Author Topic: Cavs Board to Delonte: I chu-chu-chooose you!  (Read 3734 times)

Cavs Board to Delonte: I chu-chu-chooose you!
« on: August 19, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I found this link via the BDL 10 man rotation today. The website, Cavsboard.com, did a rundown on all their 2 guards (Debbie Gibson, Terrance Kinsey, Sasha Pavlovic, Wally World). Here is what they said about West.

Delonte West:

Delonte West is the guy I’d like to see get the job.  He can handle to ball, so whether the Cavs find that Mo is better off the ball or on it, they could essentially have two players on the floor who can initiate the offense alongside Lebron.  Call whichever the point guard you wish.  They both are more effective in that role than Gibson or the recently departed Damon Jones.

West showed up and delivered with the Cavaliers almost immediately following his trade from the Sonics.  And when the playoffs came around, Delonte played even bigger.  He raised his three point shooting percentage from 37% to 43% and had three separate games where he scored more than 20 points.

Just as important he showed the desire to have the ball in his hands during crucial possessions and always seemed to be getting key steals or blocks when you least expected it.  He’s considerably smaller than both Wally and Sasha and yet when you put his defensive stats against those two, it tells a different story.

Sasha: 2.5 rebounds per game, 0.6 steals per game, 0.1 blocks per game

Wally: 2.9 rebounds per game, 0.3 steals per game, 0.2 blocks per game

Delonte: 3.7 rebounds per game, 1.1 steals per game, 0.7 blocks per game

Assuming he works out his contractual issues, I’d like to see him open the 2008 season as the starter at the shooting guard position.  He finished the season strong, and despite the acquisition of Mo Williams, I believe he’s earned the right to get the first crack at the job.  Regardless, he’ll likely see more time than both Pavlovic and Szczerbiak as the utility guard who can play at both the point and shooting guard positions.

Verdict: Starter, will shift to the point when Mo sits, 25 minutes a night

Cavaliers like them some Delonte, yes?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Cavs Board to Delonte: I chu-chu-chooose you!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 05:20:54 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
hopefully delonte finds a home.

i don't see him as a starter on a championship team though.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
hard to blame them for liking West.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:08:38 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
DW RULEZZZZ
Hes a playaaaa!!!!!!!

Hes My Boy
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:27:57 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
hopefully delonte finds a home.

i don't see him as a starter on a championship team though.

Agreed.

What about Chicago?  Who is there backup point?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:40:16 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
What do you guys think his natural position is-push come to shove?

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:44:27 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

I'd say backup point guard. 

I think he is stuck as a backup point, which I don't think is a bad thing at all.  The league does need role players, after all.   He's really not good enough to be a starting point, at least not on a great team and not good enough or big enough to play and defend the 2.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »

Offline Fastbreak

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
It'll be fun to watch the Cavs..I wonder how long it will take for Mo to adjust to the fact that he is not the first, second, or third scoring option, because Lebron is the first, second and third scoring option....Edgar is right D West is simply a player..and will start..

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 09:12:59 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Maybe we should wait till the Cavs sign him before claiming he will start. FWIW the Cavs would be better off finding a legit 2 guard. D. West might be the best of that sorry bunch...but they still suck.

Pete

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 09:22:13 AM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

I'd say backup point guard. 

I think he is stuck as a backup point, which I don't think is a bad thing at all.  The league does need role players, after all.   He's really not good enough to be a starting point, at least not on a great team and not good enough or big enough to play and defend the 2.

I agree.  D-West has heart and is a nice player, but I would not want to slot him as defending the 2 night in and night out.  Of course, if Wally is my other option, he'll be just fine, but D-West is not long enough to regularly defend the 2.