Author Topic: I Thought The Rest of the World Caught Up?  (Read 17561 times)

I Thought The Rest of the World Caught Up?
« on: August 17, 2008, 01:06:48 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
..in basketball.  I never really thought that though.  I always thought the reason it appeared the world caught up is that the US just didn't send their best.  None of the real superstars wanted to participate and that's the reason they lost and it appeared the world had caught up. 

Even the US women are unbeatable and just dominant.

Sorry, the world has not caught up.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: I Thought The Rest of the World Caught Up?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:30:25 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
..in basketball.  I never really thought that though.  I always thought the reason it appeared the world caught up is that the US just didn't send their best.  None of the real superstars wanted to participate and that's the reason they lost and it appeared the world had caught up. 

Even the US women are unbeatable and just dominant.

Sorry, the world has not caught up.

You're basing this off of pool play from this year?   ::)  The world has caught up and to be so arrogant about it ticks me off.  You've got to realize that these euro teams play tricks.  I'm not saying Spain intentionally lost, but think about it.  If they beat them now they know the USA would be out for revenage if they met up again.  So when the US got up early on Spain and Spain quit trying in the game there's the possibility that their egos get the better of them.  All it takes is one game.  Sure the other players don't have the athleticism of the US players but they are better shooters and work better as a team.  If the world hadn't caught up then the USA still be undefeated.  I still wouldn't be surprised if the USA didn't get gold this year. It takes one game, and that's all a team needs. 

The last game against Spain was a fluke imo.  30 points from 3's...if they hit their usaul 3-4 3's they don't blow spain out at all.  You have to see the big picture here and the odds of the USA hitting that many threes again, while it could happen, is more than not going to happen. 

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 01:34:07 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
The 2002 and 2006 World Championships and the 2004 Olympics didn't happen?

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The world has caught up and now USA can't just go through the motions to see the games.  USA is still the best team, but as it showed on the games against Greece and Spain (if u saw them u would've noticed) that team USA actually had to play defense and physical basketball in order to get the wins.  Basically, they had to play like a team.  If they keep playing like that, then they'll win it all.  If they let up, then they'll lose to the likes of Spain, Greece, Lithuania or Argentina.

Honestly, I like that better.  One of the reasons I loved this year's Celtics team so much was their team play.  Team USA used to play like an All Star game (exhibition games and first 2 games) but for the elimination round, they'll have to play like champions.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 01:57:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If the 10 or 12 best basketball players in the United States get together, compete hard, and play to win, there's no international squad in the world that can even hang with them.  I firmly believe this.

The United States' problem in recent years has been 1) sending inferior players, and 2) not taking the competition seriously enough.  That has changed this year, and I expect to see the U.S. carry its results through to the medal round.

(In terms of the "caught up" question, no, the world hasn't "caught up" to the United States.  It has closed the gap quite a bit, as there are a number of legitimate international teams with top-tier NBA talent.  However, I think its off-base to think that other teams can put the same talent on the floor as the United States if the U.S. stars decide to show up.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
They have caught up. They just haven't caught up to D-Wade, Lebron, Kobe, and Chris Paul!

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 02:22:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the rest of the world did catch up, but what changed was the usa's approach towards international play.  having players make comitments and actually building a team, rather than a group of talented players.  the days of throwing a bunch of nba players together, without preparation, and expecting to get the gold, are long over.  we did what was needed and again are on top of the bball world.  however, in order to truly be on top, they must get the job done and get the gold.  i hope they continue to do it in convinving style so that it sends a message to the rest of the world.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 02:42:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the US could put together a real team that spent as much time as the teams from other countries do (including the top players the US has to offer), yes, US would be by far, the best team. 

This team is still just one bad shooting night away from being a disappointment. 

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »

Offline saibnel

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I agree 100% with Roy. The world has closed the gap but they have not caught up our best brought together in the right way with a team not star system is still a dominant force, not unbeatable, but dominant.

The thing that has always bothered me about "internationl play catching up" is .....They took a game the US invented and changed the rules! Then caught up to us when using those rules.

So as americans can we change the rules of soccer for the MLS to take better advantage of our players (enter what ever attribute you wold like) then have italy, brazil, england etc..have to play the world cup on a field that is 90% as big with a trapazoid goal box and an offsides rule that is slightly adjusted?

America invented basketball, international competition should be played by the rules established here.

The sad part is I like the international game, I just will never understand how people who did not invent the game are now dictating to the people who did "the rules of the game that will decide the world/olympic champions

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 02:55:48 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

The US didn't send their best those years.  That was the point I was making.  If you don't send your best, of course teams will either beat you or compete very well against you, making it appear they have caught up.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

To be fair, the 2004 squad DID have Stephon Marbury on that team. That dude loses everything, he is the definition of a loser.

I'd still call the other two events flukes, too.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
A Canadian invented Basketball.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 04:57:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

While in the United States. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 04:58:32 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders

While in the United States. ;)

Still a Canadian. He's our dagnabit.  ;D

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 05:00:25 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
They have caught up. They just haven't caught up to D-Wade, Lebron, Kobe, and Chris Paul!

exactly. they're good, but when they lack talent, the offensive sets just don't work anymore.

Become Legendary.