Author Topic: Any takers for Scalabrine?  (Read 18566 times)

Any takers for Scalabrine?
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:16:54 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
A red-headed 6'9 "PF" who quite possibly was Boston's best male cheerleader. Our roster on paper is clearly lacking an experience backup SF, and this guy is NOT our answer. He's too weak to play PF, and he's too slow to play SF. His best luck would be to be traded somewhere that needs a shooting "PF" and doesn't play much D, like New York with D'Antoni. I hate the idea of a 6'4 Tony Allen getting minutes at SF, or Giddens/Bill Walker(if ever signed) forced into big minutes at the position. What logical options do we have to rid the 2 years left of his contract onto some else's lap and in exchange get our true backup SF or C?

We also have a log jam at the PF(too small to play C effectively) position with the twin skills of Powe and BBD. I want to keep Powe if possible, so could we look to include BBD as well to fill in this roster below...

Rondo/House/Pruitt
Ray Al/Tony Al/
Pierce/???/Giddens
KG/Powe/Bill Walker(if ever signed)
Perk/0'Bryant/???
Can't stop, Rondo!

Re: Any takers for Scalabrine?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:59:26 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
I hate to be the 1st to reply to my own post but...i put together this trade idea. Seems great for all teams....

Boston gets Dorell Wright(2.7) and Mourning(1.2) Loses Scalabrine(-3.2) and BBD(-.7)

Miami gets Starbury(21.9) and BBD(.7) and loses Marion(-17.1) and Wright(-2.7) and Mourning(-1.2) and Quinn(-1.2)

New York gets Marion(17.1) and Scal(3.2) and Quinn(1.2) loses Starbury(-21.9)

New York rids themselves of the Starbury, but adds an expiring contract of Marion, plus another shooting PF for D'Antoni's system plus a shooting PG with Quinn(No idea what kind of contract he would get, 1.2 was just a default)

Miami seems to lose the most, but not really. Quinn is seemingly replaced by Chalmers, and I think Stephon just needs a new start away from the big apple. A back court of Wade/Marbury sounds kinda scary, plus Mourning isnt a guarantee to return, so maybe his veteran's min contract could include an injury clause like Darius Miles wants.
BBD would be great behind Beasley as he continues to shape up and eventually drop his chunky nickname

Boston succeeds in losing Scals contract and the logjam of PFs, and in exchange gains the needed SF with a growing shooting touch in Dorell Wright, and I think he can learn team Defense. Also with a healthy Mourning, we could have the returning championship caliber team that we need.

Duhon/Nate Robinson/(Quinn)  (Starbury)/Chalmers/Banks   Rondo/House/Pruitt
Crawford/Jefferies            Wade/Cook                  Ray Al/Tony Al/Giddens
(Marion)/Q-Rich/Gallineri     James Jones/Diawara        Pierce/(Dorell Wright)/Bill Walker(if ever signed)
Z-Bo/(Scal)/Wilson Chandler   Beasley/(BBD)              KG/Powe
David Lee/Malik Allen         Blount/Haslem              Perk/O'Bryant/(Alonzo Mourning)
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:03:35 AM »

Offline 2008CELTICS17

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
That would be great for us! Not good for eat.Marion for Marbury would'nt happen. We can hope.Stanger trades have happened. ;)

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 01:08:18 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
That would be great for us! Not good for eat.Marion for Marbury would'nt happen. We can hope.Stanger trades have happened. ;)

Make an argument for me. I don't see why it wouldn't help both teams. Marbury might be locker room trouble, but Marion could be as well if he's not satisfied with enough ball touches. Plus Miami needs a proven PG + offense, and Stephon can do both. As for Marion, he'd be back into D'Antoni's system where he thrived(yet complained), but would be a better situation for him. New York gets Marbury off their books, and Miami gets the PG that they need. Boston is just there to pick up the smaller pieces of the trade...
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:04:03 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
His best luck would be to be traded somewhere that needs a shooting "PF" and doesn't play much D

Not to quibble too much, but Scal is actually an above-average defender.  In the past, he's played very effective defense against KG, Big Al, Rashard Lewis, and others.  It's on the offensive end that he struggles a bit.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:16:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Make an argument for me. I don't see why it wouldn't help both teams. Marbury might be locker room trouble, but Marion could be as well if he's not satisfied with enough ball touches. Plus Miami needs a proven PG + offense, and Stephon can do both. As for Marion, he'd be back into D'Antoni's system where he thrived(yet complained), but would be a better situation for him. New York gets Marbury off their books, and Miami gets the PG that they need. Boston is just there to pick up the smaller pieces of the trade...

Because Marion is one of the top 20 players in the league, and Marbury is a guy who is as likely to be boughtout as he is to be traded, simply because no one wants him.  You could put Cleveland in this trade, and replace Marbury with Szerbiak, and it would be looked at the same way for Miami.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:28:29 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
No way the Heat pull this deal. Marion is in a contract year, back with a healthy Wade and newly acquired Beasley.  The Heat feel pretty good about their team right now, I don't think they do this at all.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 08:32:31 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
With Scal's contract expiring after the 2010 season why would be trade him this year?

2010 is a pivotal year for a lot of teams in the NBA looking to make a run at the Free agency class of James, Bosh, Anthony and others.

Chances are, if we wait until next summer, we can get a $1.50 - $2.00 for our $1.00
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 12:22:16 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
His best luck would be to be traded somewhere that needs a shooting "PF" and doesn't play much D

Not to quibble too much, but Scal is actually an above-average defender.  In the past, he's played very effective defense against KG, Big Al, Rashard Lewis, and others.  It's on the offensive end that he struggles a bit.

Okay...he has enough speed to guard PFs, but he falls into the SF category...in which he could never guard LeBron, Melo, or Odom. Either way, I don't see the point of keeping Scal on the books for bench warming purposes until next season when his trade value would be slightly better. Surely some team wants him, right?
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 12:39:28 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
guys, i cant believe some of u are arguing that scal can do something productive.
he is just a terrible, overweight player.
no one will trade for him, if i was a GM i wouldnt take him for free.
best thing to do is wait till his contract ends, which will be a big freeagent yr

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:42:50 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Because Marion is one of the top 20 players in the league, and Marbury is a guy who is as likely to be boughtout as he is to be traded, simply because no one wants him.  You could put Cleveland in this trade, and replace Marbury with Szerbiak, and it would be looked at the same way for Miami.

My sentiments exactly.  Well put, Chris.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 07:25:06 AM »

Offline pbon

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Mabey a team over seas will offer Scal him 6 Million a year

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 07:34:05 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Okay...he has enough speed to guard PFs, but he falls into the SF category...in which he could never guard LeBron, Melo, or Odom. Either way, I don't see the point of keeping Scal on the books for bench warming purposes until next season when his trade value would be slightly better. Surely some team wants him, right?

Actually, he has done an excellent job at guarding "power 3's" in the past.  He didn't get much of a chance last year, but two years ago, he was their best defender against anyone like that, except Lebron, who Pierce would actually step up his defensive intensity against.

It seems like way too many people look at his body type and assume that he cannot stay with quicker players, when in reality, his excellent lateral quickness, and general understanding of how to play defense make him an exceptional perimeter defender.

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 07:42:56 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Several have mentioned about Scal's defensive capabilities. He could be the guy to give us some of the help needed to replace Posey. Posey was a good defender because he knew how to prepare to play his man and anticipated well. Scal's has similar skills. As to speed and quickness re: Scals/Posey I don't think there is much difference. I also think, that if he can get his confidence back Scals could hit a few three's a game. I'm not saying Scals can give us all that Posey gave, but this is why he was bought here and hopefully he can deliver this year.

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 07:50:03 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Boy, I just don't see Scal's skill set in the same sentence with Posey's at all. He's done all right defending the 3s, but he's never going to shut down Kobe for eight-minute stretches.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."