Author Topic: So I went to buy the new GZA/Genius album today...  (Read 16465 times)

So I went to buy the new GZA/Genius album today...
« on: August 19, 2008, 07:43:30 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I'm sure most people don't know this, but one of the best MC's ever, the GZA/Genius, released a new album today. As a huge Wu fan, of course the first thing I have to do after getting out of work is to go pick up the album.  I go to Best Buy since they usually have a large variety of music at decent prices (and that's where I bought the equally unpromoted and underapreciated RZA album back in June), but there was no GZA albums there, none.  And I'm not just talking the new album, I'm talking no Liquid Swords, no Beneath the Surface, no Legend of the Liquid Swords, no GrandMasters, no nothing!  How can you have a Hip Hop section and not have one GZA album in stock?  It's not like they were sold out, there wasn't even a place for them!  They had tons of G-Unit CD's misplaced in the rap section though(they need to put that garbage in the Pop section or in the dumbster where it belongs).  I find it's only appropriate that I'm listening to the 50/G-Unit bashing track Paper Plate as I vent right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAIV2ZYsIA
"Have you ever been stung by a thousand hornets
Five hundred Killa Beez, buzzing and really on it
Whipped with Cuban Linx and cut with Liquid Swords
Choked by Ironmen til we crush your vocal chords"

Luckily I was able to find the new GZA album at Target of all places (and unlike Best Buy they actually had a couple of spots for it), glad to see it was practically all sold out too.

Half way through the album, and so far so good, not disappointed at all, but GZA never disappoints as far as I'm concerned.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: So I went to buy the new GZA/Genius album today...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
im not surprised they didnt have it.

go to newbury comics, they have a great selection of underground stuff and will definately have the gza album.  i was planning on copping it tomorrow morning.  how is it?

edit:  i see u copped at target and that its good so far thru ur listen.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:02:14 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
I bought the equally unpromoted and underapreciated RZA album back in June

its the WU, they dont need to promote ;)

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:08:48 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
I bought the equally unpromoted and underapreciated RZA album back in June

its the WU, they dont need to promote ;)

Lol, as long as they have fans like me and you, ya know they'll sell 100,000 units easily (as long as it's not U-God).  Just like GZA is saying in the Paper Plate intro "I would say it's sorta like a cult following."

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i knew when i saw the thread title dark lord would respond at some point.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:17:36 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

lol, thats so true.  if the thread is about star wars or wu-tang (other than the celts), im most def in the discussion!

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:21:06 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

lol, thats so true.  if the thread is about star wars or wu-tang (other than the celts), im most def in the discussion!

good on you dark lord, i wondered where you'd gotten to. i was trying my jedi mind tricks on redz in another thread and needed your help. alas, you never came :'(

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 08:27:50 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

good on you dark lord, i wondered where you'd gotten to. i was trying my jedi mind tricks on redz in another thread and needed your help. alas, you never came :'(

sorry bro, been on vacation and bored with the blog during the dog days of summer.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:44:58 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

sorry bro, been on vacation and bored with the blog during the dog days of summer.

that's almost blasphemous. ;)

i hear ya though.

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 08:47:14 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

i hear ya though.

its the truth tho, at least with me.  nothing has happened this off season.  how many threads can u really get into when the same mundane things are posted again, and again, and again, etc.   ;)

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:51:13 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

i hear ya though.

its the truth tho, at least with me.  nothing has happened this off season.  how many threads can u really get into when the same mundane things are posted again, and again, and again, etc.   ;)

i agree, i myself had a few weeks off posting - just logged on for news and the babble - and if not for medical reasons i'd probably still be largely inactive on the posting front.

so, back to the wu...

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:54:09 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
This isn't 1995! Liquid Swords isn't in style with kids these days! When GZA releases his own lollipop song you can expect to see GZA albums on store racks

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
Hey dark lord, did you ever pick up The Almighty Original S.I.N. album? Couldn't find that in any stores by me so I had to order it online.  I like it, I think it's very similar to the Wisemen album that came out last year, not as good as The Great Migration album (which is the best Wu-Affiliate album ever in my opinion, not including Gravediggaz).

And for those who don't know, here's a commercial for The Almighty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP-MtFRke_I

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
bdm860, you're right about 50 Cent/G-Unit being re-categorized into the Pop section. Basically all mainstream hip-hop nowadays should be categorized in the Pop section, underground rappers needs to be heard.

About the new GZA album, I haven't got it yet but plan on doing so this week. GZA and RZA has always been my favorite members of Wu-Tang, really glad they are still rappin'.

TP for ya.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:37:59 PM by BigAlTheFuture »
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6