with orlando. Nelson, Navarro, Turk, Lewis, Howard). Think he would've gone overseas? No freakin way. He would've been awesome too, no question in my mind.

Thats my 'wish it was'. Who is your favorite non-US citizen that could've been really good if given a fair shot in the right system? Sarunas? Skita (right.)? Drezon Petrovic?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:24:00 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Favorite International Guy that never got his shot
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:24:42 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
yea same opinion here with navarro. i wish he had just demanded a trade or something. the issue with overseas players are that they usually come to the nba in the prime of their career, which is changing now, but they need to come much younger.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 01:25:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Darko Milicic

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not sure that Navarro didn't get a fair shot; he got fairly consistent minutes in Memphis, and had an up-and-down season.  If he'd chosen to go to another team, he certainly had the right to; he was a (restricted) free agent, and could negotiate with any team.

His agent suggested that his return to Spain was based upon 1) comfort, and 2) money:

“It all started when he returned to Spain for holidays after the NBA season came to an end,” Navarro’s agent Alex Saratsis told HoopsHype.com. “In his mind, there was no doubt he was going to sign a contract with an NBA team for coming years, but things started to change when FC Barcelona got in touch with us. They were willing to make a great economic effort to bring him back and besides Navarro was thrilled to see that Chichi Creus (a former Spanish player recently named GM of FC Barcelona) was running things. I was in Barcelona last week for Navarro’s birthday and that was when negotiations really heated up. They made two offers to us and the second one was one Juan Carlos couldn’t refuse.”

The guy who I always wanted to see in the NBA is Theodoros Papaloukas.  He's been the best player in Europe for years, but has had no desire to join the NBA.  A 6'7" point guard who is an excellent passer, a sniper from deep, and a lock-down defender.  He would have been awesome over here.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 01:36:57 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I was watching the USA V Spain game and it got me thinking that I really wish JCN (Navarro) had gotten a fair shake on a team that was committed to winning now. I thought he'd get a real shot with the Grizzlies last season, but after Gasol was traded and the season was in the tank the writing was on the wall: Navarro was on a team that was rebuilding, and he's in the prime of his career.

So after the season Navarro split, probably to never return. Think though if he had been on a squad like Dallas, or Orlando (wow, think of him with orlando. Nelson, Navarro, Turk, Lewis, Howard). Think he would've gone overseas? No freakin way. He would've been awesome too, no question in my mind.

Thats my wish it was. Who is your favorite non-US citizen that could've been really good if given a fair shot in the right system? Sarunas? Skita (right.)? Drezon Petrovic?

Sarunas is a decent player in Europe (though not an excellent one) but his game just doesn't fit the NBA. He's not even good enough to be a starter for Panathinaikos, to say the true.

Skita is just a plain bad player. His draft was laughable. He was a bench warmer in his European club and widely seen as having limited potential and suddenly became a 5th pick in the NBA draft. I remember being "what the heck do they see that I can't?" that night.

Petrovic was a beast, he was unlucky with not getting his shot in Portland, but in NJ he quickly became a 22ppg with high percentages SG. One of the best players of his generation. Too bad he died too son. But I'm not sure he qualifies, as he found a good situation during his 3rd season.

Maybe the best answer, even better than Navarro, is Spanoulis, although I don't think he'd ever be a truly good NBA player. But yeah, probably good enough to be a solid contributor in the right situation. Also Krstic - his bad luck was mostly the injury, but I think NBA teams are making a mistake allowing him to go away.

Another interesting question is: what non-US players NBA teams completely missed? For the last 10 years, I'd say Diamantidis - easily a top-10 PG in the league, probably All-Star material. Though GMs can't be blamed for this one.

At this moment, probably Siskauskas, although I have some doubts on how his game would translate. But I could see him being a serious contender for the 6th man award on a team like the Celtics.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 01:44:44 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
There was this Irish kid, huge prospect, tipped as "the next Bob Cousy" but unfortunately due to 2 broken legs he never got the chance to live up to his potential. I'm sure that, given half a chance he would have blown everyone away...

Of those who we're more familiar with, Darko is getting his chance so I can't say him yet. I'd probably go with Petrovic (tragic circumstances). Krstic could have been a solid starter if not for injuries, so he could figure in there too.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 01:55:47 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The guy who I always wanted to see in the NBA is Theodoros Papaloukas.  He's been the best player in Europe for years, but has had no desire to join the NBA.  A 6'7" point guard who is an excellent passer, a sniper from deep, and a lock-down defender.  He would have been awesome over here.

Papaloukas is probably the best player of Euro basketball of the past decade. But he'll truly need to be in a very special situation to be productive on the NBA. He's not a "sniper from deep", just an acceptable shooter and he's not a lock-down defender: he's an average one on Europe but he'd never be able to guard most of NBA points (and Papaloulas is strictly a point-guard), so he'd create a problematic defensive matchup for his own team, hence the "very special situation". It's not easy to build a team to fit Papaloukas. Also, the one who never wanted to join the NBA is Diamantidis (who, IMO, would be a far better NBA player than Papaloukas), Theo has been considering it for years. Aren't you confusing the two?

BTW, allow me to mention Bodiroga, the best player who never joined the NBA (also because of his own [lack of] desire).

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 02:03:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Off point, but man, I hope Memphis gives Marc Gasol a chance. He's playing very well in the medal game (im rewatching it now)

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 02:03:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Also, the one who never wanted to join the NBA is Diamantidis (who, IMO, would be a far better NBA player than Papaloukas), Theo has been considering it for years. Aren't you confusing the two?

Yeah, I think I blended the two into one super-player. ;)  Still, Papaloukas has had plenty of opportunities to join the NBA, and has repeatedly declined.  The "sniper from outside" part was in reference to Diamantidis' attributes, though.  (I think both players are pretty good defenders from what I've seen, but draftexpress seems to agree with your take.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 02:09:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Off point, but man, I hope Memphis gives Marc Gasol a chance. He's playing very well in the medal game (im rewatching it now)

Addition: and also he looks like a freakin Lumberjack. That's gotta count for something..somewhere.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 02:11:13 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

Ditto, he could be a solid player.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 02:43:56 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Considering only active players i`d say that Spanoulis wasn`t treated fairly. I don`t think that his size and style of play suits the NBA but still he didn`t get many chances to show himself.

If we also include retired players i`d say
Zdovc. He is the blend of Papaloukas kai Diamantidis you we re talking about. About 6.7 , excellent defender, excellent passer, decent long range and completely unselfish. The best team mate you could ever dream of!

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 02:48:19 PM »

Offline jdportn

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Wasn't Sabonis supposed to be one of the best players in the world before he made his way to the NBA?

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Wasn't Sabonis supposed to be one of the best players in the world before he made his way to the NBA?

Yeah, he was past his prime by the time he joined the NBA. Although, he did have a decent career in the NBA.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Yes he was. If he wasn`t so seriously injured he could the best non NBA player of all time IMHO