Author Topic: CelticsBlog Fantasy League for 2008/2009 Season  (Read 16900 times)

CelticsBlog Fantasy League for 2008/2009 Season
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I'm going to create a CelticsBlog League at some point over the next few weeks over at Yahoo!, so I'm starting a thread now to garner some attention prior to this.

The basic format for those of you who have participated before is as follows:

• Head-to-Head scoring system which will mean frequently checking in on and making changes to your team - once a week or fortnightly wont cut it. It will also mean being able to add/drop players as much as you want whenever you want.
  • 8 Categories - Points, Assists, Rebounds, 3's, FG%, FT%, Blocks, Steals.
  • No trade veto's based on the fact that only serious participants will be involved.

This is not a keeper league. It will be for the upcoming season, looking for around 10-14 players to participate.

If you're interested, reply in the thread or PM me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:00:32 PM by celticmaestro »

Re: NBA.com CelticsBlog Fantasy League for 2008/2009 Season
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 11:31:07 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Are you sold on the NBA.com thing?  After the disaster my league had over there last year (which botched our entire draft), I don't think I'd want to participate in another league over there.  Yahoo, though, I'd be down with.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Are you sold on the NBA.com thing?  After the disaster my league had over there last year (which botched our entire draft), I don't think I'd want to participate in another league over there.  Yahoo, though, I'd be down with.

I've been doing it on NBA.com now for 2 years, and Yahoo! 2 years before that, and if I were to compare the two I would say NBA.com wins hands-down.

Not sure what the problem was last year that you guys had, but I haven't had a single issue with it.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 11:36:21 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I've been doing it on NBA.com now for 2 years, and Yahoo! 2 years before that, and if I were to compare the two I would say NBA.com wins hands-down.

Not sure what the problem was last year that you guys had, but I haven't had a single issue with it.

It was a disaster.  It wouldn't let us draft, it drafted the wrong players for us, connectivity problems, etc.  Pretty much, the worst fantasy sports experience I've had.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 11:38:11 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

It was a disaster.  It wouldn't let us draft, it drafted the wrong players for us, connectivity problems, etc.  Pretty much, the worst fantasy sports experience I've had.

That sucks, but like I said, I've never had a problem with it. Maybe because the most participants I've been in in a draft was around 12, which is an ideal number I think. If you're willing to give it another go then you'd be an asset.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:51:19 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
For whatever it's worth I've used CBSSportsline's system for 8 or 9 years for a roto league. They charge $100-$120 for the league but it's outstanding.  The cost is marginal if you split it up (thr trick is actually getting everyone to pay).  You definitely do get what you pay for though.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
count me in
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:54:39 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I want in

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 12:11:29 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
For whatever it's worth I've used CBSSportsline's system for 8 or 9 years for a roto league. They charge $100-$120 for the league but it's outstanding.  The cost is marginal if you split it up (thr trick is actually getting everyone to pay).  You definitely do get what you pay for though.

Hmm, I'll pass on paying to play unless it's some form of gambling where I'd win money back. So are you in Redz?

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 12:16:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Hmm, I'll pass on paying to play unless it's some form of gambling where I'd win money back. So are you in Redz?

I dunno...I run my roto league and it's a pretty intense league (14 years running with keepers, salaries, contracts, college drafts...etc).

Basically I don't want to commit to another heavy league.  Unless this is a light one.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I dunno...I run my roto league and it's a pretty intense league (14 years running with keepers, salaries, contracts, college drafts...etc).

Basically I don't want to commit to another heavy league.  Unless this is a light one.

Don't forget the ever-so-intense staff league.

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 12:21:43 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

Don't forget the ever-so-intense staff league.

Depends on what you mean by light? Trade offers. Followed by more trade offers. Followed by head-to-head match-ups which result in ultimate bragging rights.

Yeah, heavy-ish I guess.

What about you Roy, still not Keane (see what I did there?) on NBA.com?

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 12:25:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

What about you Roy, still not Keane (see what I did there?) on NBA.com?

Love the pun.  I probably won't be joining; I just didn't have much fun with the NBA.com league last year, from the initial draft to the setup afterward.  Last year I was in something like seven leagues, and this year I've decided to cut out the ones which I didn't enjoy (which means, for me, no points leagues, no game limits leagues, and no non-yahoo leagues.)

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 12:27:19 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Our Keeper League's inaugural season went with NBA.com and people were so frustrated with it (esp. the stat tabulation, etc) that we're moving to Yahoo --- or about 2/3 of the league will quit  :(

I was alway more active on the IGTC Celtics list but have REALLY ENJOYED the fake CB draft, and it llooks liek some of the same folks might join ya Maestro, so if you need another person I'd be interested...

I've not played H2H but have been looking to try it out... so like i said if you need one i'll give it a go, i've got a 15 round draft board already  ;D
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 12:34:53 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Ok so crownsy, emperor young, gainesville celtic and myself are on board.

about 8-10 more players and i'll set it up in due course.