Author Topic: So I went to buy the new GZA/Genius album today...  (Read 16463 times)

Re: So I went to buy the new GZA/Genius album today...
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 02:43:09 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
bdm860, you're right about 50 Cent/G-Unit being re-categorized into the Pop section. Basically all mainstream hip-hop nowadays should be categorized in the Pop section, underground rappers needs to be heard.

About the new GZA album, I haven't got it yet but plan on doing so this week. GZA and RZA has always been my favorite members of Wu-Tang, really glad they are still rappin'.

TP for ya.

Yes i'll co-sign that just put Jedi Mind Trick at the top of the list.

Here's Jedi Featuring GZA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eaTNnN1Ph8
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »

Offline Geekneck

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I thought the New Gza album was decent, but not really all that good. And i'm a huge fan of the WU. Ghostface is the only dude that's been consistent since they dropped wu-tang forever. Meth's last album was a banger but nobdy checked for it. Raekwon is hit or miss, but that G-hide song he just dropped is a head-nodder. If ya'll like real hip-hop like the Wu check my man Blacastan out...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XHPEvZWr1Qk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XHPEvZWr1Qk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I am not a fan of Eastcoast rap. Westside till I die!

If you're not a fan of Wu you're not a rap fan, i don't care where you live.

Darklord, i'd love to look through your cds and itunes, we have a similar music taste - love canibus, jedi, 7l and esoteric.  i actually went to rock the bells the past 2 years and have started to dig super natural, he's just incredible.  just grabbed 2 of his cds (s.p.i.t. and the lost freestyle files), both of which are awesome and i highly reccomend.

p.s.
how about some love for inspectah? he's underrated.  uncontrolled substance is one of my favorite cds.

wow, there's a lot of crossover with us, we should start a new blog =) either of you going up to manchester to see 7l/es next week?
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 03:07:50 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
anyone playing online WU chess?

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 03:41:38 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Darklord, i'd love to look through your cds and itunes, we have a similar music taste - love canibus, jedi, 7l and esoteric.  i actually went to rock the bells the past 2 years and have started to dig super natural, he's just incredible.  just grabbed 2 of his cds (s.p.i.t. and the lost freestyle files), both of which are awesome and i highly reccomend.

p.s.
how about some love for inspectah? he's underrated.  uncontrolled substance is one of my favorite cds.

wow, there's a lot of crossover with us, we should start a new blog =) either of you going up to manchester to see 7l/es next week?

no, im not.  i wanted to try to get to the rza show at the middle east, but i dont think i will be able to

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

i would if you didnt have to pay to play

speaking of wu chess:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/46513-rza-wins-chess-competition
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:04:21 PM by dark_lord »

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

p.s.

thats cool we got the same taste....hey, im a star wars geek, but i got flava ;D

inspectah deck/rebel ins is my fav wu tang member.  i think a lot of people sleep on his lyrical ability bc his solo albums are not always up to par with his ability.  his verse from triumph is one of the illest verses ever in rap, imo

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 03:58:37 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
i just go thru the gza album and am very happy and impressed.  it had that gritty wu-tang feel with gza's flare for intellectual rhymes.  i like it alot better than the recent rza album.

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »

Offline Geekneck

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Yeah Rebel INs murdered Triumph. Ghost is holdin it down though, and Cuban Linx 2 looks promising.

RZA stinks now, so does nas. Rza's last single was a day late and a dollar short. There is already at least a half of dozen artist that sampled that song. And the beat for paper plates is one of the worst rza beats ever.

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 04:10:03 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Cuban Linx 2 looks promising.

i got rae's cuban linx 2 samle mixtape.  this album should be dope!

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey

I was very happy to find out about this site so I wanted to pass it along...

Pollstar.com

it's a great site for every show (big and small) going on across the country...

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 04:29:35 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

Pollstar.com

thanks J, I've come across it before, but didn't realize its scope, its now on my faves!

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 07:04:49 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Pollstar.com

thanks J, I've come across it before, but didn't realize its scope, its now on my faves!

Nice, I thought a few here in CB nation would enjoy its powers ;)

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 12:06:12 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

this is smoking hot!!!! gr8 work

I wish I could take credit for this, but I stole it from a poster on the wutangcorp.com message board.

one of my fav. lyracists of all time is canibus... very underrated imo (though he had a very weak stretch when he tried to fued with eminem, and eminem ignored him) I love hip hop that makes you think and really listen to the words, and GZA fits that bill as do many others

i like canibus as well.  i think the thing that did him in, as far as mainstream is concerned, is his extrememly weak first album.  he was coming off crazy mixtapes and appearances, and humiliating ll fool j.  if his first album was hot, as it should have been, he would be more mainstream i believe. i really like him and his lyrics are insane.

Really?  I thought Canibus's first album was very good, way better than any of his other efforts (I'm refering to actual album's, not mixtapes).  It's not start to finish great, but several very good tracks on it.  If you think that album was weak, what do you think of his other efforts, because I think all his other albums seem to be several levels below his first album.  Get Retarted, Niggometry, Second Round K.O., What's Going On, I Honor U (radio appeal but with cool Canibus style lyrics), How We Roll, all good tracks I think.  I still play this album every now and then.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 12:35:48 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Speaking of underrated rappers, Big L have got to be the most underrated of all-time, I even think he's one of the best of all-time. I hear all this chitter-chatter about Biggie, Jay-Z, Tupac, and whoever, but no one ever mentions Big L. Just want to put that out there because Big L gets really overlooked. One of my favorites.

I honestly believe that mainstream hip-hop is dead. I can only name a few good ones in mainstream rap and those are Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West (he's okay), Eminem, and Snoop Dogg (not as good as he used to be). I hope more underground hip-hop groups or rappers get more recognition.

(profanity in video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH774jH3elk

PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6