Author Topic: NaS - Untitled  (Read 10874 times)

Re: NaS - Untitled
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 11:39:27 AM »

Offline chrismihm

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
i can see that we will not be able to open your mind to coming around to this type of music - and yes, it is music.  however, i do find it disappointing that you decided to come into this thread and crap all over it in a condescending way when other people are clearly passionate about this type of music.  how would you feel if you started a thread and shookones wrote a post about how you were helping further urban decay just by supporting an artist who's music you like?  why do this at all?  just to stir up an argument? like it or not, nas is creative and talented.  you dont have to like his music, but to show a little respect to hip-hop and the original poster would have been appreciated.

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »

Offline nickdel1423

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
im a big nas fan but i dont know about this album, not one of his best but still better then whats being produced nowadays with the lil wayne and 50 cent's of the world. look out for king mathers and the detox coming out this year!

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 12:10:46 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Nas is one of my favorite rappers. I think him along with Big L are one of the best emcee's ever. About his new album - it was good, not as good as all his old albums, obviously, but it was a pretty good album.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 12:41:10 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
i can see that we will not be able to open your mind to coming around to this type of music - and yes, it is music.  however, i do find it disappointing that you decided to come into this thread and crap all over it in a condescending way when other people are clearly passionate about this type of music.  how would you feel if you started a thread and shookones wrote a post about how you were helping further urban decay just by supporting an artist who's music you like?  why do this at all?  just to stir up an argument? like it or not, nas is creative and talented.  you dont have to like his music, but to show a little respect to hip-hop and the original poster would have been appreciated.

Only problem with your argument is that my music doesn't promote any of those things.  If anybody said that, it wouldn't bother me.  It isn't true.
The fact that you seem to be bothered speaks for itself.  Since nobody can answer a simple question about the above masterpiece, maybe you ought to rethink your position.  The criteria is simple to me.  If I wouldn't want my kids listening to it, it isn't worth listening to.  I do not believe I've shown any disrespect to the original poster.

I asked two simple questions:

Please, shookones, give me an example of a word, a phrase, or a sentence ( )  in the bilge above that inspires you in a positive way.  What, exactly, does it inspire you to do or be?

I still anxiously await the answer.

There is nothing to respect about the above "song".  Nothing.  Least of all, the "artist  ;D"

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 12:44:27 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Best rap album of the summer in my opinion and probably the best one to come out since Lupe's in December.  Also, that song is just the intro to the album, before you judge him, try listening to the entire cd, or atleast try listening to the first single off the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DirBbksulqQ
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:50:14 PM by MBz »
do it

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 12:55:33 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I find it hard to like a compilation of "music" where when you buy the edited version there are no lyrics.

Don't buy the edited version then.  lol  If your looking for music where you don't have to hear swears then NaS probably isn't the guy for you.  But if you can get over that then his music might have a positive effect on you.

;D  Please enlighten me.  How exactly does it do that??  I listened to that little "song" full of crap above and it sounded like prototype hate-filled gangsta garbage.  There's nothing positive, amazing, or musical about compiling hate-filled racist sexist words in a nursery rhyme format and yelling them to synthesized bass.  

I guess to each his own.  I guess it would have a positive effect on me if my goal was to join a gang.

Sorry your right.  It probably won't have a positive effect on you.  Not if you listen to it with pre-concieved notions that all it is "gangsta garbage".  It would however have a significant effect on you if you grew up in that culture or lifestyle (which I am guessing you didn't) or if you cared at all or were interested in urban society.  He is talking about some of the main problems with the world today and he discusses many issues that a lot of people are too scared (or just don't care enough) to talk about.  If it's too harsh for you to listen too (which it is for a lot of people) then skip over it.

Also I bet you have never tried rapping huh?  Try screaming into a synthesized bass and then listen to how it sounds.  It's not as easy as you think.

Please, shookones, give me an example of a word, a phrase, or a sentence ( ;D)  in the bilge above that inspires you in a positive way.  What, exactly, does it inspire you to do or be?  I listened to it one more time and can't figure out what you're talking about.

As a musician, after listening to it twice, I perfected the fake "music" using the fake synthesised bass sound on my keyboard.  It's not hard.  It requires literally no musical skill.  I'll admit that it would take me a lot longer to do the hate-filled racist sexist anti-everything words in the standard nursery-rhyme format because my mind isn't wired to promote public mayhem.  (For the record, Shookones, I lived in and worked in an urban society for 10 years.  I saw how the "leaders" and "music" inspired the culture to perpetuate the hate, violence, and poverty.  Without it, the purveyors of hate are nothing.)  I took a huge pay cut to get my family the hell out of it.  But my mind got a huge pay raise.  Shouting and spitting hate into a mic, I guess, is above my musical skill level.  So I anxiously await how anything I heard above inspires any positive action.

I must be real old.  I remember when the Sugarhill Gang made listening to rap fun. 

Finkelskyhook, where can I get some of these songs, or at least the beats that you've mastered?  Since producers and beatmakers make millions, if you got some perfected beats I'd love to have them if you're not doing anything with them.  Even if I don't like your beats, it's not about my taste, you've got it mastered and I'll take them and earn the big bucks.  Have you really perfected a skill that could earn you millions, but instead are doing nothing with it because you just don't like the music?  You said you took a pay cut, so you must be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet or someone like that if you have to take a pay cut and using a million dollar skill still ain't worth your time.

Producing, promoting, or creating uplifting, inspirational garbage that perpetuates the continuation of urban decay, degragation of women, violence, drugs, racism, and mayhem is not something that my integrity would allow.  Like I said, it requires no creativity anyway.  No thanks. Mr Mihm, I can call the music fake because it is.  Note that no instruments are being used. It's all synthesized.  Thus it's fake.  The lyrics, however, while being horribly unimaginative, are all too real.

A person doesn't have to be Warren Buffett to take care of his family.  But he can't take care of his family from a casket or a prison cell.  Which is the very thing nas and his fellow dirtbags promote in their "music".   It's sad that you'd patronize somebody who gets wealthy promoting this trash.

It's amazing to me how you can be so judgemental and make such sweeping generalizations.  While I agree that a good amount of hip-hop/rap is hurtful to society in many ways, what I ike so much about nas' album is that he is trying to change exactly that.  He is trying to revolutionize hip hop and urban society.  Unfortunately he didn't have the effect that he wanted to because the record label execs care about one thing....MONEY.  Nas isn't nearly as marketable as all the racist-sexist rappers that you hear on the radio today.  But those rappers do not make up all of hip hop.  It's unfortunate that the casual rap listener (you) isn't exposed to all the positive rap out there.  That is why hip hop has a bad name.

I challenge you to listen to this album.  Here is the track list.  http://www.hiphopmusicdotcom.com/nas-untitled-track-list-production-credits.htmlYou can just type them into youtube.  It may not have a positive effect on you but maybe you can recognize the effect that it could have on others.

By the way I am still waiting for you rap.  Or your beat. ;)  

When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 01:14:51 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
Producing, promoting, or creating uplifting, inspirational garbage that perpetuates the continuation of urban decay, degragation of women, violence, drugs, racism, and mayhem is not something that my integrity would allow.  Like I said, it requires no creativity anyway.  No thanks. Mr Mihm, I can call the music fake because it is.  Note that no instruments are being used. It's all synthesized.  Thus it's fake.  The lyrics, however, while being horribly unimaginative, are all too real.

A person doesn't have to be Warren Buffett to take care of his family.  But he can't take care of his family from a casket or a prison cell.  Which is the very thing nas and his fellow dirtbags promote in their "music".   It's sad that you'd patronize somebody who gets wealthy promoting this trash.

First of all, I do not think that because most rap utilizes digital and synthesized sounds negates it's authenticity.  Do you listen to CDs or tapes?  Tapes or records?  Cds are digital replications of the recorded message.  Does that fact detract from a piece of music you are listening to?  I whole heartedly prefer real, live instruments over synthesizers, but there is a world of music that is created artfully aand arranged thoughtfully through a digital medium.

Second, your question for an intelligent quote to be pulled from the sample song oringinally posted is a triky one.  It seems to be a strong dis towards 50 cent and Nas's rap contemporaries.  That said, most of the quotes are about the rap bravado and "i'm bettter than you" attitude which is what the whole genre was built on.  Maybe that is at the heart of your dislike for the music.   That being said, i think the fact that Nas asks to "bring back Arsenio" is, in a way, asking for whhaat you are askinng for...a little more realness, a little less hate, and a lot more simplicity.   Maybe.

Thirdly, what kind of music do  you like to listen to/create?  Not for debate, just curiosity.
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 01:23:58 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCGK5z_h7jc

How does this not impress you?

I get goosebumps when I hear this song
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I took a short peek at NaS' lyrics.
None of them seem to me to be run-of-
the-mill gangsta rap, not in the least.
I might argue to the contrary, I'll say.

Here's the link:

http://www.lyricsmania.com/lyrics/nas_lyrics_2971/untitled_lyrics_80457/

I really don't think cursin' is all
that bad. Sure, we don't do it in
front of children, because they'll
learn soon enough anyway.
But words are not dangerous, IMO.
It's the people that take the words
and twist them to fit whatever belief
they may have that are dangerous.

Just my two cents...

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 02:04:38 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
But on a positive side, I think Obama provides
Hope - and challenges minds
Of all races and colours to erase the hate
And try and love one another, so many political snakes
We in need of a break, I'm thinkin' can I trust this brotha
But will he keep it way real?
Every innocent [edited] in jail - gets out on appeal
When he wins - will he really care still?
I feel

While I'm presuming this is simply a quote of Nas' lyrics, let's please avoid any sort of profanity/not commonly accepted racial slur-type phrases.  Thanks. -sw
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 06:07:09 PM by Steve Weinman »

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 02:05:50 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Good post, miraclejohan.

I'd like to see a lot more of all of those things both in the urban communities and in this genre.  I wasn't willing to put my children at risk waiting for it to happen.   Because whether they intend it or not, (I believe they do) the words and actions of most urban community leaders and rappers promote are anything but positive.  I also believe that most of the people listening to this type of product aren't smart enough to sift through the lyrics to find any positive message that the artist might be trying to put forth.  

Maybe it takes all of the profanity and racist terminology to sell the product to get the positive message out?  Seems like an oxymoron to me.  I'm not willing to put myself through all of the hate to get to the positive message.

But your post was excellent and appreciated.  

I really don't think cursin' is all
that bad. Sure, we don't do it in
front of children, because they'll
learn soon enough anyway.
But words are not dangerous, IMO.
It's the people that take the words
and twist them to fit whatever belief
they may have that are dangerous.

Amager, did you happen to look behind Mr Nas and see who his audience is?
The sort of look like children to me.  Mr Nas doesn't have any trouble cussing in front of them.  Think they're getting Mr Nas' deep imaginative positive message?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 02:26:11 PM by Finkelskyhook »

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 02:23:01 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum

I'd like to see a lot more of all of those things both in the urban communities and in this genre.  I wasn't willing to put my children at risk waiting for it to happen.  

But that's just it.  There are so many other rappers out there who are trying to put out a positive message and uplift their community.  But they don't get heard and as a result hip hop gets a bad name.  We need to promote these guys and give them a voice on the national stage where they can do some good.  Imagine if we had Common, Talib Kweli, and Nas all over the radio instead of Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy, and Soulja Boy ::)

Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea how we can do that.  Aisde from having this discussion I guess.

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 02:24:25 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
First, it's "Amager", not "Amanger"  ;)
Or "ACF" for short, if you like.

I really don't know who NaS' audience is.
Sure, some may be children.
I really don't know.
I'm merely referring to his lyrics.

Do you remember how the world reacted to
a certain Elvis Aaaron Presley?
Where would (rock) music be today without
him? I'm not comparing Elvis to NaS, I'm
just saying it's foolish to think that one
man can be so very bad for the youth.

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 03:06:06 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
First, it's "Amager", not "Amanger"  ;)
Or "ACF" for short, if you like.

I really don't know who NaS' audience is.
Sure, some may be children.
I really don't know.
I'm merely referring to his lyrics.

Do you remember how the world reacted to
a certain Elvis Aaaron Presley?
Where would (rock) music be today without
him? I'm not comparing Elvis to NaS, I'm
just saying it's foolish to think that one
man can be so very bad for the youth.

Sorry about the misspelling.  I corrected it.

One man can be that bad when you look at the audience behind him. 

I do remember the Elvis hysteria and the Beatles as well.  I will say you're reaching if you think "I wanna hold your hand" or "Return to Sender"  had the kind of anti-everything social message that gangsta rappers bring to a much younger and less educated audience than Elvis did.   

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008, 03:07:42 PM »

Offline CountChockula

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
I just saw Nas kill it at the Rock the Bells tour here in NYC. Honestly I've been a fan of Nas since MC Search's "Back to the grill" but I have to say even though he did put a lot of raw emotion in the performance it wasn't my favorite part of the night. A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul and Redman & Method Man all put on a better show. Anyways I agree with you, there is good music out there and positive messages in Hip-Hop but you have to look for it, the youth are being spoon fed crap daily on MTV and BET. BRING BACK YO MTV RAPS!

I'd like to see a lot more of all of those things both in the urban communities and in this genre.  I wasn't willing to put my children at risk waiting for it to happen.  

But that's just it.  There are so many other rappers out there who are trying to put out a positive message and uplift their community.  But they don't get heard and as a result hip hop gets a bad name.  We need to promote these guys and give them a voice on the national stage where they can do some good.  Imagine if we had Common, Talib Kweli, and Nas all over the radio instead of Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy, and Soulja Boy ::)

Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea how we can do that.  Aisde from having this discussion I guess.