Author Topic: Any takers for Scalabrine?  (Read 18569 times)

Re: Any takers for Scalabrine?
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 11:16:48 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
how about Scal for Troy Murphy??

Troy Murphy is a very good player who is quite a bit better than Scal.  Again, this is the fundamental flaw in comparing Scal to other teams' starters.

I wasn't trying to compare Rasho to Scal numerically, I was just comparing the types of minutes they play. But here are numbers to prove my point bout Scal's worthlessness of his numbers in garbage time.

Scot Pollard     minutes per game 7.9      rebounds per game 1.70
 Brian Scalabrine    minutes per game 10.7     rebounds per game 1.60

Both players for Boston played mostly garbage time, and Pollard even played less minutes and still took in more rebounds. I don't see the worth of this guy. I don't see his defense for the SF position, and even at PF, I'd rather see a stronger player like Powe on the floor, not Scalabrine.

Pollard is a center.  Scal is a SF/PF.  Their stats aren't necessarily comparable, and Pollard is actually a pretty good rebounder and defender.  I'm not sure what the point is.

Anyway, nobody is saying that Scal is a great rebounder.  However, he does a good job keeping his man off the boards, too.  For instance, despite being a poor rebounder, Scal was only out-rebounded by 1.5 rebounds per 48 minutes; he kept opposing PFs to 8.9 rebounds for every 48 minutes.  That's pretty solid.

Again...  the guy is the 13th man on the roster.  If people learned to accept that, they'd feel a lot better about Scal's production.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:48:15 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2008, 11:30:59 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
how about Scal for Troy Murphy??

Troy Murphy is a very good player who is quite a bit better than Scal.  Again, this is the fundamental flaw in comparing Scal to other teams' starters.

I wasn't trying to compare Rasho to Scal numerically, I was just comparing the types of minutes they play. But here are numbers to prove my point bout Scal's worthlessness of his numbers in garbage time.

Scot Pollard     minutes per game 7.9      rebounds per game 1.70
 Brian Scalabrine    minutes per game 10.7     rebounds per game 1.60

Both players for Boston played mostly garbage time, and Pollard even played less minutes and still took in more rebounds. I don't see the worth of this guy. I don't see his defense for the SF position, and even at PF, I'd rather see a stronger player like Powe on the floor, not Scalabrine.

Pollard is a center.  Scal is a SF/PF.  Their stats aren't necessarily comparable, and Pollard is actually a pretty good rebounder and defender.  I'm not sure what the point is.

Anyway, nobody is saying that Scal is a great rebounder.  However, he does a good job keeping his man off the boards, too.  For instance, despite being a poor rebounder, Scal was only rebounded by 1.5 rebounds per 48 minutes; he kept opposing PFs to 8.9 rebounds for every 48 minutes.  That's pretty solid.

Again...  the guy is the 13th man on the roster.  If people learned to accept that, they'd feel a lot better about Scal's production.

And those are just the tangibles
Yup

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 12:01:31 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
A few of points about Scal:

He brings 6 fouls to every game.  He rarely makes a bad foul, and when a hard foul is called for, the other guy knows he's been fouled.

He is rarely in the wrong place on the floor or in a play.  His defensive rotations and help defense are solid.

He hustles.  Sometimes its to no avail, but it sets a tone and example for the young guys. He models and mentors.  He shows guys how to live clean and work hard in the NBA.  He's a good team mate. He is by no means the most talented or athletic, but he gets the most out of what he's got.

Knocks on his weight and conditioning are overstated.  I've seen the man close up.  He's not jacked, but he's not soft either.  Even if he is the worst physical specmein in the NBA (he's not), he's still in the NBA and holding his own.  Can't do that if you're not fit.

He has some savvy vet moves.  I remember a game against Detroit 2 years ago when he was inbounding and no one could get free.  He did a slick bounce out of bounds off his defender and got another chance with a fresh clock.

Maybe he's overpaid.  Maybe not.  It's not my money, or yours.  If Wyc doesn't mind, niether do I.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:15:08 PM by FatKidsDad »
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2008, 01:11:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think if Scal were making less money, there would be less complaints about him.

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I think if Scal were making less money, there would be less complaints about him.

No there wouldn't.  Only about one in ten posts mention his salary.  If people didn't have that to complain about, they'd make it up 3-4 fold with all of the other things about him they complain about.

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 01:34:40 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

No, people complaint because he's a terrible basketball player. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 03:22:26 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

I complain because people think that Scalabrine + one young player not named Rondo or Perkins + a 2nd round pick is going to yield a borderline All Star. 

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
We just need to put up with him for one more season, but the difference if that he wont play as half as many minutes as he used to play. In return we will get something with the trade value the he has/will have.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 03:38:58 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
i have some yard work; send Scal over.

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

Find an illegal for that, T4TD.  I don't think somebody making what Scal does needs to "do the work others won't do".

I complain because people think that Scalabrine + one young player not named Rondo or Perkins + a 2nd round pick is going to yield a borderline All Star. 

We've seen thru the Lakers of Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton what accumulating too many all stars can result in for a championship team. 

Finding somebody who can at least come close to filling Posey's role should be a goal.  But if it ain't broke......Build on it.  Like it or not, Scal was a key, albiet, bit player during #17.

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 05:37:25 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

That's a fair point. I'm yet to see a Scal+Pruitt for Gadzuric (a feasible trade, I think) trade proposal. But fantasying about unrealistic trades that would tremendously improve your team is part of being a fan. Anyway, I think that Scal's expiring is a nice salary filler, especially because it can be paid entirely using the $3 million in cash one can send in a trade. So, I believe that in the next off-season a package of Scal+young player that shows signs of promise next season+cash+pick can be enough to grab, not a borderline all-star, not even a starter, but a decent bench player with a longer contract from a team who's trying to dump salaries and rebuild. 

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 09:34:11 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Find an illegal for that, T4TD.  I don't think somebody making what Scal does needs to "do the work others won't do".

We've seen thru the Lakers of Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton what accumulating too many all stars can result in for a championship team. 

Finding somebody who can at least come close to filling Posey's role should be a goal.  But if it ain't broke......Build on it.  Like it or not, Scal was a key, albiet, bit player during #17.

You're right about the Lakers and you're right about Posey...but that has absolutely nothing to do with Scalabrine.  That's what infuriates me about him.  I'll buy the notion that he's not as bad as some people make him out to be, but I'm not going to buy that he's ever going to be much value to this team, either as a trade chip or a player.  Yet people keep trying to suggest he's going to be.  He certainly wasn't "a key, albeit, bit player during #17."  This team would've won #17 Scalabrine or not. 

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 10:15:53 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Scal was much better his first two years heret han last.  He went 38%-40%-31% in FG% and 36%-40%-33% 3FG%.  It seems as though he would have better shot opportunities playing on a better team.  Beyond the stats, he just never looked comfortable on the court last year.

You can only suit up 12 guys a night and I doubt he will be one of the 12 very often.  You might as well have Scal on the team and being a practice body.  I also think that Scal will have a bounce back year and be better than last (which isn't saying much).

Scal was better in his first two year because the team was terrible. On a 20 win team he'd be a average player. He does play hard but doesn't have the skill set to be in the NBA. The only way we trade him is on last year of his contract year as a throw in with to make salaries work. Scal's reached his pinicle which isn't saying much. Better off leaving him in street clothes. My only knock on Doc was it seemed like he though he had to play Scal, and it took him too long to figured out they were better off when he gave the minutes to other players.

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 11:40:53 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
A few of points about Scal:

He brings 6 fouls to every game.  He rarely makes a bad foul, and when a hard foul is called for, the other guy knows he's been fouled.

He is rarely in the wrong place on the floor or in a play.  His defensive rotations and help defense are solid.

He hustles.  Sometimes its to no avail, but it sets a tone and example for the young guys. He models and mentors.  He shows guys how to live clean and work hard in the NBA.  He's a good team mate. He is by no means the most talented or athletic, but he gets the most out of what he's got.

Knocks on his weight and conditioning are overstated.  I've seen the man close up.  He's not jacked, but he's not soft either.  Even if he is the worst physical specmein in the NBA (he's not), he's still in the NBA and holding his own.  Can't do that if you're not fit.

He has some savvy vet moves.  I remember a game against Detroit 2 years ago when he was inbounding and no one could get free.  He did a slick bounce out of bounds off his defender and got another chance with a fresh clock.

Maybe he's overpaid.  Maybe not.  It's not my money, or yours.  If Wyc doesn't mind, niether do I.

Nice post.  The sad reality of being an end of the bench guy is that it is easily forgtten that it takes a temendous athlete to play in the NBA.  How many times (yes, even you 20 year olds) could you run full steam back and forth down an NBA court.  I give me 2 times and I'd be huffing (though I am an old guy).  Scal makes a relatively insignificant (by NBA standards) salary -- proabably overpaid by 1 or 2 million, but there are overpaid (and many by WAY more) players on virtually every team in the NBA.  Check out hoopshype.com and look at teams' 10th, 11th, 12th guys --many in Scal's ballpark (salary and talent-wise). 

The post above illustrates what value Scal brings to the table, and its OK value -- even if its just modeling professionalism as a bench player. 

His value in a trade is not worth discussing, but in a year his contract will be attractive as a trade add-on for some teams. 

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2008, 12:30:39 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
2 funny things I find bout this thread I created...1. It brought out all the Scal fans and Haters. 2. I didn't see as many trade ideas as I hoped, speaking that this was the Trade Ideas section.

Someone above said it's about being a fan to put together trades for out team to help us out, but the point is to encourage ppl to try and make logical trades. There are more than enough teams out there with players on their roster that aren't likely to play for that team this year..and even though 9 out of 10 of them are financially out of our grasp, I would just hope we could be the team to loan in a player(Scal) or two(BBD) in exchange for a piece that makes more sense for our bench to be successful. Someone also made the factual point that with or without Scal, we would have won #17. His highlight for last year would have been his post finals game conference when he said he would tell his son in a few years that he played a vital role in winning the championship, and in 10 years he'd tell him he won the MVP. I don't like hating on ppl that have done no wrong, BUT, for his and our own sake, surely we could trade him elsewhere for him to get solid minutes and us get a player to contribute with #s
Can't stop, Rondo!