Author Topic: Darius Miles and Scalabrine for Joel Przybilla  (Read 9514 times)

Darius Miles and Scalabrine for Joel Przybilla
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:42:41 AM »

Offline Hardcore Fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
I don't know what it would take to make this work salary wise, but I am very intrigued with adding Przybilla as a backup to KP (in the unlikely event that POB does not turn out to be one of the all time steals ;)) and with our leverage to trade Miles to Portland who would want to avoid the cap hit of him playing 10 games if I understand that correctly.  Could this work?  Could Portland trade for then sit or cut Miles to avoid the cap hit?  Is there any doubt that Przybilla would be a great addition as a 7'1" backup center?

Re: Darius Miles and Scalabrine for Joel Przybilla
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:51:13 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Yeah, I really like that guy, he is long, somewhat athletic and blocks a lot of shots, he would split minutes with Perk. But I would do this trade around the all-star break 'cause I am really excited about D-Miles.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 09:01:52 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
2 things,

1)If the blazers wanted anything at all to do with Miles, they wouldn't have released him. They had to plan for him getting a contract, so they're on the hook for his cap hit anyways.

2)Greg Oden is coming off of a major injury. Pryzbilla played 45% of the available minutes at the center. He's as good a backup C as there is in the league, and he was the most used center they had last season. Oden is their guy, but they're not letting Pryzbilla walk for a guy they don't want, and a guy they don't want.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 09:16:42 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
2 things,

1)If the blazers wanted anything at all to do with Miles, they wouldn't have released him. They had to plan for him getting a contract, so they're on the hook for his cap hit anyways.

2)Greg Oden is coming off of a major injury. Pryzbilla played 45% of the available minutes at the center. He's as good a backup C as there is in the league, and he was the most used center they had last season. Oden is their guy, but they're not letting Pryzbilla walk for a guy they don't want, and a guy they don't want.

are you impliying they dont want Scal?  ;)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 09:45:57 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
They would cut Miles, so basically it's Scal for their backup center.  I don't think they do that deal.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 10:05:16 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I believe Miles has to play in 10 games for Portland to have to pay his contract. so if portland traded for him, they'd keep him on the bench for 2 years and they'd save 18 million dollars. wow that would look fishy for so many reasons.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:44:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Because we just signed Miles, there is a waiting period before you can trade him. I think it's like not until 90 days have past or some day in the first week in December, whichever comes later. So thiswouldn't be a trade that could happen anytime soon.

Also, I'm no math expert but may guess is that the chances of Portland trading for a guy that they went through great lengths to release and find medically unable to play are so infintismally small as to be none existant.

Like it or not, Danny has 15 players signed and those are probably the fifteen guys that come out of training camp with the team.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 11:10:39 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Because we just signed Miles, there is a waiting period before you can trade him. I think it's like not until 90 days have past or some day in the first week in December, whichever comes later. So thiswouldn't be a trade that could happen anytime soon.

Also, I'm no math expert but may guess is that the chances of Portland trading for a guy that they went through great lengths to release and find medically unable to play are so infintismally small as to be none existant.

Like it or not, Danny has 15 players signed and those are probably the fifteen guys that come out of training camp with the team.

I still think Pruitt gets cut....
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:34:23 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Is this MadTV's parody of a trade?  This may be the funniest trade proposal in Blog history.  Unbelievably, it includes Scalabrine.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 12:13:13 PM »

Offline Hardcore Fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
scal career avg.  3.5 ppg  2.5 rpg   D Miles 10.5 ppg 5.5 rpg

Przybill  4.0 ppg  5.9 rpg    Is that really that funny?   Did I miss Joel morphing into Michael Jordon since he plays out west.  Maybe I am not watching enough Mad TV.  Or come to think of it maybe you are watching too much.  The point of the thread is the potential leverage, if any, in keeping D Miles of the blazers books for 18 mil!

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:22:25 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i'd do this in a heartbeat... but portland won't... haha

Become Legendary.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:46:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Przybill  4.0 ppg  5.9 rpg    Is that really that funny?   Did I miss Joel morphing into Michael Jordon since he plays out west.  Maybe I am not watching enough Mad TV.  Or come to think of it maybe you are watching too much.  The point of the thread is the potential leverage, if any, in keeping D Miles of the blazers books for 18 mil!
Joel Przybilla averaged 8.3rpg in 23 minutes a night. He pulled down 21% of available rebounds while on the court which ranked him as the third best rebounder in the league last year. Over the last two months of the season his minutes moved up to 28 minutes per game and he pulled down 11rpg in that time. He's an excellent rebounder. Przybilla is also a very good interior defender, a good shot-blocker and a top notch post defender. Add in the 5ppg on nearly 60% shooting, smart player, solid passer. He's a big man who knows his business and can play his role. Overall he is a truly excellent role player.

As to the trade, there's no leverage, there's nothing here that Portland would be willing to give up a valuable piece over. They're paying out the $18mil regardless of whether Miles plays again, the only difference is whether it counts on their cap. There's simply not enough here for them to give up a valuable piece to their puzzle.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Joel Przybilla averaged 8.3rpg in 23 minutes a night. He pulled down 21% of available rebounds while on the court which ranked him as the third best rebounder in the league last year. Over the last two months of the season his minutes moved up to 28 minutes per game and he pulled down 11rpg in that time. He's an excellent rebounder. Przybilla is also a very good interior defender, a good shot-blocker and a top notch post defender. Add in the 5ppg on nearly 60% shooting, smart player, solid passer. He's a big man who knows his business and can play his role. Overall he is a truly excellent role player.

As to the trade, there's no leverage, there's nothing here that Portland would be willing to give up a valuable piece over. They're paying out the $18mil regardless of whether Miles plays again, the only difference is whether it counts on their cap. There's simply not enough here for them to give up a valuable piece to their puzzle.

Actually, Who, I believe they do have something to gain. I believe that insurance is paying Miles' 18 mil as long as he is too hurt to play. If he's fit to play, Portland has to pay it. It's Miles who gets it either way, regardless of the source.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 01:27:02 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

What makes it that way is how much effort Portland made to keep Miles off the court.  You really think they want him back?    Pryzbilla is a vital piece to their team and a solid defensive player and rebounder.  With the uncertainty of Oden's health, this it more crazy for Portland to consider. Portland is already up to their eyeballs in 4s.  Most people here trash Scal's value anyway.  Nobody knows how Miles is going to pan out.  For a rising team, if they're smart, they'd probably rather eat the money than have Miles anywhere the great young team they've built.  They've already been down a dark road with Miles, Randolph, Telfair, etc.  Also, they'd be in some serious legal trouble trying to perpetuate Miles' disability to play with the insurance company by holding him out.  There is no good reason for Miles to be anywhere near Portland.  It's more curious what Danny's doing here since he and Pritchard have made such strong efforts to rid themselves of malcontents and criminals.

If you replace Miles with anybody else, at least it's feasible and something to discuss.  Adding Scal just makes it comical because every other trade proposal has him in it.  

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 01:54:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Actually, Who, I believe they do have something to gain. I believe that insurance is paying Miles' 18 mil as long as he is too hurt to play. If he's fit to play, Portland has to pay it. It's Miles who gets it either way, regardless of the source.
You sure that the insurance company doesn't pay anyway? He's already been declared unfit to play. I would have considered that contract finished with now.

You could very well be right. I don't know.