Author Topic: So I went to buy the new GZA/Genius album today...  (Read 16462 times)

Re: So I went to buy the new GZA/Genius album today...
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 06:51:06 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Wu-Tang Clan's Method Man has said hip-hop music is not as good as it was in the '90s.

Method Man, real name Clifford Smith, told New York reporters: "The music was way more grounded than it is today. Today, you don't feel the movement. Back then, you felt the movement.

"I mean, the whole hip-hop movement. Like when Wu-Tang Clan came in, it was like regardless of where we went, people knew who we were.

"Or if we were in a new city, there was one person who knew who we was, and that would spread to ten more people, and so on and so forth, up until it was, 'Oh, you ain't up on that Wu-Tang stuff? Oh you ain't down homie!'"

He continued: "Same thing with Cash Money, No Limit, Death Row - it goes on and on, all these movements. You don't have that anymore."

Hip-Hop is dead. Lucky for me, I have 35 genres of music in my iTunes to go with 12,000+ songs. Eclectic indeed.

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 06:53:25 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
And since we're on Wu-Tang, how about we make this the new logo for our man Kevin Garnett for whenever someone refers to him as KG?  Just combine a lil Masta Killa with a lil GZA and there you have it.  I like it, I don't know how the rest of the Celtics fans will feel about it though.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
And since we're on Wu-Tang, how about we make this the new logo for our man Kevin Garnett for whenever someone refers to him as KG?  Just combine a lil Masta Killa with a lil GZA and there you have it.  I like it, I don't know how the rest of the Celtics fans will feel about it though.

i like it. can't really go wrong with wu and kg tho can you?

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 12:56:39 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Hey dark lord, did you ever pick up The Almighty Original S.I.N. album? Couldn't find that in any stores by me so I had to order it online.  I like it, I think it's very similar to the Wisemen album that came out last year, not as good as The Great Migration album (which is the best Wu-Affiliate album ever in my opinion, not including Gravediggaz).

of course i copped that album!!!  it is really good.  its refreshing to hear some quality hip hop for an entire album.  even within underground hip hop these days, it is difficult to find an entire album u feel throughout.  often you like 5 songs, and find ur self skipping tracks.  this album is good enough to put in and listen from beginning to end without skipping.

this is smoking hot!!!! gr8 work

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 01:12:02 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Wu-Tang Clan's Method Man has said hip-hop music is not as good as it Method Man, real name Clifford Smith, told New York reporters: "The music was way more grounded than it is today. Today, you don't feel the movement. Back then, you felt the movement.

"I mean, the whole hip-hop movement. Like when Wu-Tang Clan came in, it was was in the '90s.

like regardless of where we went, people knew who we were.

"Or if we were in a new city, there was one person who knew who we was, and that would spread to ten more people, and so on and so forth, up until it was, 'Oh, you ain't up on that Wu-Tang stuff? Oh you ain't down homie!'"

He continued: "Same thing with Cash Money, No Limit, Death Row - it goes on and on, all these movements. You don't have that anymore."

Hip-Hop is dead. Lucky for me, I have 35 genres of music in my iTunes to go with 12,000+ songs. Eclectic indeed.

hip hop ain't dead, you got Kanye West, one of the most original lyracists in a long long time stepping up, and now within the next month the new group the East Coast Avengers are gonna hit the market, can't wait - already starting to cause controversy (which I won't go into due to political nature) but google them, check the new track, I'm excited for them
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 01:13:56 PM »

Offline BigThreePeat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
This thread disappointed me, because I thought it was going to be about Phil Collins.   I read it too quickly and said to myself, "Genesis has a new album?"

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 01:18:20 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Wu-Tang Clan's Method Man has said hip-hop music is not as good as it Method Man, real name Clifford Smith, told New York reporters: "The music was way more grounded than it is today. Today, you don't feel the movement. Back then, you felt the movement.

"I mean, the whole hip-hop movement. Like when Wu-Tang Clan came in, it was was in the '90s.

hip hop ain't dead, you got Kanye West, one of the most original lyracists in a long long time stepping up, and now within the next month the new group the East Coast Avengers are gonna hit the market, can't wait - already starting to cause controversy (which I won't go into due to political nature) but google them, check the new track, I'm excited for them

"how can hip hop be dead, when wu-tang is forever"  -rza

east coast avengers is cool. i dig 7L and esoteric.  i like the whole jedi mind tricks/army of the pharoahs click.

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 01:33:59 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

"how can hip hop be dead, when wu-tang is forever"  -rza

east coast avengers is cool. i dig 7L and esoteric.  i like the whole jedi mind tricks/army of the pharoahs click.

one of my fav. lyracists of all time is canibus... very underrated imo (though he had a very weak stretch when he tried to fued with eminem, and eminem ignored him) I love hip hop that makes you think and really listen to the words, and GZA fits that bill as do many others

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 01:34:44 PM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
The reason it isn't in the stores is because there is a theory that only younger people are buying CD"s.  Which may be closer to the truth.  GZA fans are likely to be in their 30's at this point, and tend to not purchase hip hop any longer....as most people from that generation have probably given up on hip hop!!
It's funny, the people I'd like to listen to are classified is "not relevant"  like De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang, and the likes...  it would be nice if hip hop music that was promoted in stores and on radio wasn't aimed towards zombies and people who don't listen to the words, they prefer music with good beats that you can dance to while in a club.  It's funny that Hip hop is the only brand of music that doesn't challenge the listener to think any longer.  I have my theories on why Elton John can make music forever, and Chuck D is put to sleep... but that's on another Board!!

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 01:39:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
one of my fav. lyracists of all time is canibus... very underrated imo (though he had a very weak stretch when he tried to fued with eminem, and eminem ignored him) I love hip hop that makes you think and really listen to the words, and GZA fits that bill as do many others

i like canibus as well.  i think the thing that did him in, as far as mainstream is concerned, is his extrememly weak first album.  he was coming off crazy mixtapes and appearances, and humiliating ll fool j.  if his first album was hot, as it should have been, he would be more mainstream i believe. i really like him and his lyrics are insane.

"who the hell wanna battle, the ill mathmatical, my mf'ing brain is IBM compatible"  -canibus, off of dj clue.

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 01:49:48 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
The reason it isn't in the stores is because there is a theory that only younger people are buying CD"s.  Which may be closer to the truth.  GZA fans are likely to be in their 30's at this point, and tend to not purchase hip hop any longer....as most people from that generation have probably given up on hip hop!!
It's funny, the people I'd like to listen to are classified is "not relevant"  like De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang, and the likes...  it would be nice if hip hop music that was promoted in stores and on radio wasn't aimed towards zombies and people who don't listen to the words, they prefer music with good beats that you can dance to while in a club.  It's funny that Hip hop is the only brand of music that doesn't challenge the listener to think any longer.  I have my theories on why Elton John can make music forever, and Chuck D is put to sleep... but that's on another Board!!

you may very well be right, in that, does it have a beat I can bump is more important than what are these cats saying...

I really enjoyed Chuck D's solo effort the Diary of Mr. Chuck, and Public Enemy is the group that got me interested in hip hop (thus the 911 in my sn) - groups/artists like Gangstarr, De La, Tribe, Spearhead, Apathy, Celph Titled, Slick Rick, 7L/ES, La Coka Nostra, Immortal Technique, Talib Kweli et will always seem to take a backseat to the guys with loud bass and beats you can move to - some guys have transcended that though, JayZ, Nas, even Biggie and 2Pac, imo... but yeah I will always love love love the real hip hop and I hope it never dies

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 02:07:12 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
one of my fav. lyracists of all time is canibus... very underrated imo (though he had a very weak stretch when he tried to fued with eminem, and eminem ignored him)

i think u missed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUf8jdrUENU&feature=related

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 02:14:04 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
one of my fav. lyracists of all time is canibus... very underrated imo (though he had a very weak stretch when he tried to fued with eminem, and eminem ignored him)

i think u missed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUf8jdrUENU&feature=related

apparantly I did, I still think it woulda been more poignant to not respond if I were Marshall Mathers =)

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
I am not a fan of Eastcoast rap. Westside till I die!

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I am not a fan of Eastcoast rap. Westside till I die!

If you're not a fan of Wu you're not a rap fan, i don't care where you live.

Darklord, i'd love to look through your cds and itunes, we have a similar music taste - love canibus, jedi, 7l and esoteric.  i actually went to rock the bells the past 2 years and have started to dig super natural, he's just incredible.  just grabbed 2 of his cds (s.p.i.t. and the lost freestyle files), both of which are awesome and i highly reccomend.

p.s.
how about some love for inspectah? he's underrated.  uncontrolled substance is one of my favorite cds.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes