Author Topic: CelticsBlog Fantasy League for 2008/2009 Season  (Read 16947 times)

Re: NBA.com CelticsBlog Fantasy League for 2008/2009 Season
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 06:38:19 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
So far, kwhit10, crownsy, emperor young, gainesville celtic, kcatthestripe, hpantazo and myself are all in.

Who else wants it? 5 more spots up for grabs.

Maestro -- sounds like a fair # of people are interested in doing the league of Yahoo... I don't mind one way or the other but Yahoo would be easier for me (since our Keeper League voted to go to Yahoo after probs with NBA.com).

But it might help get some folks like KW10

Hmm it's something I'll definitely look into, then the likes of Roy and kw10 may be on board.

If anyone had a team on both Yahoo! and NBA.com last year, let me know what the similarities and differences are if possible. Thanks.

Re: NBA.com CelticsBlog Fantasy League for 2008/2009 Season
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 07:00:29 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
If anyone had a team on both Yahoo! and NBA.com last year, let me know what the similarities and differences are if possible. Thanks.

Also, there 5 more spots up for grabs for whoever wants in.

CelticsBlog Fantasy League for 2008/2009 Season (5 spots left)
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2008, 09:16:38 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
To reiterate - If anyone had a team on both Yahoo! *and* NBA.com last year, let me know what the similarities and differences are if possible. There's a chance I will switch it to Yahoo! if it keeps the interest. Thanks.

Re: CelticsBlog Fantasy League for 2008/2009 Season (5 spots left)
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2008, 10:04:10 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
To reiterate - If anyone had a team on both Yahoo! *and* NBA.com last year, let me know what the similarities and differences are if possible. There's a chance I will switch it to Yahoo! if it keeps the interest. Thanks.

Yea I actually did, in Yahoo, you could drag the players on your roster to put them on the bench or vice versa (e.g. move Pierce from SF to Bench with a simple drag rather than a few clicks). Also, I don't exactly recall, but the free agency of picking up players is easier to look up in Yahoo if I'm not mistaken. Also if I updated my lineup for the week in NBA.com, it's changed itself back automatically a few times (maybe I'm just not used to it, I doni't know).

Anyway I think someone (I don't remember who now) started a fantasy league on yahoo as well, so I'm sure we can find plenty more players closer to the season on both sites.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2008, 10:08:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Yea I actually did, in Yahoo, you could drag the players on your roster to put them on the bench or vice versa (e.g. move Pierce from SF to Bench with a simple drag rather than a few clicks). Also, I don't exactly recall, but the free agency of picking up players is easier to look up in Yahoo if I'm not mistaken. Also if I updated my lineup for the week in NBA.com, it's changed itself back automatically a few times (maybe I'm just not used to it, I doni't know).

Anyway I think someone (I don't remember who now) started a fantasy league on yahoo as well, so I'm sure we can find plenty more players closer to the season on both sites.

The only drawback to Yahoo was the lack of free real time score keeping. 

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2008, 10:56:34 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man

I never used it...does it really help?
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 11:01:53 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I never used it...does it really help?

It doesn't help at all.  Just a nice feature to see where you stand while the games are playing.

NBA.com had a similar function that was free, but still annoying to use. 

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
so consensus is that everyone would prefer to do a yahoo league?

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I would.

I think yahoo is easier to navigate, with it's "drag and drop" interface.  I also just like the look of yahoo better; I think it's easier to find what you're looking for, it's easier to make roster changes, etc.  The one area where yahoo was leaps and bounds better than NBA.com, though, was in the draft.  I've never had an issue with a yahoo draft, and I've probably been in 30 of them or more.  I've been in exactly one NBA.com draft, and it will be the last one.

If you do switch to a yahoo league, sign me up.  (Head-to-head, no game limits, please.  I'd also suggest capping roster moves /freezing the lineups when the playoffs start to prevent wholesale lineup changes in the playoffs -- I think that's essentially cheating -- but I think that may be pushing it.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 12:25:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I would.

I think yahoo is easier to navigate, with it's "drag and drop" interface.  I also just like the look of yahoo better; I think it's easier to find what you're looking for, it's easier to make roster changes, etc.  The one area where yahoo was leaps and bounds better than NBA.com, though, was in the draft.  I've never had an issue with a yahoo draft, and I've probably been in 30 of them or more.  I've been in exactly one NBA.com draft, and it will be the last one.

If you do switch to a yahoo league, sign me up.  (Head-to-head, no game limits, please.  I'd also suggest capping roster moves /freezing the lineups when the playoffs start to prevent wholesale lineup changes in the playoffs -- I think that's essentially cheating -- but I think that may be pushing it.)

You can add me as well if it is on Yahoo.

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

I would.

Sounds good to me, I think yahoo is probably the one I'll opt for this season then. You say no game limits - what exactly does that mean? I'm not familiar with the yahoo concept, I had a yahoo league a few years ago and either they've changed the format since then or I can't remember what it was like. Head-to-head I assume is the same as on NBA.com (8 categories), yes?

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I would.

Sounds good to me, I think yahoo is probably the one I'll opt for this season then. You say no game limits - what exactly does that mean? I'm not familiar with the yahoo concept, I had a yahoo league a few years ago and either they've changed the format since then or I can't remember what it was like. Head-to-head I assume is the same as on NBA.com (8 categories), yes?

There are multiple ways you can customize your league.

One is head-to-head vs. points-based.  Head-to-head is, as you allude to, the system where GMs are matched up against each other on a weekly basis, and compete to win in various categories.  By default, there are 9 categories in yahoo (points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, turnovers, FG%, threes made, FT%) but you can add or subtract other options.

Some leagues prefer "game limits".  Let's say your league allows you to have the following setup each night:

C, C, PF, SF, F, SG, PG, G, Util, Util.

Under a game limits system, you can only play each "center" slot 82 games per year, meaning a maximum of 164 games.  Under a "no game limits" system, you can rotate in and out, and can have two centers playing literally every night of the season.  I think this rewards activity and drafting skill (as depth becomes important).  I think it's much more fun, and quite frankly don't understand why some people like them.  I think they suck all the fun out of fantasy basketball.

In terms of my suggestion to freeze rosters when the playoffs start, the problem I've seen in several of my leagues is that players will go through an entire season with a fairly set roster.  Then, when its the Finals, they'll start rotating in new "free agents" to maximize the number of games they play in that series.  I think it's kind of cheap, and again, takes the fun out of it.  I'm a big believer in "riding the horses that got you there", and I don't like the "win at all costs" mentality.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2008, 01:00:16 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Right ok, by the sounds of it the Yahoo format is exactly the same as the NBA.com one, only without the glitches (which, for the record, I never encountered).

I'll make it a Yahoo league then, which means kwhit10, crownsy, emperor young, gainesville celtic, kcatthestripe, hpantazo and myself are all in along with the addition of roy, wdleehi and kw10 as it's now been moved to Yahoo.

That makes 10 players, i think a number between 10-14 is ideal, what are everyone else's thoughts on that matter?

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2008, 02:03:34 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Maestro just making sure I got on the list... I think you had me but do you want to recap who's in thus far? 
Sounds like with the move to yahoo roy wdleehi and kwit are in.

It'll be fun to see how things fare when the drafting counts for real :)

Ill agree that changing rosters in nba was more cumbersome than it sounds on yahoo.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2008, 03:14:51 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Maestro just making sure I got on the list... I think you had me but do you want to recap who's in thus far? 
Sounds like with the move to yahoo roy wdleehi and kwit are in.

It'll be fun to see how things fare when the drafting counts for real :)

Ill agree that changing rosters in nba was more cumbersome than it sounds on yahoo.

Yep, you're on there. The participants thus far are kwhit10, crownsy, emperor young, gainesville celtic, kcatthestripe, hpantazo and myself along with the addition of roy, wdleehi and kw10 as it's now been moved to Yahoo.