Author Topic: So I went to buy the new GZA/Genius album today...  (Read 16464 times)

Re: So I went to buy the new GZA/Genius album today...
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2008, 09:46:57 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

this is smoking hot!!!! gr8 work

I wish I could take credit for this, but I stole it from a poster on the wutangcorp.com message board.

one of my fav. lyracists of all time is canibus... very underrated imo (though he had a very weak stretch when he tried to fued with eminem, and eminem ignored him) I love hip hop that makes you think and really listen to the words, and GZA fits that bill as do many others

i like canibus as well.  i think the thing that did him in, as far as mainstream is concerned, is his extrememly weak first album.  he was coming off crazy mixtapes and appearances, and humiliating ll fool j.  if his first album was hot, as it should have been, he would be more mainstream i believe. i really like him and his lyrics are insane.

Really?  I thought Canibus's first album was very good, way better than any of his other efforts (I'm refering to actual album's, not mixtapes).  It's not start to finish great, but several very good tracks on it.  If you think that album was weak, what do you think of his other efforts, because I think all his other albums seem to be several levels below his first album.  Get Retarted, Niggometry, Second Round K.O., What's Going On, I Honor U (radio appeal but with cool Canibus style lyrics), How We Roll, all good tracks I think.  I still play this album every now and then.

at best, i think the album was sub-par.  like i said previsouly, he had all this momentum and hype, coming off of crazy mixtapes, appearance, and humiliating LL.  i think choosing wyclef to produce his first album was not wise.  although i like wyclef, i dont think wyclefs style blends with canibus'.  i would have liked someone whose beats are a little harder.

of his albums, and not mixtapes, i think both mic club and rip the jacker are both alot better than his debut joint.

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2008, 12:15:33 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

this is smoking hot!!!! gr8 work

I wish I could take credit for this, but I stole it from a poster on the wutangcorp.com message board.

one of my fav. lyracists of all time is canibus... very underrated imo (though he had a very weak stretch when he tried to fued with eminem, and eminem ignored him) I love hip hop that makes you think and really listen to the words, and GZA fits that bill as do many others

i like canibus as well.  i think the thing that did him in, as far as mainstream is concerned, is his extrememly weak first album.  he was coming off crazy mixtapes and appearances, and humiliating ll fool j.  if his first album was hot, as it should have been, he would be more mainstream i believe. i really like him and his lyrics are insane.

Really?  I thought Canibus's first album was very good, way better than any of his other efforts (I'm refering to actual album's, not mixtapes).  It's not start to finish great, but several very good tracks on it.  If you think that album was weak, what do you think of his other efforts, because I think all his other albums seem to be several levels below his first album.  Get Retarted, Niggometry, Second Round K.O., What's Going On, I Honor U (radio appeal but with cool Canibus style lyrics), How We Roll, all good tracks I think.  I still play this album every now and then.

at best, i think the album was sub-par.  like i said previsouly, he had all this momentum and hype, coming off of crazy mixtapes, appearance, and humiliating LL.  i think choosing wyclef to produce his first album was not wise.  although i like wyclef, i dont think wyclefs style blends with canibus'.  i would have liked someone whose beats are a little harder.

of his albums, and not mixtapes, i think both mic club and rip the jacker are both alot better than his debut joint.

yeah his albums have been up and down, most have a few good tracks but then a lot of random stuff that isn't solid - I actually liked patriots on the 1st album - I thought the combination of free, pras and canibus worked - and I liked - ***ometry, it was a smart rap - and I honor you showed a different side of him...

c true hollywood stories is probably one of the worst albums I own - my guess is he ran out of money and couldn't pay people to do the hooks, because there's spots where he tried to sing and it is just downright awful - hate u 2 and love u 2 may be the two worst rap songs of all time...

2000 b.c. was ok, a few good songs, but again a lot of filler and useless stuff

rip the jacker I really liked, especially the last track which sounds like a freestyle, might not be, but it feels like 10 minutes of constant flow, very cool track

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2008, 12:47:27 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
I play online WuChess. Same ID as here.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2008, 01:04:10 PM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I'm was so glad when i saw this post. I am one of the biggest WU fans that ever lived. It almost brought a tear to my eye seeing all the wu love. I used to get upset when wu would get no recognition but I have gotten to the point where I like it better that way now. Hip hop is so horrible now that i don’t even want wu tang to be compared to it.

Now, if you guys havnt yet make sure you grab the new Brooklyn Zu CD. 12'oclock represents. Its definitely the best wu affiliate CD in a real long time. Also, Razors ladder is real good. New rza blows, new Cappadonna is garbage. I haven’t hear GZA yet but will tonight and can't wait.
But Brooklyn Zu go get it today!

For local MC's you gotta check out Slaine (of Special teamz & LA Coka Nostra) He is one of the best MC's on the planet plus from the bean
Green 18!

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2008, 01:25:56 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

For local MC's you gotta check out Slaine (of Special teamz & LA Coka Nostra) He is one of the best MC's on the planet plus from the bean

good call - are special teamz still around? - I like La Coka Nostra, I was a big Lordz of Brooklyn fan and its nice that a few of those guys are involved with it
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2008, 01:32:38 PM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
Stecial Teamz sterotypes cd just came out this year and It's real good
Green 18!

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2008, 01:33:50 PM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
Oh also the new ninth prince came out last week and that [dang] good too.
Green 18!